Abba Skylift

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There's also the Big Blue MC lift (some bikes require additional hardware to secure the bike) I looked at but in the end I preferred the Sky Lift as it has more flexible options and the Big Blue, other than height, wasn't much different than the traditional MC/ATV floor jacks that are a lot cheaper.

Bike
2005 st1300
There's also the Big Blue MC lift (some bikes require additional hardware to secure the bike) I looked at but in the end I preferred the Sky Lift as it has more flexible options and the Big Blue, other than height, wasn't much different than the traditional MC/ATV floor jacks that are a lot cheaper.

Interesting. I think the skylift looks more stable. The vid with the k1600 looks to have some stabilizing "arms" affixing the bike to the base but the wing looks like it was just picked up and is resting on the lift.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Interesting. I think the skylift looks more stable. The vid with the k1600 looks to have some stabilizing "arms" affixing the bike to the base but the wing looks like it was just picked up and is resting on the lift.
They sell additional hardware for the wing as well but probably due to the engine being flat and lower than the exhaust it's probably not needed.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I heard back from the manufacturer of skylift and they do have a kit for the ST1300, they just don't have it listed
Also, the cost to get it to Canada is crazy, better to find a friend over the border.. wink wink.

Bike
2005 st1300
Also, the cost to get it to Canada is crazy, better to find a friend over the border.. wink wink.
As a rule, yes, usually, but shipping is only $20 to Canada. That kinda shipping is usually unheard of. You would still get shafted on taxes, exchange and duty, regardless of whether you had a friend south of the border or not.
At $20 shipping, I am starting to wonder if they have a Canadian distributor. That box yours came in had to have been fairly heavy, no?? Shipped by courier or USPS?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As a rule, yes, usually, but shipping is only $20 to Canada. That kinda shipping is usually unheard of. You would still get shafted on taxes, exchange and duty, regardless of whether you had a friend south of the border or not.
At $20 shipping, I am starting to wonder if they have a Canadian distributor. That box yours came in had to have been fairly heavy, no?? Shipped by courier or USPS?
DHL and at least 80-100 lbs

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As some of you may know, I've been looking at everything I can find regarding the BMW R1200GS, and came across this short video of the Abba Skylift in use. For our purposes, consider the weight of the GSA the same as the ST1300. Close enough...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Question, the second video Mellow posted shows the operator using a drill/impact to raise and lower the lift, meaning it is a very strong worm drive etc.
The Video that Sadlsor posted shows the guy using a foot pedal, which would indicate hydraulic fluid.
I would personally trust the worm driven gear type over the hydraulic fluid type, simply because I've seen so many fluid type lifts (pitbull, J&S, Craftsman, Harbor Freight-Snap OFF tools) fail and toss bikes off.
Joe, does yours have any kind of safety stops once you raise it?
Just wondering.
Looks great for washing/detail stuff.
Except for all the dirt & mud he blew all over his Mini :rofl1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Question, the second video Mellow posted shows the operator using a drill/impact to raise and lower the lift, meaning it is a very strong worm drive etc.
The Video that Sadlsor posted shows the guy using a foot pedal, which would indicate hydraulic fluid.
I would personally trust the worm driven gear type over the hydraulic fluid type, simply because I've seen so many fluid type lifts (pitbull, J&S, Craftsman, Harbor Freight-Snap OFF tools) fail and toss bikes off.
Joe, does yours have any kind of safety stops once you raise it?
Just wondering.
Looks great for washing/detail stuff.
Except for all the dirt & mud he blew all over his Mini :rofl1:
The one with the worm drive is Big Blue, a different lift in the UK, I posted as an alternative.

There is a pin you put through one of several holes in the lift to secure it in place.

In the pics, the pin is just in the top hole but you can see where the heavy duty bracket hole will line up with the ones in the black vertical bar and then the pin will be placed through both.

1671045116849.png

1671045178878.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
From the Abba website:
  • NEW - Now supplied with our 3rd generation hydraulic ram. The new internals of our latest ram, combined with the foot pedal operation mean the lifting speed is around 40% faster than shown in some of our original videos. It now only takes around 35 seconds to lift to max height!

Abba main page

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
From the Abba website:
  • NEW - Now supplied with our 3rd generation hydraulic ram. The new internals of our latest ram, combined with the foot pedal operation mean the lifting speed is around 40% faster than shown in some of our original videos. It now only takes around 35 seconds to lift to max height!

Abba main page
Yeah, watching the videos I was thinking it sure was taking a long time to move the jack. When I got it, that wasn't the case, goes up pretty quick with just a few presses.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, watching the videos I was thinking it sure was taking a long time to move the jack. When I got it, that wasn't the case, goes up pretty quick with just a few presses.
I've watched a handful of the videos... when they raise the Hayabusa in the "wheelie" position, the strap goes around the big pin at the bottom of the stand, and then around another pin - which does NOT look stock - on the 'busa's swingarm. Therefore the back end is held down while the lift raises the front end.
Does Abba provide a pin or strapping point to put on the swingarm of your bike, @Mellow?
That's really the only thing that I cannot figure out. Where did they get a pin to hold the back wheel down, while raising up the front wheel?
Thanks!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've watched a handful of the videos... when they raise the Hayabusa in the "wheelie" position, the strap goes around the big pin at the bottom of the stand, and then around another pin - which does NOT look stock - on the 'busa's swingarm. Therefore the back end is held down while the lift raises the front end.
Does Abba provide a pin or strapping point to put on the swingarm of your bike, @Mellow?
That's really the only thing that I cannot figure out. Where did they get a pin to hold the back wheel down, while raising up the front wheel?
Thanks!
Each bike is different. The final drive on the RT has a hole through it, the RT adapter includes a big plug to use with the lift.
1671057144728.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, @Mellow it makes sense.
The adapter / tie down pin likely comes specific with the adapter, per each bike model.
I didn't think of that.
But I still want one...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here's a pic of the lift stored against the wall fully assembled with the legs on:

IMG_20221209_180954.jpg

Here's one with the legs off in the same location:

IMG_20221209_155902.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You really didn't have to do that, Joe. I already said I know i want one.
(And the NoMar changer makes your garage look like a pro shop, too!)
When will you have us all over for a tech day?

Top Bottom