Going Dark

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
For any doubter out there,like I was...this job was not too bad. In fact,I thought the dark side tire went on the rim quite easily. Soapy water is your friend. The tire was OVER 9 inches wide before install. Plastic bags and remove caliper and it slid right in. I put 26 pounds in it and rode 10 kms so far and it feels different but I'll quickly get used to it. It does seem to find the ruts in the road and follow them.

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Did notice in the video that the tire does not flex but lifts up on the edge of the tire. This indicates that he is using high tire pressure. Doing so make for the bad handling that he talks about.
Try riding the CT with 45 psi then drop it to 26 psi and ride the same route. The weird handling disappears.
no effort keeping the bike vertical when stopped on a non flat road...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
No, because someone else will knock over your bike when you are not looking...
but you can stop at a stop sign, wait for traffic to clear, before preceding, with out putting your feet down...
Yes, I could do the same with a MC tire but that took a lot more effort.....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
but you can stop at a stop sign, wait for traffic to clear, before preceding, with out putting your feet down...
Funny you mention that -- it's my favorite game to play at traffic lights and stop signs. How far / how slow can I go without putting a foot down?
Skills practice, every ride, all the time.
And it's not that hard. Be smooth.
More style points.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
stop at a stop sign, wait for traffic to clear, before preceding, with out putting your feet down...
Geeze I'd do that ALL THE TIME just to see if anybody notices. :rofl1: It would/could probably only be the car behind me unless I put my feet on the grips. Or get off the bike to a check of something then get back on.

spiderman302 said:
No that would take a LOT more effort than I'd consider investing.

One question – with most of these DS and DDS conversations does the height and attitude/angle of the bike stay near factory? Or is there a wider selection of sizes and aspect ratios than I'm imagining?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
At this end of the spectrum there is a limited number of ratios in sizes, I looked for a 195 but did not find any back when I took the leap.
Many others were already using the 205 and were not having fit issues. There are very small changes in geometry that are not noticeable.
I think the height is lower. The smoother more comfortable ride makes all those details meaningless.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Ah, yes.
Naugahyde.
Whatever happened to all those little Naugas? They were so damn cute.
Did we make them go extinct, or did they simply go back where they came from?
After causing mayhem in our universe they went back to their own where they'd be no more trible at all.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
UPDATE on dark side.
I have only put about 500 kms on my Canadian Tire rear car tire. So far, I'm impressed. I have rode on highway at 80mph, dirt roads, rain, and around town, solo and 2 up. No issues. In fact, I think it helps on dirt roads which is good b/c I plan to drive the TransLab highway in a couple of weeks alone. I am running at 28 lbs now. I think I will lower it to the recommended 26 tonight.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
In fact, I think it helps on dirt roads which is good b/c I plan to drive the TransLab highway in a couple of weeks alone.
I did that when it was all gravel. Quite the trip.
I thought that it was all paved all the way to Happy Valley-Goose Bay now.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I am amazed and impressed at this Dark Side thread! Very tired of only getting 9k miles from the $300 Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III’s (twice now). True, I’m taking on VT and NH mountain roads fairly aggressively, but I expect more. I guess I could calm down just a little.

Anyway, which car tires? Who do I get to mount, balance? The Honda place? My local mechanic?

I think I would keep the Roadsmarts on the front.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Riding through the mountain switchbacks around RockSToc 5 , I almost forgot I had a GYTT on the rear & rear BT45 on the front , as far as leaning & handling , Didn't slip in angled gravel either.
Hi - what are these? GYTT? BT45? Thanks

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I still don't "get" the why, for reversing a m/c rear on the front. Front on the back?
Well, ok... but why mount it backwards?
But it's common enough with darksiders across multiple forums, that I would do it.
I've learned it's not always critical for me to completely understand the truth of a thing, for me to accept it as truth.
(But I'd like to...)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I still don't "get" the why, for reversing a m/c rear on the front. Front on the back?
But it's common enough with darksiders across multiple forums, that I would do it.
I've learned it's not always critical for me to completely understand the truth of a thing, for me to accept it as truth.
(But I'd like to...)
If you ever rode a darkside rear with a regular sized front on the ST1300.. you'd know.. it's like riding a tricycle, it wants to stand straight up and there's lots of tension in turns .... the larger profile front tire - still a MC tire - reduces that effect by quite a bit.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you ever rode a darkside rear with a regular sized front on the ST1300.. you'd know.. it's like riding a tricycle, it wants to stand straight up and there's lots of tension in turns .... the larger profile front tire - still a MC tire - reduces that effect by quite a bit.
But, but, but... why ride the back tire on the front, "backwards"?
Don't d-s'ers usually reverse the tire rotation when they move the back to the front?
As I say, enough people do it that way, that I won't go ...reinventing the wheel.
So to speak.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
But, but, but... why ride the back tire on the front, "backwards"?
Don't d-s'ers usually reverse the tire rotation when they move the back to the front?
As I say, enough people do it that way, that I won't go ...reinventing the wheel.
So to speak.
You're not putting an ST 1300 rear tire on the front you're putting a tire some bikes used as a rear tire on the front a 130 I believe.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Rationale is: a motorcycle tire is designed with belts to provide structure and tread to provide traction. Tires need to both go and stop. The rear deals mostly with go forces (clockwise), and the front deals mostly with stopping forces (counter clockwise). Rationale may or may not be factual.

Tom

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
One thing to keep in mind, whether you’re pro or con on darkside, a $88 car tire from Walmart will get you home, when you’re a long way from home on a Sunday. One of the riders at my RTE, ruined a tire on his trip here. After a trailer recovery, and some experienced help from @W0QNX , a car tire was mounted, using only tire irons. Tire irons are available at most auto parts stores or Harbor Freight.

IMG_0306.jpeg

Top Bottom