Going Dark

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I still don't "get" the why, for reversing a m/c rear on the front. Front on the back?
The only clue I'm sure of is that every 'universal' tire I have seen shows opposite front and rear rotation.

My best guess is that the tread sipes work better differently for each position on the bike in rain.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
One thing to keep in mind, whether you’re pro or con on darkside, a $88 car tire from Walmart will get you home, when you’re a long way from home on a Sunday. One of the riders at my RTE, ruined a tire on his trip here. After a trailer recovery, and some experienced help from @W0QNX , a car tire was mounted, using only tire irons. Tire irons are available at most auto parts stores or Harbor Freight.

IMG_0306.jpeg
I’m no car tire fan on a motorcycle. But I was there when this happened. Thank you John and Raymond. Giving the situation I would have done the same thing to get me home. Would not have been afraid with John and Raymond assisting me to mount it. I would have ordered a PR6 when I got home. But car tires are going on my Cam-Am Spyder. I will pay the outrageous amount of money for tires on my Trophy SE.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
The only clue I'm sure of is that every 'universal' tire I have seen shows opposite front and rear rotation.

My best guess is that the tread sipes work better differently for each position on the bike in rain.
Rear tire needs traction for acceleration, front tire needs traction for braking.

Bike
2006 ST1300
GYTT = Goodyear Triple Tread automotive tire mounted on the rear.
Goodyear Triple Thread tire for my ST1300

BT45 = Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring motorcycle tires. Many people use a BT45 rear motorcycle tire mounted on the front in combination with an automotive tire mounted on the rear to get extended mileage out of both the front and rear.
Battlax Sport Touring BT-45

Thanks Andrew. Who did the mounting and balancing for you? I'll talk to the Honda dealer about this, they may do this all the time on Wings.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks Andrew. Who did the mounting and balancing for you? I'll talk to the Honda dealer about this, they may do this all the time on Wings.
I am not on the dark-side. I run motorcycle tires.

I have read that many motorcycle tire shops won't install a car tire- afraid of legal liability.
Many people seem to have had more luck with car tire shops if they have the machinery to do it on a motorcycle rim.

You will have to ask around in your location.

Bike
05 ST1300
I’ve put the CT‘s on the rim with spoons, but never successfully taken one off. Harbour Freight (Princess Auto in Can.) sells a tire machine for do-it-yourselfers that some guys have used successfully to Re and Re a rear CT. I get mine done by a member from here in Edmonton. He’s really good at it, he’s done dozens of them for different guys in Edmonton and that’s what he uses. Theres a company in Montreal that will do it as well, if that’s an option for you. PM me if you want their name n number.

I use a Pirelli, I think the most recent is a P7, whatever their most recent P model is. My 3rd one now. They are consistently a full half inch narrower that the GoodYear TT. I get about 25k miles out of one, run it at 28 and 30 when fully loaded. And they dont have the Hankook ‘wiggle’ that I found with a Hankook and many others also complain about.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I’ve put the CT‘s on the rim with spoons, but never successfully taken one off. Harbour Freight (Princess Auto in Can.) sells a tire machine for do-it-yourselfers that some guys have used successfully to Re and Re a rear CT. I get mine done by a member from here in Edmonton. He’s really good at it, he’s done dozens of them for different guys in Edmonton and that’s what he uses. Theres a company in Montreal that will do it as well, if that’s an option for you. PM me if you want their name n number.

I use a Pirelli, I think the most recent is a P7, whatever their most recent P model is. My 3rd one now. They are consistently a full half inch narrower that the GoodYear TT. I get about 25k miles out of one, run it at 28 and 30 when fully loaded. And they dont have the Hankook ‘wiggle’ that I found with a Hankook and many others also complain about.
Awesome, Thanks!!

Bike
05 ST1300
What company? I fleetingly contemplate dark-side every now and then. If ever I decide to give it a whirl, it would be good to know. Posting it could benefit others as well.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you, I don’t check in here all that often, obviously.

