2017 F800GT

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Saw one of these for a decent price and stupidity low mileage. Very attractive at 200lbs or so less than the old ST with a tad less power but thats no big concern on my part. I am wondering about seat height and knee angle for comfort, the bike ergo site seems to suggest the GT is 1” higher at the seat and comparable knee angle. Is this true? I’m about 6’1” with 32” inseam. Any comments about pillion comfort? I did a search on our site but everything seems pre 2014. Would like to hear opinions before I go look and sit on it.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While I have not owned an F800GT, I did own 3 F650's, 2-funduro's, and one strada (street version).
All mine were the early Rotax motors with carbs on them.
I loved them.
Turned one into a flat tracker, one into a commuter, and my yellow one was one of the first bikes on the original chain gang forum.
I found them very comfortable, and had no desire to change even the seats on them.
I did several trips on them along the California coast from San Diego to the Oregon border and beyond.
They never left me stranded, broke down, or failed to get me where I wanted to go.
That said, I don't like any of the new BMW versions with BMW motors etc.
The Rotax motors were a thing of beauty, I found the BMW ones failed in fuel injection mapping, oil leaks, and reliability compared to the earlier versions.
As far as comfort, I think they were more comfortable than both my 1100 and 1300 ST's as far as seating/bars/pegs.
If you do your own service work, you may like one of the new ones, if you rely on dealership networks to maintain your bike, I would look elsewhere.
Just my .02
:WCP1:

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Thanks For the .02 Larry, that helps. Pretty sure the GT has FI but is 2017 still a Rotax engine, do you know? (I usually do all my own service too)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Mine were all service loaners that the dealership would sell very cheaply when the mileage got above a demo level etc.
I believe mine were 1998 model years.
I believe the new BMW copied engine started in the year 2000 or so.
None of the new bikes have the Rotax engine anymore.
Mine were Rotax engine, Aprillia frames.

