1250fa chain!

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
I was using Dupont chain wax and degreaser, But i think it was seeping thru the O-rings and running off my natural lube. At the moment using some Wallyworld wax based chain lube while i shop for a cost effective replacement, I live on a dirt road and do 400 miles a week for work alone, not counting weekend adventures.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I have used kerosene for years to de-grease the chain first, which is fine on it and the o rings.
While it is the least expensive option it's not the easiest and quickest which is why I prefer the maxima cleaner :)

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I quit using chain waxes, of any brand. IMO, they hold dirt and grit on the chain and promote premature wearing of both chain and sprockets. They also collect into a nasty greasy chunky mess inside the primary chain cover. I've had the best luck with Amsoil sprayon chain oil. If I can't find that, I use Dupont chain oil with Teflon.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
I have used kerosene for years to de-grease the chain first, which is fine on it and the o rings.
While it is the least expensive option it's not the easiest and quickest which is why I prefer the maxima cleaner :)
You are technically right, which is the best kind of right! [Just ask a lawyer :p ]
While Kerosene is safe on O and X rings, It does seep past the rubbery rings and gets rid of your precious oil / lube and such! This information was given to me from a Fortnine video on which chain lube is the best.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
I quit using chain waxes, of any brand. IMO, they hold dirt and grit on the chain and promote premature wearing of both chain and sprockets. They also collect into a nasty greasy chunky mess inside the primary chain cover. I've had the best luck with Amsoil sprayon chain oil. If I can't find that, I use Dupont chain oil with Teflon.
This stuff? If so its still wax based but just with Teflon. My last bike was a shaft drive so i am still new to chains :p But this is what i was using on my last chain, the one i just replaced.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If you do a lot of dirt road riding you'll want to clean, check and lube the chain frequently regardless of what product you use. On my old Honda Nighthawk I used 80w gear oil as per the manual. It smelled bad and flung worse - but it worked.

OP
OP
czarwolf
Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
If you do a lot of dirt road riding you'll want to clean, check and lube the chain frequently regardless of what product you use. On my old Honda Nighthawk I used 80w gear oil as per the manual. It smelled bad and flung worse - but it worked.
I do about 3 miles of dirt road riding every day, I live at the end of a dirt road, beyond that its 1 mile of paved road and 58 miles of highway every day.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Im still looking for the chain on my ST1300...
The self adjusting drive chain is enclosed in the final drive tube and submersed in a combination cooling / lubricating fluid. It helps keep any contaminants from getting on it. You just need to change the fluid on a regular basis.

Here's what's inside the rounded tube..... The cush drive attaches to the left side bearing on the arm.

The rounded outer tube holds the cooling/lubrcating fluid and make everything look pretty.

1577103585675.png

:nuts:

Bike
2007 ST1300
The self adjusting drive chain is enclosed in the final drive tube and submersed in a combination cooling / lubricating fluid. It helps keep any contaminants from getting on it. You just need to change the fluid on a regular basis.

Here's what's inside the rounded tube..... The cush drive attaches to the left side bearing on the arm.

The rounded outer tube holds the cooling/lubrcating fluid and make everything look pretty.

1577103585675.png

:nuts:
Oh OK NOW it all makes sense to me.....

Top Bottom