2 newbie questions, one potentially hot button

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I’m going cross country this summer, second time. I’m considering spending some nights camping roadside or off grid.

1. is this feasible?
2. what’s the minimum gear to pull this off?

potential hot button - what is the collective wisdom about personal protection in these conditions?

I wouldn’t consider it a hot button, if you’re camping in the boonies you need one.
You can camp in any National forest or BLM land you come across.
I have a fellow LD rider that camps in the ditches, and rides 60k some years.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Good questions.... Bed, pad, rain protection. Check into motel if really bad weather or to clean up every few days.
Back in the day I had luck at college or corporate campuses. Find a security officer and tell them what you are doing and looking for, most were quite helpful and some of my best spots were hidden away areas that were better than any camp ground. Up and out early, leave no trace. Plus I wasn't out in the wide open, roadside, by myself. Security knew I was there and I wasn't really in the wild.
And yes, you need one...! These days. :well1:
T

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Do a search for guerilla camping aimed at moto or bicycle touring for some good ideas. I haven't done it, but I recall asking a cop in town where you could pitch a tent as one tactic, and asking at churches another. There are some bicycle routes that are common and people will allow you to pitch a tent on their property when you're riding through. No idea if moto travelers ever get treated that way.
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger..

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
my camping experiences are a bit dated, so I'm curious how things have changed over the years. Back in the day, even in the most crowded of actual campsites, with one person and a bike all you have to do is ask where you can crash for the night without being in someone's way and they'll find you some space. Typical response might be something like "park your bike over in the grass next to the shitter and throw your tent down wherever".

Also, in the west there's a lot of open territory where nobody knows if you're there or not.

edit: I remembered another technique that never failed and have used several times, but probably worked better when I was younger. We'd have a group of 6-8 guys riding around, and we'd find a local bar for the night and start talking to the bartender. "Hey, if we're still here at closing time can we camp in your parking lot?" Never got turned down on that one, and you can't beat the price and convenience.

regarding minimum gear, the lighter the better, less to pitch, less to pack up in the AM. If it doesn't look like rain, don't bother with the tent. Pad, bag, and flashlight is all you need.

personal protection: I often carry just for fun while riding, not so much for self-defense, but its there if I need it. Never expect that to happen, but you never know.

good advice: do NOT attempt to camp off grid in Humboldt county California, the pot growers may decide to use you for fertilizer if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Hmm, tough question. Decades ago I spent many months travelling the U.S. with my girlfriend of the time. Had no money so stayed to the cheapest State, County, etc. "primitive" campsites. Hit a KOA, etc. every 4 -5 days to get a real shower, do laundry, etc. Often would just fine a fire road, etc. in the late afternoon, get as far into and hidden as possible, and crash. Up early, leave no trace. Had two really scary nights with people moving around us in the dark, but no trouble.

About a decade later I spent long weekends, vacation knocking around SW Texas, New Mexico, Arizona with my now wife. Usually off the beaten path a bit, never had a problem then, but had protection with me all those times. Rules be damned, where I was, no help was coming and it'd be awhile before they found you.

Nowadays I still do when I'm in a remote place, alone or with family, it just seems prudent. Just understand that if it becomes an issue, there are many places where that is very unwelcome and the authorities will not be pleased. Though the more rural and remote, the more accepted it is. Pay your money, take your chances.

The gear you want for this is all over the hiking sites. Whatever the tent, bag and pad, etc. is all the rage will do fine.

If you keep to the cheap primitive sites, likely your best option. It's an established place and you are supposed to be there.

RT

Reactions: jrp

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I've not done it but saw this method for creating a temporary shelter written up here. It has the virtues of simplicity, adaptability, and flexibility.

