2017 F800GT

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The only comment I’ll add is about the mileage for belt replacement.
While they may last that long, folks who remove the plastic belt guard, this goes for Harley riders too, it’s very easy to have stones thrown up between the pulley and belt, destroying both without warning.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The only comment I’ll add is about the mileage for belt replacement.
While they may last that long, folks who remove the plastic belt guard, they his goes for Harley riders too, it’s very easy to have stones thrown up between the pulley and belt, destroying both without warning.
Valid point, but it isn't always true. On the first belt that last over twice the manufacturer's recommended life span, I did get a puncture in the belt from a rock. I watched it for tens of thousands of miles till it finally needed changing. But the belt failure was at an entirely different location. The puncture from the rock didn't cause the belt failure.

Chris

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
1673900766499.png

1673900797437.png

Depending on the website source, the Honda ST1300 produces between 100 and 125 hp and moves 700 lbs, not counting the rider and passenger's weight. The F800GT produces 90 hp and moves 470 lbs. I'm probably doing this wrong, but 700 lbs / 125 hp = 0.1785. 470 lbs / 90 hp = 0.19. Looks to me like the power to weight ratio is similar...and maybe in the GT's favor? ;)

Chris

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have seen several Harley Davidson Touring bikes with broken belts, as well as a few Buell Blast singles.
I did repair one of the first BMW F650 singles that they put a belt/pulley on due to rock damage.
I guess its where you live, and what type of roads you ride on.
Here in the Desert, even the highways can feel like a gravel road with so much sand and rock on them.
Harley Used to make a belt repair kit, that had several pins that you threaded the belt through, then pinned it together to get home. Never seen one actually used though.
While the Belt/pulley system is cheap and light weight, its a bear to replace on a Harley at least, because you have to remove ass end of the bike to replace them.
photo6.jpg

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
At over 94,000 miles, I think I've ridden on just about any kind of road, from dirt and gravel, to pavement and all across the western two-thirds of the country. I suspect over half of those miles, probably two-thirds has been in the "desert".

But then I don't have a "Harley Davidson Touring bikes ...or... a few Buell Blast singles". Or a F650 single.

I would add a picture of my bike sitting in my garage with a broken belt...but my belt has never broken. :oops: :D

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
While the Belt/pulley system is cheap and light weight, its a bear to replace on a Harley at least, because you have to remove ass end of the bike to replace them.
photo6.jpg
If I'm not mistaken that includes the complete primary drive. It sure looks like a very involved job.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
At over 94,000 miles, I think I've ridden on just about any kind of road, from dirt and gravel, to pavement and all across the western two-thirds of the country. I suspect over half of those miles, probably two-thirds has been in the "desert".

But then I don't have a "Harley Davidson Touring bikes ...or... a few Buell Blast singles". Or a F650 single.

I would add a picture of my bike sitting in my garage with a broken belt...but my belt has never broken. :oops: :D
Not my HD.
Your BMW would have been better if it had a chain
Like the 650 had.
Consider yourself lucky not to have had a failure in those miles.
Ask some of the mechanics at your BMW shop how many belts they have seen replaced or damaged.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The F800GT produces about 78 hp at the rear wheel, the ST1300 about 109, at least mine did when dyno’d at 158,xxx miles. The 90 and 125 hp figures are at the crankshaft. Both bikes have more than adequate horsepower.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If I'm not mistaken, there is a way to superimpose the two images into one.

Depending on the website source, the Honda ST1300 produces between 100 and 125 hp and moves 700 lbs, not counting the rider and passenger's weight. The F800GT produces 90 hp and moves 470 lbs. I'm probably doing this wrong, but 700 lbs / 125 hp = 0.1785. 470 lbs / 90 hp = 0.19. Looks to me like the power to weight ratio is similar...and maybe in the GT's favor? ;)
Unless your bike can go without you, you must include your weight. What are the numbers then?

