2 newbie questions, one potentially hot button

There has been a lot of talk here about carrying a firearm. If you feel the need, a small cannister of pepper spray might be a more legal alternative, and if its one of those keychain types (about the size of a tube of lipstick or a lighter), nobody will ever know about it unless you tell them. BTW, I read that bear spray is nowhere near as potent as pepper spray. Bears' sense of smell is much better than ours, so it does not take much to make them stop in their tracks. The stuff does not work on people as well as animals.
Pepper spray doesn't do much good if the wind is blowing towards you when you use it. It can get in your eyes and make your situation even worse. That said, I carry it sometimes but you have to think about things like the wind before you just bust loose with it.

There has been a lot of talk here about carrying a firearm. If you feel the need, a small cannister of pepper spray might be a more legal alternative, and if its one of those keychain types (about the size of a tube of lipstick or a lighter), nobody will ever know about it unless you tell them. BTW, I read that bear spray is nowhere near as potent as pepper spray. Bears' sense of smell is much better than ours, so it does not take much to make them stop in their tracks. The stuff does not work on people as well as animals.

Yes, absolutely a great option. Wife used to walk the beach at night, with a 38 snubbie. Now we have a dog, so it's dog and pepper spray. Nonlethals still require you know how to use them, and their limitations. I was hit with pepper spray accidentally, by a friend who was a cop, actually he sprayed both of us at the same time. Hysterically funny after the fact, but it's really pretty awful stuff.

RT

Pepper spray doesn't do much good if the wind is blowing towards you when you use it. It can get in your eyes and make your situation even worse. That said, I carry it sometimes but you have to think about things like the wind before you just bust loose with it.

OK, you posted while I was typing. So 30yrs ago I was working the door at a fairly rough place. The cops were there every night, and I had a buddy on the force. So one night he's showing me this really cool new stuff they were just issued, yep, pepper spray "karate in a can". So he says "c'mon outside I'll show you how it works". It was a really windy night, and there I am standing next to him as he sprays that crap directly into the wind. Next thing I know we are both on the ground writhing, clawing at our eyes and snot/mucous pouring out of us. Totally incapacitated. His partner comes around the corner and starts laughing so hard he almost throws up. Finally someone brought us bottles of water to pour on our faces. Didn't help all that much, it just sucked. He was a new cop, like one year in, and after that they nicknamed him "chili" as his last name was Gonzalez, it stuck with him....

RT

Court Gentry?

Had to Google that, never heard of that book series. No, grey man more a reference to a guy goes by the name of Greywolf, keeps a blog that is interesting with regard to keeping a low profile, EDC, survival, etc. He's a Harley guy (not judging) that's done some, ah, foreign govt work, if you will. Between him and a local instructor with a similar background, I've filtered what I think I can use and tried to apply it.

RT

This is a very personal decision, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm armed to the teeth 24/7/365. I have carried, and do carry when I feel it's warranted. Even in places where I'm not allowed. I'll accept that risk. I've had enough hand to hand combat training to know I wasn't particularly good at it, and I'm too old now. If the other guy has a weapon out, it's already too late. Having your own protection at that point only gives you an option, should an opportunity arise. Anyone with an edged weapon is far more dangerous than a firearm. The rule is 21ft. If they are closer than 21ft, they will cover that ground and do you harm before you get a firearm from concealment. I'd much rather face a firearm than a blade. People are terrible shots, but if they get close enough with a blade you will get hurt, and badly. The best advice is to not be there at all. Pay attention to your surroundings, be suspicious of people noticing you. Seeing the same car or person more than once could mean they have taken an interest in you. Be the "grey man" as much as possible. If you get in a confrontation, be polite and leave. Facing a weapon, throw the wallet and keys and run. Nothing material is worth your life. Whatever protection you choose, it's a last resort. For me it's if my family is threatened, or I have nowhere to run. Come into my house, cabin, room, shake me out of my tent or sleeping bag, and I'm now out of options to leave. Protection at this point is simply another option to be used, or not. And for God's sake, if you are going to have protection TRAIN with it, regularly, until you are proficient, and it's muscle memory, or don't bother at all.

RT

from one of the best shows on tv

EDIT: I should add that this is not to start a debate or question the validity of the "21 foot rule", just pointing out an amusing fictional tv mishap and to add a plug for my favorite tv show

Last edited:
Anyone with an edged weapon is far more dangerous
I've trained, to a fairly high level in martial arts that include the use of blades, nunchucks, and things like the bo staff. Never seen a reason to use any of them in anger, and never carried any of them on the bike (I'm more likely to come off the bike and impale myself on a katana than get all "kill bill" on someone). Taught my son bits of it, and then laughed at the school headteacher when I got called in to talk about why my son had thrown a chair at another kid (it was self defence, and he's not been bullied since).

Be the "grey man" as much as possible
This, being my life's work. I may be troll-like online, but I take great pleasure in just vanishing into the background in real life. It's also definitely saved my life a time or 3.

Over here, we're limited for legal self defence means, weapons still exist though. It's just easier and less stressful not to attract those situations.

I love Justified. Our former Sheriff was United States Marshall for the Eastern District of Kentucky when the show was being filmed. Hollywood called more than once.

I always take this guy with me. At a Waffle House near Murfreesboro tn. Asked Permission to take a photo! Talked U.S verses Canada permits etc.He said if there was trouble he had us covered.It was loaded with .better stop here.
When wife & I finished eating &I asked for check,waitress said HE HAS YOU COVERED.He honked horn & waved as he drove away.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 56
I always take this guy with me. At a Waffle House near Murfreesboro tn. Asked Permission to take a photo! Talked U.S verses Canada permits etc.He said if there was trouble he had us covered.It was loaded with .better stop here.
When wife & I finished eating &I asked for check,waitress said HE HAS YOU COVERED.He honked horn & waved as he drove away.

Urinating into the wind isn't a good idea either. Situational awareness is all.....

I’m going cross country this summer, second time. I’m considering spending some nights camping roadside or off grid.

1. is this feasible?
2. what’s the minimum gear to pull this off?

potential hot button - what is the collective wisdom about personal protection in these conditions?
About the personal protection, I have a concealed weapon permit of Fla. If you have one of your state, you can check on the internet what states honor yours.
It is better to be safe than sorry.

REI bundle

using this as a starting point, pros & cons...?
I think someone else may have mentioned it before, going with something like a 20F down bag will pack much smaller than an equivalent warmth synthetic bag, but will cost more. Also look into compression stuff sacks, they help too.

Back
Top Bottom