2021 F 850 GSA

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Over 35+ years of Alps riding I've rented and ridden almost every BMW in the Alps except the K1600 series (I prefer the R1200RTs two up). I owned big bikes here in NH (a CBR1100XX for many years) so I used to rent R 1100s 1150s, 1200s and K1200 and 1300s (the S and R models). I rented the bigger GS models but they seemed a little too tall and squirrely (probably a factor of the tires) for me - whereas the corresponding roadster models like the R1100R, 1150R and R1200R had similar motors, wide bars and street orientation and were close to perfect for the Alps.

About 10 years ago I started trying smaller bikes, for rental cost reasons, fuel cost reasons and just lighter to maneuver. These included NT700V and G650GS thumper, both good bikes traveling solo but not enough oomph as a tour guide with riders on bigger bikes. The KTM 690 Duke was actually pretty quick, but no luggage capacity. Based on the bikes available to rent it came down to the BMW F serious bikes.

I've rented them all - the 800R, 800ST and GT and the 700GS and 750GS. I did try the F800GS for 2-3 days but did not like it in the Alps for the same reason that I did not get on with the bigger GS.

I've been able to watch and ride the 800s as they evolve over the years. The F700GS and now the 750GS have been my go to bikes when riding solo. The 750GS in particular is a great bike, more than enough power for the twisties, sweepers and autobahn, good on hard packed roads and trails, great expandable side cases, the ESA option works well and very reliable. A very good, comfortable do-it-all bike.

My tour members frequently ask me for a recommendation on bikes to rent when touring the Alps. Several have taken my suggestion on the F750GS and two of them have come back to North America and bought them. If I were to downsize from my ST1300 the F750GS would be at the top of my list.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I was bored so took a ride to a BMW dealer and test rode an F 850 Gs Adventure...

Wow, nice bike... incredible dash, the standard has a 4 gallon tank and the Adventure has 6 gallons. BMW claims 57 mpg. Even at 50mpg that's a very respectable range. The parallel twin is nothing like the Tracer which is a rocket but it's quick enough. The one I rode had a lower suspension and seat and I could actually flat foot both feet which I don't think I've ever been able to do. I actually think I would prefer a taller seat.

The dash is amazing clear and big. Self canceling turn signals, heated grips, cruise control. The seat seemed comfortable but you need a good 200 miles to really determine that. The windscreen is small and a bigger one might impact mpg.

The front sides of the bike makes you think you are on the big GS but it feels as light as the Tracer. They are close in weight. The big side sections will probably provide more wind protection for your knee/lower legs.

I do think in a couple years this may be my next ride, I was very impressed by it.IMG_20201212_095358.jpg
Thank for sharing this. I too keep looking that these bikes - both this and the 1250 - but wonder, if I never ride if off road, does that matter? Most people never take their SUVs offroad, is that same true for one of these?
John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My son has a f700gs. It's actually an 800cc motor. It's a very smooth riding bike and very comfortable even with the stock seat. My wife has a f800st with the same motor but tuned different. Rotax made the motors on the earlier bikes. The throttle is much more touchy on her bike. That motor really wakes up once you get the rpm's over 5k and is really smooth below that. From your picture it doesn't look like the gas tank is under the seat on that bike? One nice thing BMW offers is a regular or low suspension and also a low, regular , or high seat . Well atleast they used to on the g650gs model.
The 650/700/800s and the 850s do not have the same engine design. BMW completely broke with the earlier engine design with the 850, the engines are completely different with a different crankshaft orientation. Actually nothing carries over from the earlier bikes, its a completely new bike. The old engine has a 360 degree crank and the new one is 270 degrees. The 853cc 850 engine is no longer manufactured by Rotax, it's now made under license in China by contract manufacturer Lonchin. BMW supposedly favored the 360 crank of the previous 798cc motor because it mimicked the sound and feel of their iconic opposed twins even though it was a parallel twin.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
Thank for sharing this. I too keep looking that these bikes - both this and the 1250 - but wonder, if I never ride if off road, does that matter? Most people never take their SUVs offroad, is that same true for one of these?
John
it really doesn't matter, my 1200 GSA ( 2011 ) is too big and heavy for me to ever do any serious off roading. as a road bike i really like that 8.8 gallon gas tank but the windshield doesn't have good coverage. yes the GSA is tall and with ohlins shocks front and back mine is taller than most. yes my GSA has vibration and with my foot problem i haven't been riding it. its much more compliant with that long travel suspension when riding over pot holes so i actually prefer to ride it around the city. it handles quite well on curvy roads too but as a road bike it could never replace my beloved ST 1300
20200628_071429.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The largest dualsport I've ridden is my previous KTM950, and @drbuzzard is correct - ya gotta have it together to aptly pilot the big dudes / ADV bikes.
When I started dualsporting, I sold my '97 Blackbird and started with the BMW f650 Dakar. I was amazed at how it made me a better all-round rider, not just in the dirt, but having to optimize a thumper in its powerband, versus just rolling on the throttle whenever with a big inline-four.
While I love, love, LOVE my ST13, there's one big thing it just won't do... carry me safely and comfortably offroad. (Not just talking about dirt lanes and gravel paths.)
There's another KTM in my future, alongside the ST while we accumulate road miles.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Any-one own or ridden a Moto Guzzi V85TT?
I almost bought one before I bought my Africa Twin. The only reason why I did not was the lighter (smaller dia. forks) suspension and not as off-road worthy as the AT, also so few of dealerships around. The V85 is a fun bike to ride, small feeling and low to the ground for an Adventure bike. I really was torn about getting one. I just kept imagining myself out in the middle of Wyoming somewhere having a problem with no dealers close.

