2017 F800GT

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
The only thing a BMW mechanic will tell you is you must change the belt when you have 24,000 miles. The criteria doesn't say to inspect it. It says to replace it. No ifs, ands or buts.
So how would you determine that a belt is about to fail? I can understand that the dealership will stick to the manual since if it fails after they inspected and said you are good to go it would be the dealership's butt on the line. We are adults and can take the dealers advice or choose not to but then it is our fault if the decision turned out to be wrong.

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
So how would you determine that a belt is about to fail? I can understand that the dealership will stick to the manual since if it fails after they inspected and said you are good to go it would be the dealership's butt on the line. We are adults and can take the dealers advice or choose not to but then it is our fault if the decision turned out to be wrong.
I would say that cracks in the belt or broken/missing teeth would be a red flag. I do know that Harley recommends drive belt inspection and tension check after the first 1,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that. BMW's service schedule for the belt is simply a recommended replacement every 24,000 miles.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
So how would you determine that a belt is about to fail?
I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but I think you'll get the idea. A belt at rest will not show you any damage. You have to stress the belt. By "stress" I mean that you need to take it out of the relaxed state it is in when you're looking at it. Twist the belt. If there are cracks, they'll show up. Back in the last century when I was growing up, we had a lot of belts under the hood. They looked just fine sitting there. Twist the belt and you could see the cracks easily. It's the same principle.

I use a bright light and because my eyes aren't the best up close, I'll put on some reading glasses. I also use an inspection mirror to look at the other side of the belt.

Belts wear in different places. You need to understand how the belt for your bike wears. On my Suzuki Burgman scooters, it was the sides where the wear occurred. On the F800GT, it is the teeth primarily. Are there cracks showing up where the teeth meet the main surface of the belt. You can see some from the sides of the belt, but you need to use the mirror to look at where the teeth are in the middle too.

I'll take more risk with the belt if I'm only riding in the local area close to home. If it breaks, it is no big deal to get the belt from the garage, or to get the bike towed to home. Some of you will cringe about this, but the last belt had a tear in the edge. I put some super glue on the tear...and rode it like that for about another 15K miles. But I kept an eye on it to see if the tear was getting any larger. Eventually, I had a trip planned to Nevada and decided to swap out the belt before leaving. I still have that belt to use as a spare.

I hope that helps.

Chris

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Mechanics, belts, etc. aside I can tell you that moving from a 750 lb relatively old tech ST1100 to a 500 - 550 lb modern 800 or 900 cc bike is a bit of a revelation in terms of lightness, maneuverability, handling and just enjoying the ride.

There is a downside in terms of no shaft drive, there is less weather protection and, really, nothing compares to an ST or an FJR type bike with an RDL for all day long distance riding.

Also, IMHO, if you are going to be doing a lot of 2 up riding you should really stick to an ST, FJR, RT or some type of large sport touring bike. Not a consideration for me, so the Tracer works very well for me and I have no regrets.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
...IMHO, if you are going to be doing a lot of 2 up riding you should really stick to an ST, FJR, RT or some type of large sport touring bike. Not a consideration for me, so the Tracer works very well for me and I have no regrets.
Agreed. The seating may or may not work. Is the OP and his wife built like Asians? Or Samoans? :D If the former, I have seen three generations on a 125cc scooter. If the latter...

The latest bikes are ...interesting. Not what "logic" would lead you to believe.

My favorite ride is to Artist Point on Mt. Baker. About 3.5 hours up. About 2-3 hours hiking once there. And another 3.5 hours to get home. On my Suzuki Burgman scooters, I did it and loved it. But when I got home, I really felt like a nap was a wonderful idea. Later, I bought he Honda NT700V, and I had a bit more energy when I got home...but the nap still seemed great. On the F800GT, I was planning what to do when I got home, and I thought of the nap...and decided I really didn't need it. The lawn did need mowing though...a three hour job for me, so I did it. Same road. Same conditions. But one bike really left me refreshed after a long day of riding.

And ReSTored's comment about moving from a 750lb bike to a bike that weighs 470 lbs wet (plus gear), is valid. When I rode with those Canadians who raced through the foothills of Oregon and Northern California, we were equal in the morning. But by 10 am, it was no problem to catch up to them. They were just getting tired of flinging around the extra weight. I didn't get tired like they did.

Chris

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
On the F800GT, I was planning what to do when I got home, and I thought of the nap...and decided I really didn't need it. The lawn did need mowing though...a three hour job for me, so I did it.
I'll bet the nap was more appealing after that. ;)

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Depending on your age, buy what’s super comfortable , and will be in a few years time.You know they creap up faster . Keep your ST for a while.I bet the new bikes modern brakes & electronic suite,suspension will please.Take theST for a rip.Bet new bike will be a Tom Chochrane “No regrets”.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
There is a downside in terms of no shaft drive, there is less weather protection and, really, nothing compares to an ST or an FJR type bike with an RDL for all day long distance riding.
Also, IMHO, if you are going to be doing a lot of 2 up riding you should really stick to an ST, FJR, RT or some type of large sport touring bike.
This will be my main dilemma I think, when the Mrs wants to ride. And I know you are all going to say, buy the GT and keep the ST. Planning on going to view the GT Saturday hopefully.
And Dave, I've never regretted buying any bike yet...:)

Bike
2004 ST1300
Bruce.
After reading alot of the posts I believe it all boils down to how the bike feels between your legs. It's like trying to buy a helmet or a seat. Everyones' head and rear-end is different. "If it doesn't feel right you ain't buying it!"
Another major consideration is your passenger. George has a point.
It took me a year to find my latest ride, however, i sat on one at the dealer one day and "Wow, this is really comfortable." Perhaps you'll find that upgrade in time. Keep looking.
BTW you can always carry a spare belt.
My 2 cents.
Dave

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
The BMW dealer I go to has lent me a F800GS a few times and I thought it was good for short rides but I have a feeling it would be more tiring than your ST if riding for several hours. Never rode a GT but thought it was a good looking bike but had my doubts about long term comfort.
Used to have a F800GS up until 2015. Excellent off-road capabilities. Loved that thing off-road. On the highway, not so much. A touring bike, it was not.

Top Bottom