300,000 miles on the Black Pearl.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I rode his bike in Arkansas when it had around 250,000 miles on it. It ran like my at around 100,000 miles. And it ran like mine the day I bought it new in 07. I have bought several bikes since. It’s still in my garage. I call it Old Faithfully. A coworker wants to buy it at work. Not sure it’s for sale yet. I still like it.

turbomaker

I live one commute mile at a time
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
These types of milestones always astound me. A car is tested for 100,000 mile (exposure/shock/vibe) to qualify for sale (most countries). A motorcycle is cycled at 18,000 miles, as many motorcycles do not see extreme duration cycling or use. The expectation is it will be ridden less distance/time than a car, and its end of life comes more quickly than a car. Heavily modified decorative Ducati's in the garage or on the wall are an outlier.

For the engine to last 300,000 is in itself, remarkable, but the frame (joints, welds) also lasting that long is also remarkable. The long and short duty cycle (vibration over time) was [probably] never explored at this duration. The fact that the tabs, fasteners, and other joints are also still functioning (due to moment arm flexing) over time is also remarkable. Lastly, the plastic gears in the IP also lasting...just wow.

Bike
2000 ST1100
:bl13:No surprise to me. The sport touring crowd and the Goldwing people probably maintain their motorcycles better than the other classes of motorcycle riders. Cars and motorcycles are built way better than they use to be especially the powertrains. The oil, gear oil and brake fluids are better too. Today its not uncommon to see cars in the 200K plus miles and running like new. Motorcycles such as 500K miles plus Goldwings still running. What they all have in common is regular on time maintenance. I've met Raymond and his ST1300 and I can confirm it runs well

Top Bottom