2 newbie questions, one potentially hot button

perhaps you misunderstood why that was mentioned, that's the legal way to carry a gun while riding, not after you're done riding for the day.
I understand. And, if you are broken down with a flat tire or something in a bad area in a not so friendly state you are an easy target with your stuff locked up. Everyone must make their own decisions on the best way to insure their personal protection no matter where they might be. Some folks even plan their trips and vacations to stay away from such states that don't allow law abiding citizens to protect themselves.

With respect I don't want to take this thread down a path, only to mention my naiveté. I was at a SToc event a few years back and we were sitting around the picnic tables post dinner when I see two gentlemen looking at a firearm and having a conversation about it. Oh, Okay.... the conversation also involves a demonstration of holstering the firearm into an ankle holster. Hmm I think...how does one access that under duress? Drop and roll and acquire the firearm in one smooth movement? I was informed that this is probably his back-up piece to something he's already carrying or even a back up to the back up. I got educated.
Anyway be safe out there.

Arrive late, leave early. Carry where you can get at it. Hope like hell that you never, ever, ever need it.
Cause it WILL change your life forever, if forced to deploy.
Now, back to camping stuff. Small flashlight with backup batteries..... Handy wipes.... Stash cash....
Good book.....
T

I forgot to mention protection... I've never been adventurous enough to travel camp alone. But 3 of my 5 riding buddies carry. I am into knife throwing, it's something I do for fun. So on my bike there is always a knife, a big survival knife in my camp gear, another in my jacket and 1 or 2 sets of throwing knives. :biggrin:

Oh, Okay.... the conversation also involves a demonstration of holstering the firearm into an ankle holster. Hmm I think...how does one access that under duress? Drop and roll and acquire the firearm in one smooth movement?
I can tell you that drawing from an ankle holster can be problematical, while wearing riding boots.
Actually, even wearing an ankle holster with riding boots is dang near impossible.
Well, I mean, that's what I've "read and heard", anyway.
Yeah, that's what I mean.

I'd like to see pics of your bike packed with all of that, plus clothing, etc. please.

To me, that much stuff means trailering.

My gear is very similar. The biggest item is my tent at 9 inches by 17 inches. Everything else is the size of a loaf of white bread or less. Trailering? That eliminates roaming state to state (or following good weather). Wouldn't want to pull a trailer to a new place every day, not the way we ride.

I’m considering spending some nights camping roadside or off grid.
One thing I found over the years is ,,, almost, and I say almost every smaller town I traveled through out west had a "city" campground that was very cheap, sometimes free. I only had a couple of instances where I was concerned for my security with the locals. But nothing ever became of it. The local campgrounds at these small towns can be quit a ways from the main road and thus are quit secluded which can be to or against your advantage. The only thing I have carried was bearspray for self defense against both predators and or locals LOL...

Personal protection is a wide term. I normally don’t even think about this at all. The concept of being alone in nowhere might change that. A firearm is only one option, and potentially the most “complicated” one traveling across states.
There are plenty of safe places to camp for free. There are National forest camp grounds that range from free to $30. Across the middle of the country there are lots of small town campgrounds free to minimal charge. Many have showers too. Get yourself a 1 or 2 man tent (Backpacking tents pack small and light) and a backpacking sleeping bag that packs small also. With out a tent the bugs could really get ya and if a stray shower comes along it will keep you dry. If your over 62 you can get a Golden Age pass, free entrance to National Parks and 50% off of camping that includes National forests and BLM's. I have been camping most of my trips an never felt a need for firearm protection. Check out freecampsites.net and campendium.com for campgrounds. If you search campgrounds on google maps and zoom in an area they will also list campgrounds, web sites and pictures . Here are pics of some of my favorite campsites 3/5 were free

Attachments

• IMG_0152 (2).JPG
    IMG_0152 (2).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0192 (2).JPG
    IMG_0192 (2).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0065_edited.jpg
    IMG_0065_edited.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 20
Your kidding me right?
Only a little bit. I did plenty of M/C camping when I was younger, mostly on the old SOHC CB750. On one trip, I carried a canvas tent that had a separate bag for the external frame, two sleeping bags, a week's worth of clothing for two, and a passenger.

