Actual reliability of the smaller or boutiquey brands

Bike
2008 ST1300
I often get an itch for a cool bike, and then get scared off by internet hearsay regarding catastrophic failures, leaks, seeps, gremlins, tricky maintenance, expensive/unavailable parts, etc.

I've always had a hankering for an air cooled Ducati Monster, and recently find myself attracted to the Aprilia Caponord 1200.

I've considered a BMW RT and K13 before, but stuck with Hondas for similar reasons.

I also always wanted a Speed Triple. I suspect newer Triumphs fall more Japanesey and less exotic on this spectrum though.

I once had a Buell XB, which was great and only had one failing: the neutral switch. Dealer had one on hand, $10.

Is the internet full of a few complainers parroting the same sob stories, or is owning one of these "cool" bikes truly an exercise in expensive frustration?

This is ONLY my opinion.

About 30 years ago (okay, maybe between 20-30 years ago), I was always thinking about how cool it would be to have the "awesome" machines.

Have had Porsches and Ducati's, etc ... for me, it was an "age" thing. I think back now, "geeeez, what a WASTE of cash...". Those days are loooong looooong looooong gone.

I do wish I had the '69 z-28 I bought in high school, though ...

TPadden

Tom Padden
I think owning ANY bike is an exercise in expensive frustration :)
The only thing I find frustrating and even depressing is reading threads like this. :(
Have had Porsches and Ducati's, etc ... for me, it was an "age" thing. I think back now, "geeeez, what a WASTE of cash...". Those days are loooong looooong looooong gone.
I have not had a mechanical "catastrophic" failure, or worried about one in at least 30 years. I have owned a bike or two that I found didn't really meet my needs but I have NEVER regretted buying any motorcycle. On the positive side, complainers make me feel very blessed that I'm still able to enjoy wasting cash and ride whatever and camp wherever I want. Those days are today and hopefully many tomorrows. :thumb:

Tom

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have not had a mechanical "catastrophic" failure, or worried about one in at least 30 years. I have owned a bike or two that I found didn't really meet my needs but I have NEVER regretted buying any motorcycle. On the positive side, complainers make me feel very blessed that I'm still able to enjoy wasting cash and ride whatever and camp wherever I want. Those days are today and hopefully many tomorrows. :thumb:

Tom
Says the man who has owned just about one of everything 'motorcycle' over time ... :biggrin:

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I also always wanted a Speed Triple. I suspect newer Triumphs fall more Japanesey and less exotic on this spectrum though.
I had a Triumph Daytona 955i, and loved the inline 3 cylinder engine, but at random times the electronic speedo would stop working. So, there is still enough British influence there apparently.

Bike
St1300PA
This is ONLY my opinion.

About 30 years ago (okay, maybe between 20-30 years ago), I was always thinking about how cool it would be to have the "awesome" machines.

I do wish I had the '69 z-28 I bought in high school, though ...
Wish I had my 69 z too

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have not once regretted buying each of the three BMWs I have owned Including the one I own and rode today. Have they been as reliable as my Hondas? No, not really. Have they been a pleasure to ride, more so than my Hondas? Absolutely.

“He played it safe his entire life“ will not be on my headstone.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I often get an itch for a cool bike, and then get scared off by internet hearsay regarding catastrophic failures, leaks, seeps, gremlins, tricky maintenance, expensive/unavailable parts, etc.

I've always had a hankering for an air cooled Ducati Monster, and recently find myself attracted to the Aprilia Caponord 1200.

I've considered a BMW RT and K13 before, but stuck with Hondas for similar reasons.

I once had a Buell XB, which was great and only had one failing: the neutral switch. Dealer had one on hand, $10.

Is the internet full of a few complainers parroting the same sob stories, or is owning one of these "cool" bikes truly an exercise in expensive frustration?
Known for the lowest cost of ownership.

1688446142794.png

Just go buy the sexiest bike you want, you can't take the money with you and they're still printing it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, the squeaky wheels gets greased....

I do visit forums before I consider any vehicle or bike. But, you have to take that with the assumption you'll hear a lot about problems but usually nothing from those that are happy w/no problems.

My rankings:

My R1250RT is my favorite all-around bike so far, I'll do my own maintenance and other than a recall it will never see a dealership. The boxer has some vibes but I actually like that, keeps me engaged with the bike vs a smooth engine if that makes any sense. The electronics all make sense and I don't really mess with anything once I start riding, other than turning on the heated grips/seat. I don't have to reset the trip meter as the miles-to-empty display is very accurate and resets once you fill up and ride off. The keyless ride is great to not have to mess with keys.

