Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

STOC #
Re: 1300 Screen Mod

Thanks Mike!

That approach may well be the answer. I was pushing out the top while all along I should have been moving out the bottom a bit more and leaving the top of the shield where it was. Off to the shop...wish I hadn't turned off the A/C.
Yea, a bit of trial and error. But, it'll be sweet when you get it dialed in.

Hoping the SO likes it too.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

I think I am almost there.

I used the full down position as a "must have" good air flow requirement and disregarded the full up. I made a new piece this AM with what amounts to an elipitical notch in the alum allowing me to adjust the shield thru a range of about (I didn't measure it) 3" and I put thumb nuts on the bolts so I could run down the road and see the effect and easily...well....not easily since it is hard to get my fingers in there, adjust the angle of the shield without drilling more holes.

What I found worked best is lowering the shielf 1.5" and tipping it out away from the rider (forward) about 2". I have very little back pressure, no blast in the face and only minor buffeting at speeds exceeding the legal limit of 55 mph. It's only in the interest of science and discovery that I exceeded the posted limit you understand!

The full up position works wonderfully!!

Only problem is that when I put my legs up on the highway pegs, they direct a blast of air upward which ruins the tranquil setting. Ain't life a bitch!!

I'm not ready to publish the results, but did want to provide a progress report. Design and development costs are soaring...with 1 off prototype expenses approaching the high 5 figures...think IRS will buy it?

More to follow.:)

STOC #

I'm not ready to publish the results, but did want to provide a progress report. Design and development costs are soaring...with 1 off prototype expenses approaching the high 5 figures...think IRS will buy it?

No. But, give it a try anyway.

STOC #

I have not seen Eric (Earache) post here in a while.... I hope he's alright... so I have to assume that he is not making them anymore. He was never really making them as a method of income, just as favors for a few friends. I have my own working set so I'm not needing anyone to produse them, but I think someone should show this thread to Motorcyclelarry and see if maybe he wants to make and sell some sets. They are simple to make and my guess is that he would sell a few. If I needed another job I'd be there for you guys, but unfortunately my time is pretty well spent with the campground.

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

I think I'm on my 7th set and frustration has set in big time.

Everytime I get to point where I think I have the answer, I change something and it upsets the airflow again....something improves and something else turns to &%(). I think I may be at the point where there is no further improvement with the spacer/angle change thingy and mirror and fairing changes are next....or maybe a Goldwing shield or someone else aftermarket shield. Jury is still out.......but.......I'll bet I loose my bail money!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I have not seen Eric (Earache) post here in a while.... I hope he's alright... so I have to assume that he is not making them anymore. He was never really making them as a method of income, just as favors for a few friends. I have my own working set so I'm not needing anyone to produse them, but I think someone should show this thread to Motorcyclelarry and see if maybe he wants to make and sell some sets. They are simple to make and my guess is that he would sell a few. If I needed another job I'd be there for you guys, but unfortunately my time is pretty well spent with the campground.
Eric hasn't logged into the site since December of last year, just an fyi.

These look easy enough to make from Home Depot metal and some spray paint.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Bill,

Look nice!

Those are pretty much what I have except the bottom holes in mine are closer together by 1/4" to get the top of the windshield to lean out a bit when in the fully down position. That is the most successful set I've made yet...at least for me.

I just did 700+ miles to PA STOC and back and the air flow is over my head just fine, but I am still getting beat up by the air on both sides. If I sit straight and lean forward just a bit everything is fine,but if I use one highway peg the air blows up my leg or if I lean the least little bit to one side or the other (as in my butt hurts and I want to change cheeks) I get blasted again.

Due to the heat on my trip back home, I was pouring water on my shirt to keep cool and I noticed the backpressure at 70 mph or so sucked the water all the way to the dash area, so there probably is not enough air flowing under the shield. I'm thinking a wider shield would help.

The search continues!!

STOC #

My trip to work is short and I don't go much over 60MPH and they seem to work well. However, when I go much above 60mph I start getting the beating on the sides also. When I used my larger windscreen (Cebailey), the problem doesn't occur until I'm over 75 or so, but the windscreen is above eye level. In Florida over in the summer, I can use all the wind I can get. I usuall adjust my stock screen until the noise dies out at speed. This is typically at chin level for me.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Bill,

How wide is your Cee Bailey? That is what I'm thinking might be the answer to my problem.

I know FL temps...I'm from Winter Park...left in 1967 and never came back because of the heat and humidity!! They had my 40th HS reunion last year in August of all months....I didn't make it!!:D

Joe

STOC #

Joe,

It's not much wider but about 4" taller. I think it comes back closer to my head which would be like moving forward with the stock windscreen. Here is a link which might be of interest to you http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

There is a windscreen with an abrupt V shaped cut out area part way down the windscreen I saw something about a while ago. I think this was suppose to reduce turbulance around the side of the helmet.

I need to put the Cbailey windscreen on again and test out screen positions and noise again.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Bill,

Good info at Calsci. Thanks!

The V Stream seems like an interesting concept. I wonder if it really carries the turbulance back beyond the back seater? Report from anyone who has tried it would be helpful!!

Joe

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Sounds pretty good Bill.

I think I'm leaning toward the CalSci due to it's width. You very well may not need that for the weather where you ride. I went for a quick ride early this morning and was reminded that Fall is not too far away up here....6 weeks or so.

I think I'm going to play with the stock shield a bit more and if I can't get it to do what I want, I'm heading for the "fat boy" CalSci shield...in time for the cool weather.

If you get the VStream,please let us know what you think!

Thanks,

Joe

Bike
'07 ST1300

spacers seem to help

I've used 1/2 in spacers

seemed to calm down turbulence and improve stability to me

but I still had to run the shield up for the wife at higher speeds - 60mph + and look through the shield

I'm thinking a wider shield with vents would be the ticket for long rides with pillion

like the CalSci??

Based on this thread I modified my windshield position also and found it to be much better - quieter, almost not buffetting on the top of my helmet (I'm 6' 1" and have Heli lift) and much less pressure on my back. Just completed a 13 hour run yesterday and it was great. The pictures show my prototype, and now I will make something more permanent ones. I made it out of 1/8 plastic sheet and moved the bottom out 3/4" and the top 1/4". There are no extra pressure points on the windshield and the cover fits back on. I did note that the rain did not blow off the shield as well as before, but I will put some rainX on to fix that.

Attachments

Based on this thread I modified my windshield position also and found it to be much better - quieter, almost not buffetting on the top of my helmet (I'm 6' 1" and have Heli lift) and much less pressure on my back. Just completed a 13 hour run yesterday and it was great. The pictures show my prototype, and now I will make something more permanent ones. I made it out of 1/8 plastic sheet and moved the bottom out 3/4" and the top 1/4". There are no extra pressure points on the windshield and the cover fits back on. I did note that the rain did not blow off the shield as well as before, but I will put some rainX on to fix that.

NOOOO!!! not rain-X I have heard it hurts the plastic. I was told to use pledge instead.

Top Bottom