Abba Skylift

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I don't have a Skylift, but I have an Abba SuperStand for my VFR1200X, so I can vouch for the company's high standards of construction.

20220326_152433.jpg

I don't know if there are adapters to make it fit my ST1300 - mine has the older style swingarm pivots with a small hexagonal hole and large surround on the left side.

pivot1.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My only concern with that TYPE of lift would be the casters used.
Unless your garage floor is totally smooth, I'd worry about the casters catching in a seam or stopped by debris such as a loose bolt or nut laying around, and pitching the bike.
I've used J&S Jackstands, Pitbull stands, and various other types.
The Pitbull and J&S show folks sitting on the bike for their pictures, but the don't recommend YOU doing it.
I've had hydraulic stands fail, and one even pitch a RoadKing off on its side when the fluid seal gave way, and squirted out across the garage.
And yes, I always used the locking/support systems, and released the pressure etc.
However, when you have to LOWER most of them, you have to LIFT the bike up enough to release the locking bar, and its at this moment that they can fail!
And it gives them a running start to really whack the welded on stop tabs, which can then break off.
I like worm driven lifts (Old Harley Davidson) or K&L type center lifts.
My Handy is Hydraulic, however, it has a serious welded support to keep it from failing imho.
I've seen more than one harbor freight lift flop over sideways.
(not my picture)
k1200.jpg
Yep, never underestimate weight and laws of leverage...

improved my lift with a few measures:

IMG_20191027_110433.jpg

full width roll over lip....

IMG_20191027_110614.jpg

the now obsolete, too narrow original serves as ground anchor, preventing forward movement and tilting the front up when pushing a motorcycle on...
(prior to this that table actually ran away when the ST's front wheel weight came up the detachable ramp... weird feeling...)

IMG_20191027_110652.jpg

overworked the former flimsy valve operation on the hydraulic jack...
(also checked every single bolt, nut and welding seam before commissioning it into use...)

IMG_20191027_120117.jpg

bolted that trap door shut so the main stand can neither fall in nor get caught in between the plates...

PS: that weird front wheel clamp never came to use... main stand and scissor jack for me, always...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just got the Sky Lift at lunch and put it together.

One this you know for certain when you start looking at all the parts, this was NOT made in China.. the steel is thick and all the bolts are heavy duty. Fairly simple to put together. I had to get back to work so didn't have time to put the bike on it but I will later and get some pics.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Both wheels off the ground, this is probably how I'll always use it as you just strap the rear end using the adapter they give you.

IMG_20221209_144630.jpg

IMG_20221209_145212.jpg

If I just wanted to change the rear tire, no strap needed.

IMG_20221209_144859.jpg

If you want just the front end up like a wheelie, you use the strap but it's connected to the base of the lift (Black) vs the riser part of the lift (Red).

IMG_20221209_145206.jpg

The trickiest part is just holding the bike up with the side stand up while you line up the pins that go into the swingarm bolt openings but, it wasn't that bad.

Bike
2005 st1300
That looks really slick. I just went to their website to check out pricing and there are no listing for kits for bigger bikes. No Goldwing, k1600 or ST 1100 or 1300. They must have a weight limit that the bigger bikes exceed. I couldn't find a weight limit, but I did not look too hard.
It looks like it ticks all the boxes for you :thumb:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That looks really slick. I just went to their website to check out pricing and there are no listing for kits for bigger bikes. No Goldwing, k1600 or ST 1100 or 1300. They must have a weight limit that the bigger bikes exceed. I couldn't find a weight limit, but I did not look too hard.
It looks like it ticks all the boxes for you :thumb:
The RT is just like 50 lbs lighter. I think it's more about the swingarm bolt changes they did in the UK after police wobble issues. They may have adapters for U.S. and Canadian versions.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Contact them..... although not listed, e.g., there is an adapter set for the FJR which weighs 642 wet in stock trim without bags.... if they developed a set for the ST, they'll tell you.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Beautiful bike you got there!
That blue is just stunning.
Nice lift too
Keep an eye on the casters

Bike
2005 st1300
The RT is just like 50 lbs lighter. I think it's more about the swingarm bolt changes they did in the UK after police wobble issues. They may have adapters for U.S. and Canadian versions.
So , I have watched the videos and am impressed but I have always been a little leery of advertising in this case... So, now that we know of someone that has one, what are your thoughts on the stability Joe. Do you think one could possibly climb on/over their RT or ST with confidence? Not that I think one should do that, but is it that sturdy?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dont stop reading yet...

In one of the promotional vids, a guy climbs up and over a bike on the skylift. I was simply asking if that was far fetched
Not on an ST or RT...would it hold, yeah I believe so but I wouldn't do it.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The only drawback for me is the damn lift is in the way when working on the bike.
A Handy table lift is perfect for elevated parking (in flood areas) working on your bike while comfortably sitting in a chair or stool, and can be used for a pet grooming table as well.
You can also use it for loading a bike into a truck without a ramp.
You lift would be perfect for storing bikes in the garage, and moving them around though.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The only drawback for me is the damn lift is in the way when working on the bike.
I see that as a tie, a table lift is in the way in other ways so until the bike can be lifted by an anti gravity beam, both have this issue.

A Handy table lift is perfect for elevated parking (in flood areas) working on your bike while comfortably sitting in a chair or stool, and can be used for a pet grooming table as well.
You can store the bike on this lift as well and only get dogs with short hair. LOL

You can also use it for loading a bike into a truck without a ramp.
What? You lost me at 'loading a bike into a truck'. Also, you still have to unload it LOL

You lift would be perfect for storing bikes in the garage, and moving them around though.
With the bike on the lift it's much easier to move around than the park n move I have, mostly due to the front wheel on the ground w/park n move so you have to push down on the back to get all the maneuverability from that option. The Sky Lift is always on the casters.

Top Bottom