Bike
VStrom 650
I think the 800 is Rotax/BMW but the 850 is Loncin/China. But I've been wrong before.
I think you'll be right about your power assumptions.
Having sat on one I think you'll find it a little tight, especially two up.
Upt'North.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
The BMW dealer I go to has lent me a F800GS a few times and I thought it was good for short rides but I have a feeling it would be more tiring than your ST if riding for several hours. Never rode a GT but thought it was a good looking bike but had my doubts about long term comfort.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I had the 1st yr fuel-injected F650GS Larry mentions, then an '05 after I totalled the first one.
The 2003 had Rotax engine, and I'm remembering the '05 did as well. I rode the latter model from Bama to New Mexico and ride comfort / frame geometry was never an issue for my 6ft frame with long legs.
The first 800s were belt drive, and I was unsure about that, but there never were any substantial issues with it.
Kept waiting for the 800GS when I was ready for more power, but its release kept getting pushed back so I bought the KTM 950 Adventure S.
THEN BMW released the 800GS.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1 @Daboo can give you an owner's review, I believe he loves his and has a ton of miles.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I had the 1st yr fuel-injected F650GS Larry mentions, then an '05 after I totalled the first one.
The 2003 had Rotax engine, and I'm remembering the '05 did as well. I rode the latter model from Bama to New Mexico and ride comfort / frame geometry was never an issue for my 6ft frame with long legs.
The first 800s were belt drive, and I was unsure about that, but there never were any substantial issues with it.
Kept waiting for the 800GS when I was ready for more power, but its release kept getting pushed back so I bought the KTM 950 Adventure S.
THEN BMW released the 800GS.
1993–2000: F650 and F650St Strada
The BMW version was assembled in Italy by Aprilia and these were powered by the Austrian 652cc single-cylinder, 4 valve Rotax engine.
The REAL rotax motors were only in model years 1993-2000, the engine in the F650GS was BMW's Copy (version) on the rotax engine, but was not a rotax engine.
The BMW F650GS IIRC has BMW casting emblems on the engine cases, the Rotax did not.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I was surprised that a comparison indicated the ST seat height is 1” lower than the last listed 2013 GT model, guess the bottom needs to sit on it to decide, and I should bring SWMBO for a comfort check too.
So if I understand what you guys are saying is after 2010 they are Rotax style engines, basically copies by BMW and are Chinese, Italian or German built? (think original Rotax was Austrian?) whew.
I have read some of Daboo’s posts about his F800 and he sure seems to love it. I’ll contact him and reread his posts.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You are correct.
The 1st year the F650GS came out the mapping was so bad the dealers pulled them from loaner service because the were stalling at intersections etc.
While I loved my funduro’s, I always ride alone, so if your planning on a passenger, your results may be different than my experience.
Those early bikes confused a lot of people just trying to check the oil level.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My bad.
I thought the early- model F650s were Rotax powered even after fuel injection.
So I guess it was just the Funduros. A cult bike, in my mind.
Nothing "pretty" about them, but they certainly had their devotees!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You are correct.
The 1st year the F650GS came out the mapping was so bad the dealers pulled them from loaner service because the were stalling at intersections etc.
My first experience with der Korp and their corporate attitude.
Steadfast denial of any "fuel mapping" issues in year one, when some had extensive surging and stalling problems.
The official statement?
"You're riding the bike wrong."
Seriously?!
Yes.
So for the second-year F650GS production model, the fuel injection was completely remapped, but it was merely "an improvement" to the bike, but not anything to do with any problem in the previous year.
Same thing again around 2005, when BMW revised the final drive on the new 1200s, and called it "maintenance free" for the life of the bike.
Turns out, it was a "translation error" from German to English (learned just the last month from a BMW insider) about draining and filling the gear oil, but once more der Korp consistently denied there was any issue, despite numerous catastrophic failures on the GS and the RT models.
@Shuey and @jodog will attest some Iron Butt Rally participants literally packed a spare FD and carried them across this vast country, in the process of pursuing IB bonuses and and seeking Finisher status.
Other IBR veterans gave up on BMW completely, after a lifetime of fandom, and switched to the GoldWing or other marques.
Ultimately, to the best of my knowledge, an Iron Butt member and former BMW Master Mechanic Paul Glaves dove into the phenomenon and discovered the "big bearing" was improperly adjusted at the factory. Some FD failures were covered under warranty, and others were not, in an apparent random and arbitrary selection process.
All this, while not "widespread" per se, was common enough (or at least not unusual) to raise a commotion in the BMW rider and owner community, more than the initial FI mapping issues with the F650GS.
I read many, many emails on the long distance rider email list about this, while I did not have a shaft drive beemer at the time.
Now, of course, the BMW-branded Garmin Nav VI system is subject to more than a few screen "ghosting" issues, but apparently Garmin has been replacing them under warranty, some users now being on their SIXTH unit. In fairness, this seems to be more of a Garmin issue, but they are so far very decent about sending another unit to the user.
In essence, it's a BMW-branded Garmin Zumo 660 designed to work with their handlebar-mounted "wonder wheel" and more users are beginning to dump the Nav VI and just use a Garmin XT, without the convenience and cool factor of controlling it hands-free from the handlebar.
What a difference in corporate customer service - in my mind - as one will send a replacement unit for failed ones, while the other simply denies any fault exists, and even occasionally blames the user.
Note that, in fairness to BMW, I have not experienced either the 650 FI problem, nor have I ever owned a 1200GS with a final drive failure or a GPS problem. (Yet.)

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
Saw one of these for a decent price and stupidity low mileage. Very attractive at 200lbs or so less than the old ST with a tad less power but thats no big concern on my part. I am wondering about seat height and knee angle for comfort, the bike ergo site seems to suggest the GT is 1” higher at the seat and comparable knee angle. Is this true? I’m about 6’1” with 32” inseam. Any comments about pillion comfort? I did a search on our site but everything seems pre 2014. Would like to hear opinions before I go look and sit on it.
I picked up a 2013 F800GT a few months ago. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam and am very happy with the fit. The bike came with the comfort seat which I believe is a little thicker than stock. Yes, there is more knee angle than the ST, but that's not a comfort problem for me. I bought the bike for the ABS, traction control, and light weight, as I live in deer country and the weight of the ST with no ABS, and my ability to stop quickly was really playing on my mind......I've had some close calls.
I liked that the 800 is pretty much the same as the ST speed wise with 0-60 and quarter mile specs. The power just comes on in a different way. I love the belt drive. Wish it was offered on more bikes. You'll get a good 50 mpg with the 4 gallon tank. You will also feel the engine, which coming from the smooth ST kind of shocked me, but after a week I never even notice. I don't ride with passengers, so can't comment there.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Just stumbled on this thread. As Mellow and some others have mentioned, I do have one and love it. I have 94,000+ miles on the bike now and will turn over 100,000 by mid-summer, easily. It's been trouble-free.

