Actual reliability of the smaller or boutiquey brands

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
What it really comes down to is can you afford to throw the money away, write it off, and never see it again. That is an extreme example as most any bike, boutiquey or not, will have some residual value that can be recouped. If your bills are paid, retirement funded, you have no other significant financial commitments, what is there to stop you? Its why we work, is it not? To enjoy the fruits of those labors? If all the other commitments are met, then "I want that!" is a perfectly reasonable justification. I doubt anyone ever said on their death bed, "wow, I wasted money on that..."

TPadden

Tom Padden
On the flip side, my experience is there is little difference in reliability (and even ownership costs) across the board with modern vehicles. :)

So called boutique brands like Ducati (owned by German automotive manufacturer Audi through its Italian subsidiary Lamborghini, which is in turn owned by the Volkswagen Group) all utilize modern automotive engineering, supply, and manufacturing processes. Customer satisfaction is now more a function of individual dealer service and support than manufacturer related - I have had only 2 warranty claims in the last 25 years; both were about 15 years ago and ethanol related (August 2005 — President George W. Bush signs the Energy Policy Act of 2005, requiring oil companies to add ethanol to their gasoline :mad:).

Tom

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
On the flip side, my experience is there is little difference in reliability (and even ownership costs) across the board with modern vehicles.
This would appear to be true, at least amongst the major manufacturers.
A recent consumer advocacy group report about automobile reliability stated that reliability should not even be a significant factor in the decision process of what car to buy if you are looking at any of the major manufacturers. This is because the differences between their reliability is so minor now. They basically stated to buy what you like, they all have about the same reliability now.

I would assume that the same would be true of all of the major motorcycle manufacturers as well since they are all employing the same basic best practices for the most part.

Bike
2000 ST1100
After reading some of you guy's post looks like i'm the odd one left out. First motorcycle owned was my 250 Kawasaki LTD then replaced by my 550 Kawasaki Spectre and my current ride my ST1100. Only owned 3 bikes in 42 years of riding. current ride has been the best one but my old 83 Kawasaki is not far behind.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
After reading some of you guy's post looks like i'm the odd one left out. First motorcycle owned was my 250 Kawasaki LTD then replaced by my 550 Kawasaki Spectre and my current ride my ST1100. Only owned 3 bikes in 42 years of riding. current ride has been the best one but my old 83 Kawasaki is not far behind.
Well, I've kinda got stuck on ST1100s ... ;)

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
What's common amongST us, is that we all love our motorcycles. There's been more than forty under my butt over the years. Nothing immoral about that, but if one were to treat women the same way, yikes... Currently, there's five in the garage here - bikes, not women. Preferred brand has always been Honda, although there have been diversions. Four Triumphs, two KLR's, a Tuono, I think about four Kawasaki's, other than KLR's. Had a couple of Moto-Guzzi's, although the last one got traded in toward a new BMW - RT. We'll see how that goes. Currently only about 1600 km on the odo, But next week, off to Ontario! That'll rack up some distance. Done it previously in comfort on the "18 Wing in one shot, but this'll be a new experience for me. Started this journey many years ago on a '66 Honda Dream 305, don't yet know where it'll end. Probably a downgrade to the Miata I bought last fall.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Had a couple of Moto-Guzzi's, although the last one got traded in toward a new BMW - RT. We'll see how that goes.
Did I miss something? What year model did you get?

Bike
Scrambler Ducati
I've owned all the Japanese brands. Loved them all. I was stranded by Honda and Suzuki.

Ducati Scrambler now because its light, quick and fits; and I love the thing. 57Kmi. Replaced clutch but never stranded. Only air cooled engine in my experience that doesn't burn ANY oil.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
New non-current 2022, lots of optional extras, but not radar enhanced cruise. The traditional cruise will suffice, I'm sure.
Cool, pics? Yeah the Adaptive is ok but I would have preferred it as an accessory vs pre-installed.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
New non-current 2022, lots of optional extras, but not radar enhanced cruise. The traditional cruise will suffice, I'm sure.
Not sure I would want that feature either. My car has adaptive cruise control and not sure I would like it on a bike. You are planning your path in your mind and the car sees a car ahead slowing and applies the brakes while you had planned a lane change, in a car not a big deal, I wonder if it could upset you while cornering on the bike. Hope you enjoy the new bike.

TPadden

Tom Padden
You are planning your path in your mind and the car sees a car ahead slowing and applies the brakes while you had planned a lane change, in a car not a big deal, I wonder if it could upset you while cornering on the bike.
Slick as snot on my Ducati V4S. Accelerates to set speed as soon as I even think about a lane change, plus and minus buttons adjust the cruise distance. Even slicker are the blind-side mirrors. Computer figures out if I'm being passed on either side, how far back and how fast vehicle is passing and warns appropriately. Didn't think I'd like it and once again I was right - I love it. :thumb:

If they put it on a Lambo Huracan (Lamborghini owns Ducati), they can certainly make it work on a bike. :cool:

Tom

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The triumph tiger 1200 gt has blind spot radar as well.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I HATE he adaptive cruise on my wife's Highlander.

Top Bottom