2021 F 850 GSA

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was bored so took a ride to a BMW dealer and test rode an F 850 Gs Adventure...

Wow, nice bike... incredible dash, the standard has a 4 gallon tank and the Adventure has 6 gallons. BMW claims 57 mpg. Even at 50mpg that's a very respectable range. The parallel twin is nothing like the Tracer which is a rocket but it's quick enough. The one I rode had a lower suspension and seat and I could actually flat foot both feet which I don't think I've ever been able to do. I actually think I would prefer a taller seat.

The dash is amazing clear and big. Self canceling turn signals, heated grips, cruise control. The seat seemed comfortable but you need a good 200 miles to really determine that. The windscreen is small and a bigger one might impact mpg.

The front sides of the bike makes you think you are on the big GS but it feels as light as the Tracer. They are close in weight. The big side sections will probably provide more wind protection for your knee/lower legs.

I do think in a couple years this may be my next ride, I was very impressed by it.IMG_20201212_095358.jpg

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Cool, I am going back n forth on an adventure bike. I’m thinking of selling the RT and was looking at 750GS and 850GS, really want to test ride one but we are in winter mode around here and have to wait til a clear day although we have another snow storm forecast for this week so I may have to wait longer.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As ADV bikes go that bikes looks don't bother me. It's actually not bad looking. (Not a fan of the ADV style). But if I were to get one it would probably never see off-road. I do like the idea of its seat height/suspension.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As ADV bikes go that bikes looks don't bother me. It's actually not bad looking. (Not a fan of the ADV style). But if I were to get one it would probably never see off-road. I do like the idea of its seat height/suspension.
Same here, I don't plan off road adventures but like have some of that functionality if ever needed.
The new Tiger 900 GT Pro is also on the radar when the time come.

Getting back on the Tracer it is apparent that is the biggest strength of that bike.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
VStrom 650
Nice looking Bmw, don't think I'd ever buy a Bmw though.
this new Honda could be a great sport tourer, Africa twin 100 engine. if they get the design specs and comfort right it could be a big seller. I'm not a fan of the spoked wheels on the Africa twin.
Rumors of a Honda CB1100X Are Heating Up...And They Look Good - Asphalt & Rubber (asphaltandrubber.com)
I hope the rumours of the CB1100X, which do seem to be building within Japan, bring us a replacement for the CBF1000. I personally can't see an "Adventure" bike providing what I would like going forward.
Upt'North.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Yeah it will be another year probably before it's unveiled, lots of word about it though, it's to go up against the tracer etc.
they have the Rebel cruiser version with the same engine coming out soon.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Joe,
I have not ridden the 850 but have lots of miles on an 800. Good all around bike.
f you have a compliant KTM dealer in your area, take a 790 Adventure (R or S) for a spin. I looked at the Beemer before deciding on the KTM. Fun to look!!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Yup, but it's also a bit on the heavier side and closer to a super ten. I'll try one out when the time comes.
I sure like my CRF1000 DCT - The Crf1100 is actually a couple of pounds lighter than the GS850 and the seat height is within 1/2" of being the same. You will also find that an Africa twin feels so much lighter and smaller than an S10 it is almost 70lbs lighter. One black mark that Honda has with the Adventure Sport Model is all the fuel tank/pump contamination issues. I hope they have that under control now. It has been an issue for 3 years. It does not affect the Std models Africa Twins though.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I recently read a comparison review of the '19 F850GS and Africa Twin. Both bikes reviewed very well against the other but as equipped the Honda was $5,000 cheaper IIRC!

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
How do the 2 cylinder bikes compare to the V4’s, in terms of response or torque curve? Or does it not matter, due to their power to weight ratio?
Due to my lack of experience, I always feel/think that the 4 cylinder engine has power available more readily, followed by a 3 cylinder, and then 2 cylinders.

I started thinking about that after initially getting excited about the rumored CB1100X, but then my enthusiasm was curbed by remembering it’s a twin, and not my beloved V4.

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Just can't bring myself to buy a Euro bike, so no BMW's, no KTM's, no Moto Guzzi's, no Ducati's for me. Will wait and hope the CB1100X becomes a reality.

if not will keep riding my CB1100 DLX and my FJR as long as I can hold them up

as I age (going to be 71 in a few months) a Maxi scooter is sounding more and more like a good idea in a couple of years

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
How do the 2 cylinder bikes compare to the V4’s, in terms of response or torque curve? Or does it not matter, due to their power to weight ratio?
Due to my lack of experience, I always feel/think that the 4 cylinder engine has power available more readily, followed by a 3 cylinder, and then 2 cylinders.

I started thinking about that after initially getting excited about the rumored CB1100X, but then my enthusiasm was curbed by remembering it’s a twin, and not my beloved V4.
The Africa Twin engine has a 270 deg. firing order so It sounds a bit like a Harley or V-twin engine. It is very smooth running but has a very pleasing and surprising growl to the engine. It has a very broad power band and is extremely responsive with impressive torque in the low and midrange. It will absolutely destroy my ST1100 in a drag race or with passing on the highway. Even though the KTM 1190/ 1290 that the Africa twin competes with have substantially more horsepower the Africa Twin will actually out horsepower them up to about 70 mph. This makes it very fun to ride in real world riding situations in the twisties or off road. Surprisingly the DCT version will out accelerate the std. transmission model as it shifts so quickly. As you can tell I really like my AT.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
My son has a f700gs. It's actually an 800cc motor. It's a very smooth riding bike and very comfortable even with the stock seat. My wife has a f800st with the same motor but tuned different. Rotax made the motors on the earlier bikes. The throttle is much more touchy on her bike. That motor really wakes up once you get the rpm's over 5k and is really smooth below that. From your picture it doesn't look like the gas tank is under the seat on that bike? One nice thing BMW offers is a regular or low suspension and also a low, regular , or high seat . Well atleast they used to on the g650gs model.

Top Bottom