The company in Montreal is VT Motorcycle Maintenance. Reason I didn’t mention the name was cuz I couldn’t remember lol). Can’t say enough good about them. How I found them, I was on my way to Nfld last summer to the Rock Stoc. I knew I’d be needing a new tire before I got to Nfld, so I coordinated my Install with Pete’s Superbike (tires sales online), that recommended them. They’re a husband n wife team and they are amazing. I was a couple hours early for my appointment, and I stopped by on the off chance they could fit me in. Was hopeful, definitely not expecting it. I tried their door but it was locked. Tried it again in disbelief, they heard me rattling their door and opened it, turns out they closed for lunch. I explained who I was, what I was there for, they interrupted their lunch, put my bike on the rack, and changed my tire. Was in and out of there in less than half an hour, chatted with them while they were working. They were super friendly, found that my front bearings were on their way out (changed them while on the NL rock), and sent me on my way. $35 for the install, I gave them a $20 tip, they were happy, I was super happy. They locked the door behind me and presumably continued their lunch.

They do a LOT of tire swaps. Confirmed that they do Darkside installs as well. Whenever they do an install they take the sticky label off the tire and add it to a ball. It was about the size of a basketball. Started it earlier that same year. Before that they wrapped them onto their garbage cans but had to quit bc the cans were getting hard to handle bc of all this labelling on them. If I lived anywhere near Montreal I would use them for anything M/C related.

I am not sure that it makes that much difference in handling. The rear MC tire has a thicker tread, so there is more rubber, so it lasts longer on the front.

The key to using a Ct in the back is lower tire pressure. I run 26 psi in the rear with the Hankook, so there is more sidewall flex and there is no lift that you would get with higher pressure, the best part is that it gives an incredible smooth ride.
What about fuel economy...??

I've read about DarkSiding a lot (and with my screen name I should be amenable to it) but even with reports of lots of people doing it trouble free, it still just seems so wrong and dicey to me, with potential danger lurking!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've already noticed a 20% decline in fuel economy, hauling Kaiser around in my Bushtec Roadstar trailer.
If you know Bushtec at all, it's one of their smaller ones
So I don't see how my tire life is going to increase, either.
I can really see me going dark when my existing m/c tire stock is depleted.

Bike
05 ST1300
What about fuel economy...??

I've read about DarkSiding a lot (and with my screen name I should be amenable to it) but even with reports of lots of people doing it trouble free, it still just seems so wrong and dicey to me, with potential danger lurking!
Having spent the vast majority of my ST miles on rear only Darkside, I can say that there is no appreciable decrease in fuel mileage. I’ve ridden with other ST’s on day rides, we fill up at the same time and the same place having gone the exact same distance at identical speeds, and our mileage is identical, the only difference being I’m on a car tire, he’s on a bike tire. And, realistically, why would it be any different?

Re your scepticism: you have every right to be skeptical, and if you can’t reconcile it in your mind then you really should NOT go Darkside. Because you’d constantly be worried about what and when will this go wrong? And riding a bike is all about enjoying the experience, not worrying about having problems.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I am just one opinion. I am only on my 5th Darkside tire with 172,000 miles running double dark. The first tire was the oem MCT. The benefit of not having to change tires every three months is worth it. I still get 42 mpg and the soft ride makes me feel like I am floating down the road. Most off roaders know that more rubber on the road means more traction and more stopping. In dicey situations I would rather have the DS advantages. where I would be nervous on a MC tire with this bike is on gravel roads but they are no problem darkside. I have no fears with this set up. At 26 psi it feels like a MC tire. Now running BFgoodrich g-force comp-2 A/S.
But - You need to do what is best for you.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've been known to say around the Darkside circles, that my only real concern would be the proximity to the swingarm, as it would hurt me to take a grinder to that nice-looking aluminum.
But as I follow these threads at a safe distance, it seems there are more options now, where that destructive activity is not required.
I'm glad for that.

Top Bottom