Abba Skylift

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You really didn't have to do that, Joe. I already said I know i want one.
(And the NoMar changer makes your garage look like a pro shop, too!)
When will you have us all over for a tech day?
LOL.. no one wants to come to Dallas for a tech day.. I have changed a lot of tires for folks though with this changer, gotta be in the 400-ish range, I stopped counting around 300.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I imagine you have!
I'm fortunate enough to have had 2 friends with the NoMar, and in fact visited one for my last front on the ST, a couple of weeks ago.
And I wouldn't be so sure that no one wants to come to Dallas...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Regarding the Big Blue - I had the EazyRizer for a couple of years. I got an adapter system for the ST1300 which fitted a cross member and supported / lifted the bike under the footpeg brackets. They then had to be U-bolted unto the footrest. (U-clip = those U shaped rods which are threaded at both ends.

It was very stable. It doesn't look it, but it is. In order to knock the bike over it has to use one of the outlying parts as a fulcrum. Which means you have to lift the entire weight of the bike in order for it to fall over. It is misleading at ground level because the 'vertical' lift helix and metal support are not vertical. They lean a good way away from the bike so as it is lifted, the bike is centrally positioned above a base which extends well outside of the bike's footprint / shadow.

BUT - I hated it. It was a nightmare getting it on using the footpeg brackets as you had to do one side and then the other while the bike isn't supported by anything but you. Also, when raised, the main beam goes all the way under the centre and the cross member goes between the footpegs. There is very little room under there to gain access to anything that might need the bike to be up high.
The last time I used it, I noticed that the supporting brackets for the footpegs had developed a slight bend. I didn't want to use them again.

I was told that the way to use it was to lift it up using the exhaust collector and sump. There was no way that I was going to put the entire weight of the bike through those exhaust manifold studs.

I decided that it was a bad decision and bought myself a standard hydraulic ramp instead. So much easier to get the bike onto; to secure; and to work on.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm not familiar with that make or the setup, John, but it sounds to be of limited value.
The way you describe the supports, it would seem even an oil change would be clumsy.
Above all else, I don't want to put the bike's weight on the headers, anyway, as you said.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I have a unit similar to this one...

Bought it for my Triumph Rocket 3 and would like to use it on my ST but unsure if the Sump Pan would be strong enough to use for raising it up, any thoughts guy's?
Mine has Outriggers on the base so no issues with tipping over, just want to make sure the sump wouldn't be damaged...

Bike
2005 st1300
I pulled the trigger on one of these this a.m. I have to say it's off to a good start. I ordered at 8 a.m. They emailed me at 9:45 saying the order was filled and I got an email from DHL at 11:45 saying my shipment was on the move. That's some fast service!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I pulled the trigger on one of these this a.m. I have to say it's off to a good start. I ordered at 8 a.m. They emailed me at 9:45 saying the order was filled and I got an email from DHL at 11:45 saying my shipment was on the move. That's some fast service!!
Did you get it?

Bike
2005 st1300
Did you get it?
I did get it. I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation so I havent had time to open the box yet. I suppose I should set it up and make sure everything is there. Their service was very good getting it to me. I will post pics when I get the bike on it. Hopefully in the next couple of days

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Here's a pic of the lift stored against the wall fully assembled with the legs on:

IMG_20221209_180954.jpg

Here's one with the legs off in the same location:

IMG_20221209_155902.jpg
Thanks for sharing your experience with us Joe. Seriously contemplating this option for my workshop. The one thing their website, and to some extent your photos, don't clearly show is how the Skylift collapses for storage. The first picture in your post I quoted shows it fully assembled against your workshop wall. the other with some components removed is less clear with your compressor and tire changer in the picture. It looks like the black arms can be removed from their receivers allowing the main unit with the hydraulic cylinder and the black base to stand upright while those removed arms can be stored on end as well?

My cluttered workshop doesn't have the space for me to leave it fully assembled when not in use. At least at the moment!

1676485919823.png

On a related note, I sent an email to their customer service and they don't offer a kit for the ST1100. Once the side panels are removed to reveal the swingarm pivots, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with the 1100 assuming you had the right adapter pins. Sounds like another date with the lathe could knock out suitable parts rather easily.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for sharing your experience with us Joe. Seriously contemplating this option for my workshop. The one thing their website, and to some extent your photos, don't clearly show is how the Skylift collapses for storage. The first picture in your post I quoted shows it fully assembled against your workshop wall. the other with some components removed is less clear with your compressor and tire changer in the picture. It looks like the black arms can be removed from their receivers allowing the main unit with the hydraulic cylinder and the black base to stand upright while those removed arms can be stored on end as well?

My cluttered workshop doesn't have the space for me to leave it fully assembled when not in use. At least at the moment!

1676485919823.png

On a related note, I sent an email to their customer service and they don't offer a kit for the ST1100. Once the side panels are removed to reveal the swingarm pivots, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with the 1100 assuming you had the right adapter pins. Sounds like another date with the lathe could knock out suitable parts rather easily.
Yes, the black legs can be removed. I think they don't show an st1100 kit because something has to be removed first but seems like it should work fine once the adapter is identified.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
In another thread regarding the Skylift, @Mellow mentioned it was a nerve-racking task to stabilize the bike at first, mating the stand to the bike. And noted it was less tense, as he became familiar with the process.
I wonder if it's possible to move the lift into position with the bike on its centerstand, until the second side was secured also?
At the same time, I'm certain folks would have tried it already...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
In another thread regarding the Skylift, @Mellow mentioned it was a nerve-racking task to stabilize the bike at first, mating the stand to the bike. And noted it was less tense, as he became familiar with the process.
I wonder if it's possible to move the lift into position with the bike on its centerstand, until the second side was secured also?
At the same time, I'm certain folks would have tried it already...
I wouldn't call it nerve-racking at all.. Probably similar to putting a bike on a table lift and raising it up and thinking it might fall.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Maybe nervous or uncertain would have been more accurate?
I WILL say that using my little Craftsman bike jack is nerve-racking, with larger bikes.
Still planning to buy the Abba, sometime after I go fetch that BMW GSA on the other side if the country.
And thank you for clarifying for us.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Maybe nervous or uncertain would have been more accurate?
I WILL say that using my little Craftsman bike jack is nerve-racking, with larger bikes.
Still planning to buy the Abba, sometime after I go fetch that BMW GSA on the other side if the country.
And thank you for clarifying for us.
No prob. Will get curious how you like the GSA. Great to get a riding course as part of the deal then ride it back across the country, great break-in.

Top Bottom