Actual reliability of the smaller or boutiquey brands

I talked to a guy that had a early FJR and asked him how he liked which of course he did, After talking to him he made the observation that he had owned BMWs, a Ducati and a couple of Triumphs along with several Japanese bikes and the Japanese never left him along side of the road.
What I have run into in the motor vehicle world is pretty basic is- If you don't really like the car or bike it will always be a piece of s.....t. If you like it- it will be wonderful no matter how much it costs or how long it spends in the shop.
For example a friend of mine bought a early R Nine TY (not sure about the spelling) and it was in the shop for a couple of weeks because of a float level problem waiting for parts. So he sold it, went through a few other rides....... Then bought another one cause he liked the 1st one.
I myself had a ZRX 1100, traded for my ST, my wife actually suggested we get another- so I did.
Sold the ST found it and bought it back too

TPadden

Tom Padden
My MV Turismo Veloce (438 lbs) also pretty much qualified as a boutique... my 69 Bonneville is the only bike I ever owned that left me stranded.

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I've had a handful of bikes, all Japanese except for a Buell and a Harley.

The only bikes that ever left me stranded were:

1. A TW200 from a broken chain (too much horsepower for its own good) had to get towed
2. An Intruder 1400 with a failed reg/rec. Coasted about a mile. Died at 80mph, was spooky. Got towed to work, new charged battery got me 53 miles home (was nervous)
3. An ST1300 with a flat tire, plugged but plug failed. Had to get towed.

I had to bend a few bikes back together after crashes, but they always got me home.

My HD products were hard starting but always ran good.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guys and gals, ST1300s have feet of clay. No motorcycle is perfect. An alternator failure stranded me on the side of the road. Loss of charge system is not commonplace but a quick search here reveals it’s not exactly a rare occurrence. Another electrical system issue gaining frequency as bikes age are gremlins from wonky ground circuits. And brakes…….. At least once a week someone new here is looking for answers to sticky or dragging rear brakes. If the ST wasn’t such a low volume seller in the USA I feel it would have had a NHTSA recall similar to the Goldwing.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I agree that all vehicles have potential faults, some more than others, and some simply related to maintenance. As for my bikes, sometimes I think about a replacement, but realize I mechanically (for the most part) know what I have and that prevents me from venturing out to get a different bike so that I have to learn a new set of variables (and they’re maintained well). As for cars, the same applies- I have a Cadillac SRX for example (2012) and the GM 3.6L was known to have timing chain stretch issues requiring a VERY expensive repair…that is, with prolonged oil change intervals. I change the oil every 5K miles and at near 120K miles it runs pretty much as new, so point is, maintenance is key.

Back to bikes for a sec, some bikes are more $$$ to maintain than others, so thus far, that’s why I haven’t ventured out for a more niche or exotic brand. Hondas work and work well- not without their quirks of course, but in the long term, they’re proven very reliable (as are other brands, but some will no doubt be more expensive or require specialized tools specific to the brand for repair/ maintenance)

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Guys and gals, ST1300s have feet of clay. No motorcycle is perfect. An alternator failure stranded me on the side of the road. Loss of charge system is not commonplace but a quick search here reveals it’s not exactly a rare occurrence. Another electrical system issue gaining frequency as bikes age are gremlins from wonky ground circuits. And brakes…….. At least once a week someone new here is looking for answers to sticky or dragging rear brakes. If the ST wasn’t such a low volume seller in the USA I feel it would have had a NHTSA recall similar to the Goldwing.
Just asking, what GW recall?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Kinda funny?... of all the bikes I've had and put over 50k miles on... only the '08 ST1300 had a major issue, a U-Joint failure which could be considered a a final drive related issue... of course, I know it's not the FINAL drive it's more the initial drive component from the transmission to the final drive. Nonetheless, it would, and has, contributed to major damages if not caught and if I still had an ST I'd pay close attention at the 50k mark and replace by 75k... I also replaced the rear wheel bearings every other tire change as that can surprise you as well.

It did make me very cautious looking at BMW due to their failures in the past. But, it seems the changes between the 1150 to 1200 and 1250 designs actually made them more like Honda final drives... so, I took the plunge. 16k miles so far and at the 24k check I'll take the final drive apart and look at any possible wear or water intrusion issues... most of those have been associated with GS bikes which makes sense.

