Add a TPMS to my ST

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I think those are actually 87º but most often referred to as 90º stems. I had a pair on my previous bike and liked them.

But when I got the FOBO units I ordered a pair of their T-valves so I can fill the tire without removing the sensor:

This shows the 8mm stem but an 11.3mm version is available for the ST and other bikes.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS

They also sell a short metal stem that's looks to be 13-4mm tall (from rim to top of stem).

I'm running the rubber stems until the next tire change. Maybe I'll put a little duct tape or Surgu around them to dampen vibration until then.
Great idea, thank you. Just ordered mine. $12 each plus $6 shipping to Calif.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just ordered mine. $12 each plus $6 shipping to Calif.
I did too in the wee hours of this morning. These valves are smaller and lighter than the ones I have now.

The T-valve illustrated fits both 8mm and 13.5mm rims with the fitment of different (included) grommets and an o-ring. The site has installation illustrations for both sizes.

OP
OP
robinyu
Bike
2014 ST1300a
Re the display,, I assume it is battery powered,,, with auto on/off ?? Is it back-lit ?? What is the height, width and thickness. I would be interested in mounting it flat,, as opposed to using the included handlebar mount. Thx,, Cat'
it's width:55mm height:50mm thickness:25mm

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Re the display,, I assume it is battery powered,,, with auto on/off ?? Is it back-lit ?? What is the height, width and thickness. I would be interested in mounting it flat,, as opposed to using the included handlebar mount. Thx,, Cat'
The TPMS in post 16 is powered by the bike with auto off & on. And back lit.

Bike
03 ST1300A
I'm thinking of putting the bluetooth internal TPMS made for cars in my ST, they came in four in a set, pretty cheap, only down side is the base is tilted, I'm not sure if it wil work well. One thing for sure is it will affect clearance for taking off or putting on tires.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'm thinking of putting the bluetooth internal TPMS made for cars in my ST, they came in four in a set, pretty cheap, only down side is the base is tilted.
Where are you getting it from? Would like an internal set for my trailers.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think those are actually 87º but most often referred to as 90º stems. I had a pair on my previous bike and liked them.

But when I got the FOBO units I ordered a pair of their T-valves so I can fill the tire without removing the sensor:

This shows the 8mm stem but an 11.3mm version is available for the ST and other bikes.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS

They also sell a short metal stem that's looks to be 13-4mm tall (from rim to top of stem).

I'm running the rubber stems until the next tire change. Maybe I'll put a little duct tape or Surgu around them to dampen vibration until then.
Now, that's interesting.

I have a sensor set that connects to the valve, but because I use the 90degree, the sensors don't work right. With this, I could use the sensors and still be able to put air in my tires when I need to! I just might order a couple of sets! :D

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Now, that's interesting.

I have a sensor set that connects to the valve, but because I use the 90degree, the sensors don't work right. With this, I could use the sensors and still be able to put air in my tires when I need to! I just might order a couple of sets! :D
My exact thoughts, plus maybe getting a good lock down on the TPMS.
Probably a thief will steal the valves too with my luck lol. #only money

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My exact thoughts, plus maybe getting a good lock down on the TPMS.
Probably a thief will steal the valves too with my luck lol. #only money
Hawkshead TPMS comes with locking nuts that are an odd size and require their special tool to loosen them. I supposed someone with visegrips or pliers and some time could eventually remove the caps. ;-)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
awkshead TPMS comes with locking nuts that are an odd size and require their special tool to loosen them.
Or just give the sensor a good hard turn and it'll come off leaving the lock nut right where it was.

A thief wouldn't know this but at least on the FOBO units they sensors are useless if stolen. When you pair it with your phone it registers the serial number. If you never unpair it with your phone because it disappeared... it won;t be allowed to register again.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Or just give the sensor a good hard turn and it'll come off leaving the lock nut right where it was.

A thief wouldn't know this but at least on the FOBO units they sensors are useless if stolen. When you pair it with your phone it registers the serial number. If you never unpair it with your phone because it disappeared... it won;t be allowed to register again.
That might be a little harder to do than you think... ;-)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
A thief wouldn't know this but at least on the FOBO units they sensors are useless if stolen.
That was one of the reason I went with the FOBO. I'd be out the sensors but there'd be some small satisfaction knowing that the thief can't use them.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That was one of the reason I went with the FOBO. I'd be out the sensors but there'd be some small satisfaction knowing that the thief can't use them.
The Hawksheads sensors pair with the head via Bluetooth so they would have to have the Hawkshead 'brain' and know the sequence to get the head to recognize them. ;-)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No, not really. I did it when I needed to add air and didn't have the special wrench with me. The locknut is on small threads, not that much torque can be applied.
I think it may depend on how tight you tighten the nut. I have mine pretty tight but it doesn't matter. A thief has nothing but time and energy. :D

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I like!!
If they don't work for your bike wheels, with the tilt, let me know. I'll buy them off of ya and try them for my trailer. Not sure if they would work on my trailer wheels either so I don't want to invest full money up front.

I will not use any TPMS with sensors that live outside the wheel, either on rubber or metal valve stems. The integrity of the Schrader valve is compromised, not good.
The comments about loss of integrity of the Schrader valve/valve core are good. The T valve is good as an extension of the valve stem.
My main concern is the balance of the tire. There was a comment that by just putting the valve caps with the sensors didn't require tire balancing. Any validation?

Top Bottom