Aero-Seal water hose clamps

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am planning to replace the water hoses and the clamps going to the water joint (on the top of the alternator).
Somebody on the forum mentioned some Aero-Seal clamps for the job and I can't find the post anymore...
What are the 2 sizes that I need to purchase?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Gates also makes constant tension clamps. A variety are available from McMaster-Carr.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Thank you for the link, appreciated!
The clamp size specified by Honda is 22-29MM, roughly 3/4 to 1 inches, if I am not wrong.
I wasn't able to find the corresponding size on the linked Gates website.
I am wondering about how much spread must be added to the size of the hose itself?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thank you for the link, appreciated!
The clamp size specified by Honda is 22-29MM, roughly 3/4 to 1 inches, if I am not wrong.
I wasn't able to find the corresponding size on the linked Gates website.
I am wondering about how much spread must be added to the size of the hose itself?
See the below thread for the sizes. Note the comments from @SupraSabre that the gates clamps do not work well on the smaller diameter hoses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
See the below thread for the sizes. Note the comments from @SupraSabre that the gates clamps do not work well on the smaller diameter hoses.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for!

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
This last fall I started noticing some coolant drippage so I dug into things. Of course, the bike started to drip less than a mile after brimming the fuel tank, and my work schedule insisted a "now or never" sort of timing. I managed to do almost everything through the front. There was a good bit of corrosion on various pipes, but after many hours of slow, painstaking, and laborious (but easy-going -- I'm not in a hurry) effort everything was cleaned up, parts delivered, etc.

I used constant tension clamps like this -=> https://belmetric.com/clamps/constant-tension/ and I'm very happy with them.
A bit of sil-glyde to put 'em on, on clean aluminum, and no drips or leaks or anything. I have zero worries.
The water pump cover had accumulated large quantities of dirt and little rocks and stuff, and wasn't passing liquid through properly. I also flushed the "V" and the water pump cover thoroughly, and very, very carefully cleaned the water pump cover mating surfaces. I would much rather take 3 times as long and not be hurried and get it perfect than rush the job and regret it later.

The only hoses I did not replace (but ordered) were some of the hoses you can really only get to from the top. Otherwise I did 'em all.
New Honda automotive Type II coolant and a thousand or so miles later not a hint of trouble.

Now I wish I'd not put the bikes away in early November, although tonight calls for an inch or two of snow.

I also ordered some of those fancy hybrid spring/screw clamps, but they are giant and I didn't like 'em. Throughout the automotive industry, OEMs use constant tension clamps on almost all of the cooling system. If it's good enough for the eleven zillion vehicles sold each year it ought to be good enough for me.

Addendum: I ordered the multi-pack *and* some specific sizes. I calculated very carefully the desired clamp size based on both the outer diameter of the item being clamped (incl. hose), some 'squish', and I found a look-up table online for host diameter <-> constant tension clamp size.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Addendum: I ordered the multi-pack *and* some specific sizes. I calculated very carefully the desired clamp size based on both the outer diameter of the item being clamped (incl. hose), some 'squish', and I found a look-up table online for host diameter <-> constant tension clamp size.
By "Multi-pack" do you mean the $99.00 box?
Also did you order the "low profile" one or the standard?
They are much cheaper than the aero-seal (+/-$8.00) and now I am also considering replacing all the clamps on the cooling hoses.
Is asking you all the size you ordered is too much?
Thank you!

Last edited:

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Yes, bought the multi pack and 4 of CTC32BAND12. I can't check right now but I can take an inventory of what I actually used as well. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

An edit:. I definitely think that the specialized pliers and other tools are worth it. Let me see if I can find the ones that I used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Yes, bought the multi pack and 4 of CTC32BAND12. I can't check right now but I can take an inventory of what I actually used as well. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

An edit:. I definitely think that the specialized pliers and other tools are worth it. Let me see if I can find the ones that I used.
That would be great, thank you again!

I'm about to take your same journey any and all information would be appreciated
This information would be helpful Thank you !!!!!!
some specific sizes. I calculated very carefully the desired clamp size based on both the outer diameter of the item being clamped (incl. hose), some 'squish', and I found a look-up table online for host diameter <-> constant tension clamp size ???????

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I wouldn't rely on my information because I didn't do all the hoses. I ordered a _complete_ set of hoses but still have these left over:

19513-MCS-000
19505-MCS-010
19861-MK7-000 (t-pipe)
19508-MCS-010
19512-MCS-000
19522-MZ8-H00
19507-MCS-000

My recollection is that I did all of the hoses from the manifold pipes forward, both rad hoses, etc. The "big" hoses.
I believe (in addition to the 4x 32mm clamps), I used:
4x 27mm
2x20mm
and 1x13.5mm (I might have just lost this one....).

As I said before, the next time I have the fuel tank propped for a throttle body sync, etc. I'll take care of the remaining hoses (or, I'll try to).

I don't know what sizes I'll need for the hoses listed above, as the ones I needed to replace were the ones that come off the manifold to the thermostat housing and the "big" radiator hoses.
To be honest, I tend to overbuy. I'll use many of these clamps sooner or later, but probably not on the ST.

Over the last <N> years, I've bought a number of different hose clamp pliers. I have one of the "flexible" ones that I use the most often, but I also bought some others. I probably even used a long needle-nosed pliers at one point, but while the "flexible" ones can be cumbersome to use at times they are also the most, uh, flexible, in terms of when and how you use them.

OP
OP
Sidekick

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I wouldn't rely on my information because I didn't do all the hoses. I ordered a _complete_ set of hoses but still have these left over:

19513-MCS-000
19505-MCS-010
19861-MK7-000 (t-pipe)
19508-MCS-010
19512-MCS-000
19522-MZ8-H00
19507-MCS-000

My recollection is that I did all of the hoses from the manifold pipes forward, both rad hoses, etc. The "big" hoses.
I believe (in addition to the 4x 32mm clamps), I used:
4x 27mm
2x20mm
and 1x13.5mm (I might have just lost this one....).

As I said before, the next time I have the fuel tank propped for a throttle body sync, etc. I'll take care of the remaining hoses (or, I'll try to).

I don't know what sizes I'll need for the hoses listed above, as the ones I needed to replace were the ones that come off the manifold to the thermostat housing and the "big" radiator hoses.
To be honest, I tend to overbuy. I'll use many of these clamps sooner or later, but probably not on the ST.

Over the last <N> years, I've bought a number of different hose clamp pliers. I have one of the "flexible" ones that I use the most often, but I also bought some others. I probably even used a long needle-nosed pliers at one point, but while the "flexible" ones can be cumbersome to use at times they are also the most, uh, flexible, in terms of when and how you use them.
Wonderful, thank you so much.
All the information needed for the job, you are saving me a lot of time!.

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Wonderful, thank you so much.
All the information needed for the job, you are saving me a lot of time!.
As I said before, this is only partial info. I used one of the many parts ordering sites to laboriously order all of the hoses I might need, a bunch of which are not listed above (those are just the ones I *haven't* installed yet). I don't have my notes any more, but I tend to be very methodical with this sort of thing. I wish I had kept those notes.

Top Bottom