The Tracer 900GT was the most fun I've ever had, love the engine and how light that bike felt. Wind management sucks and had I been able to get that under control I might have kept it... I hate Yamaha fuel gauges but the speedometer was 1mph off. Nothing like a high revving motorcycle... wooohooo.

#3 a Tie
My Super Tenere and ST1300s were very equal to me... I know that sounds odd but each had plusses and minuses that cancelled each other out and it just equals a tie.
ST1300 - long range, smooth, agile - heavy
Super Tenere - ok range, not as smooth or agile but not bad at all, lighter and the ergos were more adjustable - gearing in the twisties was awkward.

#4 GL1800s
I had 2 - 2001 and 2005. They were great long distance bikes and probably the smoothest engines I've had to date.. but, they got heavy in a bunch of twisties, especially if they were in the 10-20 mph. My problem with wings and long distance is they are so smooth and you are disconnected from the ride that I would find myself nodding off on long highway stretches. Reverse was awesome and I do miss that.

#5 V-Strom 650
An ok bike, light and several features for a great price.
But, the alternator was weak and would struggle to support heated gloves and jacket. It had good-enough power and really good gas mileage but once you hit 70+ you'd think you had a hole in your tank.. at 80 mph speeds it was really bad.

Bikes I'd like to try..

The BMW K1600B - I don't care for the looks, specifically the saddlebags but, the low seating, reverse function and highway floorboards would make it a great long distance bike. I sat on one at FerrySTOC and you sit IN the bike vs most sport tourers where you feel like you sit ON the bike. It felt very comfortable but I've heard how smooth the engine is and that may actually be a negative - I know right - what's wrong with me? (don't answer that)

Triumph Tiger 1200
I really like what the new version of the Trophy provides. I can see this as a 2nd bike but I wonder if Yamaha will do anything with the Super Ten in the future as well.

Goldwing F6B
I prefer the non-trunk version of the Wing so I can use any top box and add lights to that up high a lot cheaper than what the wing-accessories would cost. But, again... a smooth engine isn't always very engaging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good conversation! Wasn't trying to blaspheme the Euro bikes. Some day I'd like to have a Monster, a Capo 1200, and a Speed triple. (I'm confident it won't be on the same day) If I hit the lotto I think I'd have about 10 bikes. I'd still have a Honda Sport tourer though, or probably two.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
As for exotics my son always wanted a Ducati, so his wife bought him one for a wedding present. a Ducati Monster 2009 I believe. Transmission locked up, electronics went out, leaks oil. He calls it his Italian Harley lol, but he won't get rid of it since it was a present from her. Hasn't ridden it in 2 years now. Shares the garage with a Yamaha MT-10 which he rides if he wants to go anywhere. It's been dead nuts reliable but has a board for a seat and gets terrible gas mileage. A lot of fun though, and that cross plane motor sounds great. I have 2 nephews that like Euro stuff.. mainly KTMs, Moto Guzzi's and a Husqvarna, however they never seem to keep them very long, always moving on to another. My doctor friend loves Euro bikes too, BMW, KTM, Ducati, but trades them out often, The only one he has kept is his BMW RT. He just got a V85 TT Guzzi, but doesn't ride it much.

Me I enjoy my Honda's and I put lots of miles on them. (Ave 302 days and 22,000 miles a year). Currently riding a CB 1100 that I have put 71,000 trouble free miles on and an NC 750X DCT I have put 31,000 trouble free miles on. I need reliable and trouble free because I am NO mechanic. Something goes wrong it costs me $125 an hour.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I owned a perfect 1984 Yamaha RZ350 with a fully kitted Toomey kit. The previous owner was a perfectionist who had a two page modification and maintenance list when I purchased it. Sold it around 1991 and wished It was still in the garage today. It was smokn’ fast and would wheelie at 50 mph when it was on the pipe. To this day, I wish it was still mine.

Fast forward to 2011……a friend of mine found two running RZ350s…one yellow and the other red/white/blue. He had a yellow one already and I bought the yellow RZ which lasted exactly 200 miles before the water pump plastic gear failed, overheated, and holed the right piston which trashed the crank. I paid $2900.00 for it running and did manage to sell it for $2400.00 as is. I have moved on from old bikes since then.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Top Bottom