Going Dark

Bike
05 ST1300
I've been known to say around the Darkside circles, that my only real concern would be the proximity to the swingarm, as it would hurt me to take a grinder to that nice-looking aluminum.
But as I follow these threads at a safe distance, it seems there are more options now, where that destructive activity is not required.
I'm glad for that.
My Pirelli is a good 1/4 inch from the swing arm, and there’s no shoe-horning it in either. Granted, I only get 28-30k miles from one.

Bike
05 ST1300
I believe that is « Cinturato »
I think you’re correct on that. I get 25k miles, gets close to the wear bars, and up to 30k goes into the wear bars, all depending on your right wrist action. I tend to use the sport part of st a fair bit so with a lighter hand, it might go further.

I am just one opinion. I am only on my 5th Darkside tire with 172,000 miles running double dark. The first tire was the oem MCT. The benefit of not having to change tires every three months is worth it. I still get 42 mpg and the soft ride makes me feel like I am floating down the road. Most off roaders know that more rubber on the road means more traction and more stopping. In dicey situations I would rather have the DS advantages. where I would be nervous on a MC tire with this bike is on gravel roads but they are no problem darkside. I have no fears with this set up. At 26 psi it feels like a MC tire. Now running BFgoodrich g-force comp-2 A/S.
But - You need to do what is best for you.

I have ran DS on my Goldwing and both Yamaha Stratoliners. Are there any good run flat options for the ST? What tire size are you running?

Thanks,

Marty

Bike
2010 ST1300
Question for you darksiders. Do you pull the rear wheel every 10 to 15K miles to Moly the splines? Or does one application of moly paste last the life of the car tire?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Question for you darksiders. Do you pull the rear wheel every 10 to 15K miles to Moly the splines? Or does one application of moly paste last the life of the car tire?
I have pulled my wheel off before my darkside tire wore out and looked at the splines and found them to be fine, easy to pull it off every once in a while to look at if you are worried.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I’m not actually a DS’er, but a smart tech told me a while back that most of the problems they saw with the lubricant was having it dry out from sitting to long on the hub unused. Ride more.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I’m not actually a DS’er, but a smart tech told me a while back that most of the problems they saw with the lubricant was having it dry out from sitting to long on the hub unused. Ride more.
I'd want to know what the solvents in the paste are before I was willing to believe his assertion. I doubt the tech knew what lubricant had been used and how long it sat before it dried out. It is more likely he found something in there that was dry and then said what he did. I think I remember seeing, but not sure, Honda's recommendation to lube the splines with every tire change. That works out to 8 to 12K miles for most riders, slightly shorter intervals for some and slightly longer for others. Extending the cleaning and lubing to 3x that just might be problematical (if car tires last from 24 to 30k miles).

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'd want to know what the solvents in the paste are before I was willing to believe his assertion. I doubt the tech knew what lubricant had been used and how long it sat before it dried out. It is more likely he found something in there that was dry and then said what he did. I think I remember seeing, but not sure, Honda's recommendation to lube the splines with every tire change. That works out to 8 to 12K miles for most riders, slightly shorter intervals for some and slightly longer for others. Extending the cleaning and lubing to 3x that just might be problematical (if car tires last from 24 to 30k miles).
It was Honda moly paste. Take some, put it on a spoon, put it in the drawer for a few years and see what consistency it becomes.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It was Honda moly paste. Take some, put it on a spoon, put it in the drawer for a few years and see what consistency it becomes.
I'd be afraid someone would either eat the stuff or wash the spoon. So, what happens if you put the goop on splines, replace the rear wheel with a CT, and since the rubber lasts so long (maybe 30K), not change the tire or remove the wheel for 5 years or longer?

I'd be afraid someone would either eat the stuff or wash the spoon. So, what happens if you put the goop on splines, replace the rear wheel with a CT, and since the rubber lasts so long (maybe 30K), not change the tire or remove the wheel for 5 years or longer?
Mine rusted. The paste dried into a powder and caused a worn out spline. I’ve used waterproof grease for the past 165,000 miles.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Really? probably the same thing if you do it with a M/C tire. Seems the dryness comes from time not moving.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Just a bit of data regarding time.
I bought a bottle of the locktite lube cheap, past expiration date.
What could go wrong in a sealed container?
It was like peanut butter. That would be ground peanuts, just peanuts before use.
The oil had separated to the top.
Like the peanut butter I stirred the oil and solids together.
Now old or new, open or not I will gently stir. Or is that fold.
Now don’t use the immersion blender from the kitchen, that might froth up the lube with air causing the oil to rancidify sooner.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
GAAAAHHHHH!
I am having NO luck finding my DarkSide locally.
Learned the BFG G Force Comp has been discontinued - for years, according to some.
And the Pirelli Cinturato A/S comes in run-flat ONLY, making the cost over $250. I was under the impression I could get a CT for about a hunnerd bucks, but maybe those were the Falkens or Hankooks or Coopers which necessitated some swingarm material removal.
These are the only two tires / tyres I've found in the DS threads which REQUIRE NO GRINDING of the swingarm... a prerequisite for this noob darksider / darkslider.
Any other proven grind-free car tires / tyres y'all can recommend?
My wallet thanks you.
And I did specify to the tire / tyre discounters that I would not require installation, so there was no install fee included in my quoted price.
Knowing me, I shoulda known this wouldn't be a simple plug-n-play deal.

Top Bottom