The "Hobo Hotel"

Carry an 8 x 10 tarp along with your bedroll.
After hours, find an out-of-the-way corner of a relatively secluded parking lot.
Lay tarp out and fold in half to make an 8 x 5 rectangle.
Park bike with wheels on the open side of the tarp to act as an anchor., kickstand on the pavement.
Fold one end down and under, and weight with helmet, dry bag, dismounted top case, etc.
Insert bedroll into the open end of the folded-over space.

Voila- you've just created a snug cocoon that's mildly weather-proof (I wouldn't use this technique in a deluge). The weight of the bike is enough to keep the folded-over tarp from opening back up even if you move around some or get a mild breeze. You are right next to the bike but relatively inconspicuous especially if you use a brown or camo tarp and not a bright blue one.

Keep a low profile and the odds are good you'll be undisturbed- possibly even undiscovered.

Arrive late-ish and move along early.

This is a way to grab a few hours of needed shuteye, not a full-blown camping experience although of course a minimal amount of gear such as backpacking stove, coffee pot, simple canned food, and a few utensils can keep you fed and keep the caffeine demon at bay without a great deal of undue fuss or waste generation. Pack up and leave nothing behind and there's no evidence you were ever there.

I remember when "personal protection" was code-speak for condoms but I'm guessing that's not what you mean here. I will not presume to advise on whether you should, should not, need, or do not need to go armed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STeveMcD
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Personal protection is a wide term. I normally don’t even think about this at all. The concept of being alone in nowhere might change that. A firearm is only one option, and potentially the most “complicated” one traveling across states.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I save my saddle bags for clothes and shave kit, and tail trunk for small items needed when I stop (face shield cleaner, water bottle, etc.) and a place to keep my helmet. I strap a 60 liter water proof bag across the back seat. In it are:

Lightweight sleeping bag,
Gonex tent https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7QGC1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and tarp
REI air mattress https://www.rei.com/product/895084/rei-co-op-stratus-insulated-air-sleeping-pad, and mini air pump
Inflatable pillow NEMO Fillo Elite Pillow | REI Co-op
REI chair https://www.rei.com/product/164383/rei-co-op-flexlite-camp-boss-chair
Stove and stand https://www.rei.com/product/114890/msr-pocketrocket-2-stove w/fuel
A small pot and frying pan, camp hammer, pa ck of wet wipes, first aid kit, flash light, head lamp, utensils, camp plate and mug, emergency duct tape, bungee, knife and assorted small items. And a Halo Bolt battery pack Amazon.com: HALO Bolt 58830 mWh Portable Phone Laptop Charger Car Jump Starter with AC Outlet and Car Charger - Blue Graphite

Last edited:

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
OK then, Is it really that scary in the USA? It's one major country I have never travelled too.

I've travelled extensively around Europe, been skiing in Canada and had a couple of Saharan trips. Free camped where allowed but generally on formal commercial sites. Nowadays I prefer a real bed and walls around me unless it's a sidecar rally where everyone camps. But never, ever, have I felt the need to carry a weapon of any sort during my travels.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - same here. When I was a boy with a bike and a pup tent, I used to just pull over behind a tree and enjoy the stars - all over Canada and the US. I had nothing more than a fish-filleting knife and a billy club with me (mostly used for whittling and pounding in tent pegs).

These days....I am not naive - but who wants to duke it out with some creeps in the middle of the night in nowheresville...?

Hotels for me these days....

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Someone posted a few years ago on this site how they do it. It seemed a safe option so I will pass it along.

Every night when he pulled in to a small town he would look for the fire station. He would ask the firemen where he could camp. More often then not they were interested in his bike and his travels and would tell him that he could pitch his tent behind the firehouse. Often they would offer him the use of their bathroom. If there was no fire station, he would ride around and look for a local police officer and ask them where he could camp. As often as not they would take him to a municipal park/fairground and tell him where he could set up. They often told him that because they know that he is there, they will pass by several times during the night to make sure that he was safe. Either way he ended up in a location where he could sleep feeling safe.

