2001 ST1100 Timing Belt Challenge

Bike
R1200rt
No, because the cam sprocket is keyed to the shaft it slips on.
I know that but when turning the gear in the opposite direction ( to take the guide cover off ) if the belt is loose enough it can slip on the cam sprocket :thumb:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
After reading all of this, if it were my bike, I would correct all the alignment marks back to factory whether the valves needed shimming or not. My fear is that someone (next owner, a shop somewhere, even myself) would "correct" the pulley timing mark not realizing / remembering to realign the cams properly - boom major engine damage. It's a set up for future issues to leave it this way.

OP
OP
GGely

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
No worries, John.

I want to rotate the LH camshaft pulley clockwise (after removing the camshafts) in order to align the mark on the pulley with the case projection. As a result, should I be counting the belt teeth from the RH pulley mark to the case projection? Then remove the belt etc?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
No worries, John.

I want to rotate the LH camshaft pulley clockwise (after removing the camshafts) in order to align the mark on the pulley with the case projection. As a result, should I be counting the belt teeth from the RH pulley mark to the case projection? Then remove the belt etc?
yeah, count the belt teeth between the right and left alignment points (in your case use the two projection pointers on the engine case). The idea is to have a second reference point after putting the new belt on. If the pointers align, and the belt tooth count between them matches, then you know you're good. Mark the belt teeth at those two points with a sharpie, then you can count them later after the belt is off.

Top Bottom