5W 30 engine oil

manus6600

Mohammed Mansoor
Bike
ST1300
Hii guys,
A quick question.
I am using 10w 40 Mobil synthetic oil in my ST-1300' 2009.
i can change the oil to 5w 30 Liqui Moly?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably not. The oil bathed wet clutch in your bike may be ruined using an oil containing the friction modifiers necessary to allow 5w cold performance.

Use only an oil that meets or exceeds JASO MA or MA2 certification. This is clearly marked on the bottle.

I don’t believe any multiweight motor oil with 5w cold performance will meet this requirement.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Probably not. The oil bathed wet clutch in your bike may be ruined using an oil containing the friction modifiers necessary to allow 5w cold performance.

Use only an oil that meets or exceeds JASO MA or MA2 certification. This is clearly marked on the bottle.

I don’t believe any multiweight motor oil with 5w cold performance will meet this requirement.
Uh oh, I've been using 5W-40 in my bike for a long time. I made sure to not use energy-conserving, but otherwise I figured it didn't really matter. Over 70,000 miles now and so far no problems.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is there not a diagram in the owner's manual showing which oil grades to use depending on ambient temperatures? I know its in the shop manual.

Hey guys, this thread is an improvement on the old oil threads. It combines oil and moly. Now all we need is one combining oil, moly, tires, and batteries.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uh oh, I've been using 5W-40 in my bike for a long time. I made sure to not use energy-conserving, but otherwise I figured it didn't really matter. Over 70,000 miles now and so far no problems.
I’m sorry to have replied with the phrase “any multiweight” when I meant referring to a 5w30 oil in particular. To my knowledge there are no 5w30 oils that are not labeled Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving and then also meet or exceed JASO certification. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've been buying counterfeit 5w30 on Amazon for years. The "energy conserving" printing has a different font than the legit product label, so its actually compatible with wet clutches, but only if you install counterfeit clutch plates.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Plain & simple...I see temps from the mid 20'sF to the mid 110'sF I haven't had any issues using diesel dino 15W-40 oils for the last 14 years and over 380K miles in 5 ST1300s (174K, 95K, 50K, 37K & 28K)).

It's cheap and works just fine! :thumb:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Shell Rotella T6 is sold as a 5W-40 and is JASO certified.
Is it actually certified by JASO now?
Curious as I don't think that it was JASO certified a while back.
It did not state or claim JASO certification at that time either. It stated that it "Meets the performance requirements of" JASO MA/MA2.

A while back Lee (@beemerphile) wrote that he had checked and Shell Rotella T6 was not certifed by JASO.
He wrote; (From this thread if you wish to have a look)
They state JASO MA compliance for Rotella but they don't use the JASO rectangle and the Rotella oils are not listed by JALOS.
and
Shell Rotella oils were not listed on the JALOS list. Therefore they are not legally authorized to use the MA rectangle, and they do not. Here is the list. There are no Shell Rotella oils on it.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Things got trickier beginning in 2017 with this announcement from API...

http://vietsea.net/news/api-pulls-plug-on-energy-conserving-id=230

Lots of people have ignored the JASO MA requirement thinking that as long as the oil did not say "Energy Conserving" that all was well with the wet clutch. With this change, oils that used to say "Energy Conserving" may still be marketed, but may no longer make the Energy Conserving statement on the label. This makes JASO MA now the only way to assure that the oil is safe for wet clutches. Non Energy Conserving is no longer adequate to know that the oil does not have friction reducing additives that can react negatively with wet clutches. But, buying a JASO MA rated oil is so easy, it baffles me that people still try to search out a less conclusive way to select the proper oil and roll the dice by using it.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This makes JASO MA now the only way to assure that the oil is safe for wet clutches. Non Energy Conserving is no longer adequate to know that the oil does not have friction reducing additives that can react negatively with wet clutches. But, buying a JASO MA rated oil is so easy, it baffles me that people still try to search out a less conclusive way to select the proper oil and roll the dice by using it.
I agree.
I used to use automobile oils meeting the specs. in the manual all the time because they were significantly cheaper than buying motorcycle specific oil from the Honda dealer. Starting as far back as 2013 it began getting more and more difficult to find non-motorcycle specific oils that met the wet clutch requirements in either 10W30 or 10W40 around my area.

I eventually through in the towel as the effort in determining the credibility of the claims on the container as well as what they were actually claiming was no longer worth it to me and I just buy motorcycle specific oil now and be done with it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
So what's the practical significance of Rotella claiming to meet JASO requirements on the label, and being officially certified as JASO approved?? Does that mean Shell has tested it themselves and can claim it meets the requirements, but never submitted it to the JASO organization for official testing and approval?? Since they don't sell it as motorcycle oil, they probably don't want to pay the fees associated with having it officially JASO approved, is that the real difference, or is there more to it than that??

Top Bottom