Most difficult valve check/adjustment - Super Tenere - due to the cam shaft tensioner reset being difficult and all the stuff you have to do loosen to get the valve cover off.

Easiest valve check - R1250RT - no adjustment needed but is does need to be checked every 12k.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I had a Vstrom but wanted something a little more off road capable. Bought a KTM 790 Adventure R. Woohoo. That thing was a bit of a weapon. Way more capable than I was. Valve/cam issues at 12,000 miles. Virtually zero backup from dealer or factory. Took months to get the parts. Bike out of service for 8 months. Got it back on the road and rediscovered how much fun it was to ride but I just couldn't trust it and that significantly lessened the fun of it. Got rid of it.

Bought an Aprilia Tuareg 660. So far so good but it is still very new and I am still learning it. The best way to describe it "....it is kinder and gentler than the KTM...." I probably won't break as many bones with it as I did with the KTM! And the Italians sure know how to style things. It is a pretty bike IMO.
IMG_20210929_115039.jpg
IMG_20230702_094226 web.jpg

I still have the ST and the Blackbird. Doubt I will ever get rid of those. The ST when you just have to get somewhere and know it will get you there and the BB.....well, it is a BB, so not much else needs to be said.
BB Canmore.jpeg

Last edited:
STOC #
I have the perfect pair. ‘06 ST that introduced me to touring and a ‘16 Tuono Factory that redefined sport motorcycling for me. The Tuono has been perfect, gas, oil and tires. When I say oil and tires, it’s at the same time. I don’t get much more than 3k miles out of a set of Supercorsas, but oh what fun.
Couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
unfortunately, KTM and Aprilia are not even on the list
The fact that neither are mentioned in a CR article would certainly put them in the boutique class IMO.
The CR article is more than 8 years old and it does have its detractors (go figure).

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have left the Japanese world for about half my bikes, to include a Norton 850 Commando Interstate (many issues, relating to starting and Lucas electrics), BMW (650 singles, twice) and KTM (one recall for the stator.)
My first-year Blackbird puked it's regulator/rectifier and left me stranded on an out-of-state ride. This was known to early 1100XX's and VFR's.
Like @Mellow I have some reservations about the BMW 1250 GSA, due to all the electronic tech on that thing, but the GS's remain bestsellers in the adventure bike market. Looking forward to bringing that one home.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Most Reliable Motorcycle Brands – Motorcycle Reliability by Brand & the Most Dependable Motorcycles Ever (funtransport.com)

unfortunately, KTM and Aprilia are not even on the list

If you read the WHOLE article it's a pretty good and thoughtful piece and KTM is mentioned near the end.
Besides the pitiful sample size and self-reporting of repairs is there anything else to warn a critical reader the article is little more than entertaining bias confirmation?

I have 4 bikes, a KLR,ZRX 1200, Concours 1400 and the St. You can't kill a KLR unless you try, I did have 2 flats at the same time once. the ZRX is pretty much bullet proof although it does have things to watch out for. Maintenance is fairly easy and uncomplicated.
The 04 ST is much more involved because of it is more complicated, Its maintenance is needed more because of its mileage 126000.
Then comes the Connie, working on that bike is a exercise in tediousness and flat pain in the ass, took almost 2 days to adjust the valves. On the ZRX you van slide the rockers over to add shims. Not so on the Connie, the cams really do need to come out and getting to them is insane.
But since I like them it is worth all of it.
The KLR gets me into the logging roads for awesome views
The ZRX is soooo much fun for day trips
The Connie is great for speed and trips alone, I did take it out for a 7000 mile trip but being on the sport end of the sport touring it was a pull over , stretch your legs a rub your butt frequently.
The ST is incomparable to long 2 up long trips, we tried a Goldwing and my passenger (wife) did not like it, so that had to go. The ST was more comfortable.
They each have different uses and none have left me stranded except for the flats and that can happen on anything, although I was able to ride it out to the freeway to be picked up, about ten fifteen miles.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Besides the pitiful sample size and self-reporting of repairs is there anything else to warn a critical reader the article is little more than entertaining bias confirmation?
Do you have a larger sampling of verified reliabilty reports? Got to go by something.

It has more value than asking about reliability on a motorcycle forum I would think with a sampling of what 25 people?

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you have a larger sampling of verified reliabilty reports? Got to go by something.

It has more value than asking about reliability on a motorcycle forum I would think with a sampling of what 25 people?
Depends on your definition of value I guess.

Top Bottom