Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

STOC #
Re: 1300 Screen Mod

I quickly made a pair to try out. What a difference. I was able to ride with the windscreen below eye level and almost eliminate wind noise. The loudest noise was tire noise. I was able to listen to my Zumo with my Edsets without maxing out the volume.

I made a second pair using 1/8" x 2" aluminum bar. I used 1/4' bolts with nylock nuts. Should have used a little smaller bolt but I had a 1/4" tap. I drilled and tapped the bolts and used red Locktite to keep them in place. I used a textured paint in an attempt to match the texture of the black plastic under the windscreen. I got some pooling of paint at the bottom on one side, when I flipped them over and painted the other side, I used some bolts as spacers so I didn't get pooling. Still not dry enough to put on the bike yet, but here is a photo of the texture.

therider

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live

Excellent mod. I was thinking that you could make a bracket such that the bottom part would be farther away from the bike than the top part. Somebody else did that, forgot who. Glad it works out for ya.

STOC #

Excellent mod. I was thinking that you could make a bracket such that the bottom part would be farther away from the bike than the top part. Somebody else did that, forgot who. Glad it works out for ya.
That would be me. I've been using mine for a couple years now and it's not coming off..... ever.... it's that good.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

That would be me. I've been using mine for a couple years now and it's not coming off..... ever.... it's that good.
Brian,

I'm off later today to buy alum for this project. Is 1/8" x 2" still good for your style and so as not to reinvent the wheel...do you have the template for your version or rough dimensions?

Thank you Sir!!!:poPoST1:

STOC #

Brian,

I'm off later today to buy alum for this project. Is 1/8" x 2" still good for your style and so as not to reinvent the wheel...do you have the template for your version or rough dimensions?

Thank you Sir!!!:poPoST1:
I didn't make a template, but the way I did it was to space the lower holes about 1/4-3/8 of an inch farther apart than the top holes. Then I also lowered the windsheilds mounting holes by about 3/4 of an inch so that moving the windsheild directly away from the dash wouldn't increase the height of the sheild.... if that makes any sense.

And yes... 1/8 inch aluminum should be just fine.

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #

Picked up a 3 foot piece of 1/8" X 2" aluminum at Home Depot yesterday for $10. Lowrider if you will please make a pattern or the measurements when you make yours; it will be appreciated.
Sonny

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

FL,

I am using a template that I printed off another thread. I'm not sure which one, but I beleive it is under the Windshield sub group. I will post what I end up with then finished and will give an effectiveness report.

How's Daytona? I watched part of the race last night and was amazed how the track has changed over the years. I'm from Winter Park and spent a lot of my mispent youth in DB and SB area down to Orange Inlet. I kinda miss it but there are too many people there now!!:D

Joe

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

1st report:

Full down position....air hits me square in the nose...NOT good!

Full up position...it is a wonderful change in air flow!! It appears that the air is now flowing over my head by 3 - 4 inches and continues to flow straight back. Young wife was not available for test ride, but the full down position really sucked...so back to the design board!

Second design tilts the windshield forward at the top about 2" in the down position. Test ride is scheduled for any time now...when SHE gets her hair done.

Report follows....

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #

Joe, Daytona is fine; lived here all my life and grew up along with the town. Always pluses and minuses. Spent a lot of time at the track for many years, even remember seeing races on the beach.

Hope this bracket deal helps; my wife rides with me most of the time and I'm always looking for something to try to make it better for her.
Sonny

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

I did another trip with the modified bracket allowing the top of the windshield to move forward about 1.5" from the stock location. It was again wonderful in the full up position. My wife said there was a lot less wind and buffeting on the back and she thought it to be a significant improvment.

In the full down position, I still get hit with a lot of air flowing over the top of the windshield. If I raise the windshield to the point where the air flow is over my head....the top of the windshield is right in the middle of my normal road vision which is not acceptable. Tomorrow, I will try another angle and see if there is an improvement in the down position. For those who keep the windshield up all the way there is a big improvement over the stock config.

I'm hoping there is a sweet spot where both up and down are improved....will advise.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

New test ride results. I moved the hole as far as possible to allow the windshiled to move forward about another inch or about 2.5" forward of the stock location (as measured from the centerline of the rear rack to the top of the windshield in the full down position). I have a Laminar Flo lip and I tried the windshield with and without the lip.

Bottom line: full down is not improved while the full up position remains a big improvement over the stock location. Results with the Lip removed in the full down position is worse than with it installed.

This is the most adjustment that can practically be made using 2" alum stock for the mod. My conclusion is that the mod does a great job of moving air up and over the head in the up ( mostly or fully) position and it does not improve the fully down air flow for someone of my height (5'-9") and probably makes it worse for me. Tilting the windshield forward at the top makes it higher in the down position and comes close to imparing vision in the down position.

Since I prefer keeping the windshield down when I ride, this mod has not shown me any benefit. I am next going to drop the position of the windshield so that it will be forward and lower in the down positon and see if that will move the air flow and allow me to look over the top of the shield. My wife was very happy with the up position results, so it looks like I wll need to reatain that effect for her.

I am getting to know the bolts and nuts on the windshield very well. Anyone else have any ideas???:confused:

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #

Joe, I might of missed it but are you using the STD factory shield? I have several different shields (Aeroflow, Clearview, Rifle, STD and Cee-Bailey) that I'm going to try if I have time. Too much to do and so little time.
Sonny

This screen mod is not intended to reduce air flow in full down position. It will actually increase airflow in the full down position. The purpose of this mode is to reduce dirty air and/or buffeting particularly when in dirty air from tractor trailers. Clean air on the helmet is a good thing especially in the heat. What this mod does is allow more air under the screen so there is less of a low pressure area behind the screen which is the main cause of buffeting and back pressure.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Sonny,

Yes sir, it is a stock windshield. I have thought about a number of others, but have read where folks have tried them and went back to the stock shield with this mod.

Bunson,

I understand the more air flow to reduce the backpressure and it certainly works in the up position. Maybe I am looking for too much from the mod to expect it to work well in all positions.

I love air in the face, but at 50+mph the air is a "blast" that is not any fun. It was much better with the stock shield position...at least for me.

I also hit the edge of thunderstorm yesterday and got pretty wet from the extra air flowing under the shield in the full up position. Yesterday it was 90 degrees and the rain felt good, but at 70 degrees it would have been COLD and unwelcome.

I'm not done playing yet, but maybe another shield would work better. Sonny, let us know how yours work out for you.

Thanks folks!!

Joe

STOC #

Since I prefer keeping the windshield down when I ride, this mod has not shown me any benefit. I am next going to drop the position of the windshield so that it will be forward and lower in the down positon and see if that will move the air flow and allow me to look over the top of the shield. My wife was very happy with the up position results, so it looks like I wll need to reatain that effect for her.

I am getting to know the bolts and nuts on the windshield very well. Anyone else have any ideas???:confused:[/QUOTE]

Lowrider;
At 6', my impressions are a little different. I noticed dramatically smoother air flow in the lowest position, with the bottom of the windshield pushed a bit forward at the bottom (from parallel to the old position). IMO, setting up a more pronounced "laminar" flow behind the windshield will smooth things out more. So, a bigger scoop at the lower edge of the windshield should help. Try tilting your shield back at the top and forward at the bottom. This should smooth the air flow with the ws down and I don't think this adjustment will adversely affect the pillion comfort.

Good luck

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Thanks Mike!

That approach may well be the answer. I was pushing out the top while all along I should have been moving out the bottom a bit more and leaving the top of the shield where it was. Off to the shop...wish I hadn't turned off the A/C.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Top Bottom