Add a TPMS to my ST

Bike
2014 ST1300a
IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0358.jpg

buy a TPMS from Taobao, 55$,
two sensor, and a monitor, show you the pressure and temperature of two tire. very easy to install.

there is a question: can not read under sunshine.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wow that's pretty cheap for a TPMS with a display. A little surprising it can't be read in direct sunshine though.

I use the FOBO with very similar senders for the valve stems and the display is on the phone. I can hear the alerts through my Sena headset.

Since I've never used a TPMS before this is an improvement. I just want to know my tire pressure in the morning before I ride.

I like the idea of a display on the bike and prefer the FOBO-type screw-on sensors with replaceable batteries.

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I wouldn't recommend continuing using the TPMS unit with the rubber valve stem. Switch over to a metal valve stem.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Wow that's pretty cheap for a TPMS with a display. A little surprising it can't be read in direct sunshine though.

I use the FOBO with very similar senders for the valve stems and the display is on the phone. I can hear the alerts through my Sena headset.

Since I've never used a TPMS before this is an improvement. I just want to know my tire pressure in the morning before I ride.

I like the idea of a display on the bike and prefer the FOBO-type screw-on sensors with replaceable batteries.

I saw the bluetooth TPMS in Taobao, but it is not as convenient as this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
I wouldn't recommend continuing using the TPMS unit with the rubber valve stem. Switch over to a metal valve stem.
you reminded me, thank you very much.

I have two car and one ST, 10 wheel are all with the TPMS on it, and they are all rubber valve stem, I should find metal valve stem to replace.

but it is difficult to replace ST's valve stem.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I saw the bluetooth TPMS in Taobao, but it is not as onvenient as this one.
I strongly disagree with the caveat that I always use my Sena and ear buds when I ride. There is NOTHING that beats an audible warning (loud klaxon like a diving submarine :D) with app visual checks before and after riding. I'm completely satisfied using FOBO ($99) with cell, I've used both iPhone and Android apps, and Sena bluetooth for convenience and practicality. My Fobo also came with metal short valve stems for those that need to install them.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/fobo-bike-tpms-review/

https://www.amazon.com/FOBO-FB1574-Bike-Black/dp/B00YCAVGMK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_bs_t_1/146-7468924-9404310?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PKNP4QKYJDZ39VBMSNSF
Tom

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Re the display,, I assume it is battery powered,,, with auto on/off ?? Is it back-lit ?? What is the height, width and thickness. I would be interested in mounting it flat,, as opposed to using the included handlebar mount. Thx,, Cat'

buy a TPMS from Taobao, 55$,
two sensor, and a monitor, show you the pressure and temperature of two tire. very easy to install.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Re the display,, I assume it is battery powered,,, with auto on/off ?? Is it back-lit ?? What is the height, width and thickness. I would be interested in mounting it flat,, as opposed to using the included handlebar mount. Thx,, Cat'
Yes, it is battery powered, and has a USB interface, I plug the usb wire before ride, and unplug it after ride.
it is auto on/off, needn't press any key.
it is back-lit, but hard to read under sunshine.
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.28.13.jpgI mount it with this. you can stick it anywhere.

IMG_0386(20180313-103545).jpg

do you still want to know the height,width,and thickness??

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
do you still want to know the height,width,and thickness??
Sure,,, no rush though. It seems to come in its own special holder ?? Is that so it can be removed during rain ?? I was looking for a display that I could stick over the vacant lower right quadrant of the speedo. No rush,,, thx,, Cat'

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
I strongly disagree with the caveat that I always use my Sena and ear buds when I ride. There is NOTHING that beats an audible warning (loud klaxon like a diving submarine :D) with app visual checks before and after riding. ....
Tom
But you can not read the pressure and tempreture when ride. if you tire was nailed when riding, you would not know until the pressure is too low to warning you through the earbuds. it is not as quick as I wish.

remember the number before ride, and the pressure and tempreture should increase when ride, if it start to decrease, you should check the tire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Sure,,, no rush though. It seems to come in its own special holder ?? Is that so it can be removed during rain ?? I was looking for a display that I could stick over the vacant lower right quadrant of the speedo. No rush,,, thx,, Cat'
It is a common gimbal stand for mount the camera.
why removed during rain?? it should be waterproof. if you wish, sure you can remove it easily.
I will tell you the dimension tomorrow.

I have a question: you really want to buy this item from Taobao china? the ship may cost a lot.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have a question: you really want to buy this item from Taobao china? the ship may cost a lot.
It is startling how little it costs for some items to ship from China. I presume the manufacture and shipping are heavily subsidized. Anyway,, the shipping charges are always spelled out as part of the payment process. btw,, is the only function of the usb cable to charge the display units battery ?? Cat'

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
It is startling how little it costs for some items to ship from China. I presume the manufacture and shipping are heavily subsidized. Anyway,, the shipping charges are always spelled out as part of the payment process. btw,, is the only function of the usb cable to charge the display units battery ?? Cat'
although I did not plug it to my computer yet. Yes, I think the only function of the usb cable is to charge the display units battery.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Sure you can if you want to look at your phone, my phone is waterproof and I have a ram mount ...... but I don't want to look at it. You can set whatever tire pressure you want for the alarms to go off ..... as far as a quick warning - there's a reason radar detectors have audible warnings. Besides, I thought your complaint was not being able to see your display anyway :potstir1:. It's not a "mine is better than yours" contest, we just have different preferences.
sure I am not contest with you. I just want you know, before I buy mine, I did compare these two kind of TPMS.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Wow, have I got a deal for you guys. Around $45.oo, on eBay. I copied this because I believe it covers everything this post asked about. I've been using one for over a year.
1.Special for motorcycle with 2 sensors
2.Pressure range: 0-4.5Bar / 0-65PSI
3.Waterproof and dustproof display
4.Two ways for display mounting (clip on handle or stick on dash)
5.Replaceable sensor battery with CR1632
6.The weight of sensor is only 9.6g, there is no tire balance needed after installation
7.Flexible sensor installation/relocation (without hassles or any breakdown of tires)
8.Sensor preset in factory, no pairing is needed
9.Green tire indicator lights up every 2 seconds to show the real-time tire pressure of corresponding tire
10.Self-testing for each power on
11.End users can set the threshold of tire pressure & temperature
12.Convertible pressure (PSI / Bar)
13.Visual and audible warning
14.Tire indicator turns red with corresponding tire data once abnormal tire data detected
15.The display brightness will be reduced 25s after each power-on/pressing SET power button for power saving

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Why? I've haven't heard that before.
Theoretical fatigue on the rubber stem. That being said, many (including me) have run external TPMS sensors on rubber stems for many thousands of miles. Although, I now have 90° metal stems, for the TPMS and for easier access.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think those are actually 87º but most often referred to as 90º stems. I had a pair on my previous bike and liked them.

But when I got the FOBO units I ordered a pair of their T-valves so I can fill the tire without removing the sensor:

This shows the 8mm stem but an 11.3mm version is available for the ST and other bikes.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS

They also sell a short metal stem that's looks to be 13-4mm tall (from rim to top of stem).

I'm running the rubber stems until the next tire change. Maybe I'll put a little duct tape or Surgu around them to dampen vibration until then.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I will not use any TPMS with sensors that live outside the wheel, either on rubber or metal valve stems. The integrity of the Schrader valve is compromised, not good.

Top Bottom