Bike
R1200rt
Cool, I am going back n forth on an adventure bike. I’m thinking of selling the RT and was looking at 750GS and 850GS, really want to test ride one but we are in winter mode around here and have to wait til a clear day although we have another snow storm forecast for this week so I may have to wait longer.
No worries they have snow tires one them

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I used to ride a 2010 F800GS (Rotax twin). I loved, loved that bike off-road, specially with the 21 inch front. Never had an issue with the bike, engine or otherwise. Took that bike in some gnarly stuff off-road. But, the twin was very buzzy on the highway, and the wind protection was minimal, at best, which was not in my mind conducive to touring at all. Ended up being a tiring ride all day on the pavement. Traded it in for a new 2015 GSA. Never looked back. Much better wind protection, 330 mile range, still usable in decent off-road stuff with the right tires. Used K60 Heidenau's for a good while on this bike. No issues, on or off-road. Can be a handfull off-road if you're not careful or if you are "new" to off-road riding. I used my experience I had from the 800GS and ran with it.

Now a days, as I am getting old(er), and always was / is riding solo off-read, am leaning more and more towards pavement riding, with the occasional stints out there. Because of this, I shoed the GSA with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's, which I would say is a decent fire-road tire, but an excellent road tire. So, the big GSA has been my touring bike for 5 years, has 45K+ miles on it, and is running absolutely beautiful. I love the electronic suspension, electronic traction control, ride modes and all that comes with it.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jethro,
If you're interested in the V85, they've also just put the same lump in the V7.
Probably because of Euro 5.
Upt'North.
IMG_20201215_125653.jpg
The V7 version is detuned quite a bit to be A2 compliant so it’s not exactly the same. Something like 63 hp vs 85 hp in V85.

I almost bought one before I bought my Africa Twin. The only reason why I did not was the lighter (smaller dia. forks) suspension and not as off-road worthy as the AT, also so few of dealerships around. The V85 is a fun bike to ride, small feeling and low to the ground for an Adventure bike. I really was torn about getting one. I just kept imagining myself out in the middle of Wyoming somewhere having a problem with no dealers close.
The Moto Guzzi V85TT is one of the best value for cost bikes on the market - hard if not impossible to find a bike in this mid power range equipped with a shaft drive. There is no doubt if you are off road oriented that this bike is not the best choice. It's more of a pavement/ gravel bike. It doesn't have all the advanced electronics of some of its competitors however it is adequately equipped. Power is also less than most of its competition, so the fun factor is somewhat subdued however again it is adequate for touring. A unique bike however as you mentioned dealer support is definitely a consideration. If most of my biking was local I definitely would consider this bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
it really doesn't matter, my 1200 GSA ( 2011 ) is too big and heavy for me to ever do any serious off roading. as a road bike i really like that 8.8 gallon gas tank but the windshield doesn't have good coverage. yes the GSA is tall and with ohlins shocks front and back mine is taller than most. yes my GSA has vibration and with my foot problem i haven't been riding it. its much more compliant with that long travel suspension when riding over pot holes so i actually prefer to ride it around the city. it handles quite well on curvy roads too but as a road bike it could never replace my beloved ST 1300
20200628_071429.jpg
Thanks for the input. Where is the vibration issue?

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks for the input. Where is the vibration issue?
the motor itself, normally it isn't an issue but it bothers the unhealed tendons in my foot. if thee is no improvement with my foot by spring i'm going to sell the GSA and get a vstrom 650xt, too bad suzuki hasn't seen fit to add 100cc to the motor

Bike
2010 ST-1300
the motor itself, normally it isn't an issue but it bothers the unhealed tendons in my foot. if thee is no improvement with my foot by spring i'm going to sell the GSA and get a vstrom 650xt, too bad suzuki hasn't seen fit to add 100cc to the motor
Why not buy a V-Strom 1000? I've seen some good deals on these.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Geeze that's a gorgeous bike - a classic UJM. Well except that it's Italian. If it had Honda reliability or at least their dealership support I'd own one. It'd make a great second bike and eventually a great first bike.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Honda should throw that Africa Twin engine into a UJM style bike too, the engine is a real winner like as the great gear driven cam engine from the 4th and 5th gen vfr's was.
Bmw with a Chinese engine? nah.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Top Bottom