Doubtful that this would work as successfully in larger areas but, in small towns they would probably be likely to be more accommodating.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Whooshka, pretty much echos what I would be taking. I however use a hammock, but that's me.
Red bag is an over quilt (like a sleeping bag)
Green bag is my Hammock this is an Exped Scout Combo complete with hanging straps, bug net, and fly
small green bag is a Klymet sleeping pad
Sportneer folding chair... this has adjustable legs. I also made a fabric pad that attaches to the feet to prevent the feet sinking into soft ground
Trekology folding table
small blue bag is a gear hammock I sling under my hammock to hold my helmet, boots jacket
Black bag is mess kit with butane fuel and stove I store that in my tank bag for easy access to prepare picnic lunch
missing is a collapsible cooler
Personal protection, I live in Canada not required

aDtW3F1bTqm+5hul2vpcWA_thumb_28f1.jpg

Check reciprocity laws if you have a cccard. Remember federal transport law...lock gun in one saddlebag, ammo locked in other saddlebag. When i decide to carry i keep ppwk as well....ive never really felt the need to carry, but if im doing a lot of camping i usually will....mostly just afraid of bigfoot. Lots of places ive slept...small town parks, vol fire depts, rest areas, sidewalks, parking lots, picnic tables, campgrounds. I dont like alot of setup time so if its raining prob gonna hit the hotel. If its just for sleep, no tent. Coffee in the morn n go. Camping for a few days...campground, tent....amenities, some have showers...etc

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Grew up in the Caribbean. When I was maybe 8yrs old someone tried to break into our house, and they were quite determined. My father shooting at them persuaded them that that wasn't a good idea. 20+yrs ago in rural Texas, 3 gentlemen tried to break into my home, my truck was in the shop so I think they thought only my wife was there. After them trying to smash the sliding glass door repeatedly with our porch chairs (it didn't break), and trying to kick down the kitchen door (dead bolt held for 60 seconds or so). The only thing that changed their attitude and made them extremely polite was a large caliber revolver pointed at their chests. I came within a whisker of shooting a person that day. If I never have to be in that position again it will be too soon. Those two experiences likely gave me a jaded view of the world. I wish I could just walk around and believe that nothing bad will happen, but I can't, because I know better. This stuff happens in every country, despite how "safe" you claim it to be, the crime statistics say otherwise. Yes, the chance is probably very low that you will have a problem. But that is irrelevant when it happens and you are in the middle of it. I'm not afraid of the world, just hyper vigilant. Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

RT

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
One of our members here used to call it stealth camping. He would just find an isolated spot and set up there. I prefer hot showers and soft beds so I don't do much camping. I do carry personal protection with me. I see it the same as my helmet and riding gear. I've never needed my helmet yet but when I do I sure will be glad that I have it on. Same with my personal protection, haven't needed it yet but if I ever do, I'll be glad that I have it on me. Locked in a saddle bag with ammo in the other bag won't do you much good if the time ever comes that you do need it. "Excuse me sir, before you rob and beat me, I'd like to open my luggage and get something out"!
My son has been a Police Officer for 13 years. He is now on a Human Trafficking and Gang Unit. I never carried until the day he told me that the average person has no idea how much evil is out roaming our streets.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Locked in a saddle bag with ammo in the other bag won't do you much good if the time ever comes that you do need it. "Excuse me sir, before you rob and beat me, I'd like to open my luggage and get something out"!
perhaps you misunderstood why that was mentioned, that's the legal way to carry a gun while riding, not after you're done riding for the day.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I however use a hammock
Another hammock camping biker! :yr1:

Depending where I am, I carry a bug net, have a hex tarp I can throw over the top, and have before now, slung the hammock between the bike and a sign post at the side of the road.

Re the hot button, no matter where you are in the world, so long as you're off the beaten track enough, and as someone else said - arrive late & leave early, I've never had a problem. I've also been in places that had a contingent of 8 armed guards just for little old me. /shrug

Top Bottom