At your height, I'd check out the motorcycle ergonomics web page. You can play with a lot of variables and put two tabs on the screen to compare what you currently have with your ST and what the GT will give you. There are lots of options for ergonomics, and you might even be fortunate enough to find one where someone went through the expense of modifying it for you. For instance, you can raise the handlebars and adjust them forward and back. Mine also has lowered footpegs. And there are five different OEM seats and aftermarket cushions you can add. I have a Madstad windshield...it is phenomenal.

Power is an interesting topic for me. It has less power than an ST...but also considerably less weight. I kept up with some extremely fast riders on Kawasaki C14s, a BMW K1600 and an ST1300 through Oregon and Northern California the summer before the lockdowns. Their bikes were all putting out around 150+ hp at the rear wheel. I had no problem once I decided to through caution to the wind. In fact, after about 10 am, they were easy to "reel in" because they were getting tired flinging all that weight around.

Below 4000 rpms, the bike has plenty of torque to do what you want in traffic. You're not going anywhere, so why make the engine scream like you might? Above 4500 to redline, it is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's a totally different experience. You want a nice relaxing ride...stay in the lower portion of the rpms. You want to keep up with anyone...let the engine sing. It'll put a smile on your face.

The bike gets pooh-poohed by some reviewers. They think it is underpowered. I think they are fooled by one factor on a bike like the FJ-09 standing out, and focusing on that while forgetting the rest of the experience. The F800GT seems tame in comparison. When I took the bike out on my first long day trip, I found myself doing 90 mph in a 55 zone. I wasn't trying to speed at all. The bike just seemed so relaxed. I thought I was only doing about 60 mph. I think it is amazing that BMW was able to make a bike to meet a cost point...and make it so well.

BMW recommends replacing the belt at something like 25K. I'd recommend buying one at 25K and then keeping it on hand till you need it. I replaced the first one at 53K. It obviously can go farther. Also, with the bike being out of production now...parts that you could only buy at a dealer can be found elsewhere. The belt used to be around $525 from a dealer. I found my last belt on Amazon from Continental for about $120. It's not a shaft drive, but when I pull into a motel parking lot, I don't have to worry about lubing a chain.

The GT is the successor to the F800ST. They are not the same bike, though very similar. BMW actually listened to the owners and incorporated their suggestions to the "upgrade" The ST had some electrical issues and rear wheel bearing issues. That all seems to be fixed on the GT. I've replaced the belt twice now, tires, brake pads and fluid, and obviously oil. That's about it. It's been trouble-free...and easy for a non-mechanic like me to maintain. I've checked the valves twice (paid for that :( ) and found they haven't changed. I won't bother again. Taking the panels off, is a breeze. There's nothing hidden to break.

I do about 14-15K a year. Miles, not kilometers. I would have no problem taking the bike cross-country tomorrow morning. The only thing I'd consider first, is if I need an oil change. Otherwise...the bike has been dependable without needing to baby it. I think it is the most reliable model BMW has made.

The only difference between a 2017 model and my 2014 model, is "ride-by-wire". All the same components are there, it is only on how it is controlled. If I could get a 2017 model, I'd go for it. The basic bike is the same, and I'd buy anything from 2013 on.

If you have questions, just ask. If my current F800GT dies for some unforeseen reason...I'll buy another.

Chris

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When I left the Blackbird for my first dualsport, BMW F650GS Dakar, I had to learn to stay in the powerband of the single cylinder. With an inline four and over 100hp, I could take for granted that power was always there.
When in the twisties, though, like mountain roads in North Georgia, it was not hard to keep up with the heavier literbikes. Their extra weight had them slowing for corners, when I could stay off the brakes and sail on through. The Dakar had tons of lean angle, and with good tires on it, was a hoot to corner on.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Well it sure seems like a well loved/enjoyed/dependable bike. Guess my final concern is Mrs. comfort and 2 up power for touring. As Up't said, might be a little lacking in that area.

Top Bottom