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Larry...how much do you weigh? And how much does your wife weigh. :D Or better yet, how much does the OP's wife weigh? Don't stand close to either when you ask the question or you could get smacked. :D

And if you can superimpose the images...go for it. I'm not stopping you. I don't care.

Regarding the belt change on the GT...it takes about 20 minutes tops in a parking lot with standard tools.

Not my HD. [Not mine either. Your pic though, like it was proof]
Your BMW would have been better if it had a chain [Hmm...strange comment coming from someone who probably rides a bike without a chain. It's a sport-touring bike like the ST is, not a dirt bike.]
Like the 650 had. [Hmm...I thought you mentioned the BMW 650 you worked on had a belt?]
Consider yourself lucky not to have had a failure in those miles. [Not lucky. I maintain my own bike.]
Ask some of the mechanics at your BMW shop how many belts they have seen replaced or damaged. [I haven't been to the local dealer in years. It is a trouble-free bike.]
Are we still trying to get feedback on a 2017 F800GT? Because it seems like a lot of bashing by "experts" who have never even sat on one.

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, I agree Chris.

I saw TPadden's F800ST a few years ago and really liked that bike. When I was looking at the Tracer I would have strongly considered the upgraded F800GT. I like the belt approach vs chain, cleaner and saw replacement videos which looked very doable on the road vs a messy chain. If BMW ever brings the bike back in some form, I would strongly consider it as a 2nd bike.. I'm obviously in love with the RT at the moment lol.

I think the biggest issue with 2 up is just the suspension. The ergos look very close but a person really has to just go sit on the bike and take a test ride if possible.

I was curious why Larry would want you to ask BMW dealer mechanics about stats... I thought he felt they were the cause of all bad things in the world included high priced eggs.

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
If the F800GT had a chain, I would not have even considered buying one, and in my view it's what actually makes it a better bike. Just the amount of time I save overs tens of thousands miles not dealing with adjusting, lubing, and cleaning in general is worth it to me. It's quieter than chain and a proven technology. And if a belt does break, it won't put a hole in the engine case like one did on my DL1000 a few years ago. Harleys been belt drive since 92' for a reason. But I'll take the BMW's 20 minute belt replacement any day of the week, in the unlikely case it ever does break. Harley could do better in that regard.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Larry...how much do you weigh? And how much does your wife weigh. :D Or better yet, how much does the OP's wife weigh? Don't stand close to either when you ask the question or you could get smacked. :D

And if you can superimpose the images...go for it. I'm not stopping you. I don't care.

Regarding the belt change on the GT...it takes about 20 minutes tops in a parking lot with standard

Are we still trying to get feedback on a 2017 F800GT? Because it seems like a lot of bashing by "experts" who have never even sat on one.

Chris
Chris, somewhere in my comments I stated that I rode my bike alone, and not with a passenger etc.
Belts on a bike are not new to me, as I have owned and worked on many, all the way back to some old board track Harley’s (leather belts).
The belts have been used on HD and even the small Kawasaki LTD 440, long before BMW used them on their F650 etc.
Yes, changing the belt on your BMW is much easier than most HD.
When the belts became the “in” thing to do to sportsters, I probably installed hundreds of them for folks.
We probably view bikes differently.
I came from a history of track bikes, and chain driven bikes out more horsepower to the rear wheel than belts etc.
And yes, my CVO Roadking has a belt (for now) until I switch it over to a chain (I like the looks better)
I have owned over a dozen BMW’s over the years, and loved the ones I owned.
I just lost interest in them when they went from the airheads to the oil heads (personal choice)
They used to be the most reliable bike on the road, however, that seems to have changed after reading alit of the motorcycle consumer stuff, and them holding the record for the most service issues etc.
The reason I don’t own one anymore, is because they don’t build anything that appeals to me anymore.
If the came back with the R80 basic, F650 rotax,
Or the R90S, I would own another.
I just like the older designs, nothing wrong with that.
Heck if Yamaha came back with the XS650 or SR500, I would be standing in line.
I like building bikes true to what they were designed for, sounds like you just want a trouble free, maintenance free, easy to ride, last a long time bike.
We would all like that.
I think Joe’s new Beemer is beautiful, just not my type.
I just happen to like the look of paint and polish, steel and wood, not plastic and rubber etc.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yeah, I agree Chris.