These days, I really prefer to carry more than I feel like packing in the van with the bike on a trailer. It also saves wear'n'tear for the bike and tires. I feel like interstate droning is a "waste" of a bike's life and mileage, and I hate riding long distances alone.

This is a very personal decision, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm armed to the teeth 24/7/365. I have carried, and do carry when I feel it's warranted. Even in places where I'm not allowed. I'll accept that risk. I've had enough hand to hand combat training to know I wasn't particularly good at it, and I'm too old now. If the other guy has a weapon out, it's already too late. Having your own protection at that point only gives you an option, should an opportunity arise. Anyone with an edged weapon is far more dangerous than a firearm. The rule is 21ft. If they are closer than 21ft, they will cover that ground and do you harm before you get a firearm from concealment. I'd much rather face a firearm than a blade. People are terrible shots, but if they get close enough with a blade you will get hurt, and badly. The best advice is to not be there at all. Pay attention to your surroundings, be suspicious of people noticing you. Seeing the same car or person more than once could mean they have taken an interest in you. Be the "grey man" as much as possible. If you get in a confrontation, be polite and leave. Facing a weapon, throw the wallet and keys and run. Nothing material is worth your life. Whatever protection you choose, it's a last resort. For me it's if my family is threatened, or I have nowhere to run. Come into my house, cabin, room, shake me out of my tent or sleeping bag, and I'm now out of options to leave. Protection at this point is simply another option to be used, or not. And for God's sake, if you are going to have protection TRAIN with it, regularly, until you are proficient, and it's muscle memory, or don't bother at all.

RT

Larry, I used to trailer and bring a boat load of camping stuff, 12 X 18 tent, air mattresses, 2 coolers, grill, you get the idea. Problem was we were limited to 100-150 mile radius for riding and if bad weather was going to settle in for more than a day, we were "stuck". Found out our rolling rally allowed us to see more places, ride more roads and chase sunny skies.

This is a very personal decision, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm armed to the teeth 24/7/365. I have carried, and do carry when I feel it's warranted. Even in places where I'm not allowed. I'll accept that risk. I've had enough hand to hand combat training to know I wasn't particularly good at it, and I'm too old now. If the other guy has a weapon out, it's already too late. Having your own protection at that point only gives you an option, should an opportunity arise. Anyone with an edged weapon is far more dangerous than a firearm. The rule is 21ft. If they are closer than 21ft, they will cover that ground and do you harm before you get a firearm from concealment. I'd much rather face a firearm than a blade. People are terrible shots, but if they get close enough with a blade you will get hurt, and badly. The best advice is to not be there at all. Pay attention to your surroundings, be suspicious of people noticing you. Seeing the same car or person more than once could mean they have taken an interest in you. Be the "grey man" as much as possible. If you get in a confrontation, be polite and leave. Facing a weapon, throw the wallet and keys and run. Nothing material is worth your life. Whatever protection you choose, it's a last resort. For me it's if my family is threatened, or I have nowhere to run. Come into my house, cabin, room, shake me out of my tent or sleeping bag, and I'm now out of options to leave. Protection at this point is simply another option to be used, or not. And for God's sake, if you are going to have protection TRAIN with it, regularly, until you are proficient, and it's muscle memory, or don't bother at all.

RT
Everybody carries a knife too, don't they?

There has been a lot of talk here about carrying a firearm. If you feel the need, a small cannister of pepper spray might be a more legal alternative, and if its one of those keychain types (about the size of a tube of lipstick or a lighter), nobody will ever know about it unless you tell them. BTW, I read that bear spray is nowhere near as potent as pepper spray. Bears' sense of smell is much better than ours, so it does not take much to make them stop in their tracks. The stuff does not work on people as well as animals.

Back
Top Bottom