I saw TPadden's F800ST a few years ago and really liked that bike. When I was looking at the Tracer I would have strongly considered the upgraded F800GT. I like the belt approach vs chain, cleaner and saw replacement videos which looked very doable on the road vs a messy chain. If BMW ever brings the bike back in some form, I would strongly consider it as a 2nd bike.. I'm obviously in love with the RT at the moment lol.

I think the biggest issue with 2 up is just the suspension. The ergos look very close but a person really has to just go sit on the bike and take a test ride if possible.

I was curious why Larry would want you to ask BMW dealer mechanics about stats... I thought he felt they were the cause of all bad things in the world included high priced eggs.
The comment about the stats would show that the belt may have to be replaced sooner, depending on wear. his trusted bmw service department tech could verify that with the broken ones they have replaced.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The comment about the stats would show that the belt should be replaced sooner than later, and his trusted bmw service department could verify that with the broken ones they have replaced.
Sorry, but that's laughable.

Follow the money. The only thing a BMW mechanic will tell you is you must change the belt when you have 24,000 miles. The criteria doesn't say to inspect it. It says to replace it. No ifs, ands or buts. If he doesn't replace it, no matter what he thinks personally, he's taking a huge risk for his job. And when the F800GT was still in production, the belt was @ $550, plus labor. That's a significant chunk of change the dealership would be foregoing. Does anyone really think the BMW mechanic would go against the maintenance specs from BMW and lose close to a grand??? That's laughable. The BMW mechanic's first loyalty is to his dealership's bottom line...not me.

BTW, when the F800GT went out of production, the belt price magically went down to about $125.

I've owned three bikes with belt drives. What I always have done, is to buy a belt and have it on hand when I get to the recommended inspection mileage, or as in the GT's case, the replacement interval...and then keep inspecting it. When the inspection shows it needs replacing, I already have it in the garage. When I go on a trip, I inspect it before leaving. I carry that replacement belt with me and I have the tools with me to change it if needed.

There's nothing magical about the belt.

So the belt replacement interval (not inspection, replacement) is 24,000 miles. I replaced it at 53,000 miles. That's over twice the replacement interval. There was no risk involved. Not if you're smart.

Back to the OP's questions, I hope this eases your mind on the most costly replacement item on the bike.

As for comparing the F800GT to other BMW models, that would be like comparing Hondas to Suzukis. The F800GT is a vertical twin...not a horizontally opposed boxer engine. It has a belt drive, not a shaft or chain drive. About the only thing in common with other BMWs is the tire size and emblem. And because of that, there is no history of past BMWs that is relevant.

Chris

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You completely missed the point of what I said.
I agree with you 100% with your service routine.
And yes, just like HD, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and every other brand is to lie and scare the customers into spending their hard earned money at their dealerships etc.
What I meant was to ask the service department how many damaged ones they have seen.
Of course it’s laughable, yet another reason I don’t own or support BMW anymore, again, personal choice.
The straw that broke the camels back for me was asking the parts guy for a 6mm bolt for the peg that fell out.
They said they could not sell me the bolt, since their assemblies were not broken down in their register computers (BS) so I would have to purchase the entire foot peg bracket and assembly just to get the screw.
It was this stupidity, along with refusing to mount tires for travelers unless they purchased them from said dealership, at two or three times the retail price
That killed it for me.
Damn, now you’ve got me bashing them, which was not my intention (sorry)
Let’s get back to trying to help the OP.
If the bike checks all the boxes for a person, by all means, they should buy it.

Top Bottom