And we wonder why motorcyclers have a bad rep...

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
This happened on my drive from Montreal to NYC. I was on NY's Taconic Parkway, joining I-84E:

I didn't even notice them until the first bike passed me. To be honest, I was in the last hour of a 7-hour ride and probably was not paying attention enough to what was behind me. Also, I was concentrating on joining the left-side traffic as I was trying to make the exit.

People, cagers, see stuff like this and it just makes the rest of us look bad.

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Just thought I'd share. For my type of riding ( I sometimes ride with a very aggressive group ), these riders (in video) provided ample warning they were most likely gonna pass. I have no issue with them. However, two months ago, my dumbass group were riding hard at night. I was considering lane changing to the left, viewed my mirror, abruptly a harley rider blew by me right next to my left hand grip! F*ck! I looked for him at our designated stop/event. No where to be found. We all have our different comfort levels. I'm glad you ended up safe to ride again. In California, there is so much bad rider/cager driving that I always expect the worst everywhere. Happy riding. Very pretty there :).....Rick

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
One of my motor officer friends used to scare the crap out of me once in a while by reaching over and gently applying my front brake just enough to cause my front end to dive down, thus taking my attention off of him cutting to the left in front of me.
While I have to admit, it did work, because if I'd have seen what he was doing, and tried to avoid it, I would have probably crashed, but with riding friends like that, who needs to worry about sport bike riders :rofl1:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I would have had issue also with another biker passing me in the same lane like that. You're right, others are watching that behaviour and think we're all like that. At least wait until the lane is clear..

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
these riders (in video) provided ample warning they were most likely gonna pass.
They did? Horns? Flashing lights? I didn't see any indication except maybe the following closer than safe. "" isn't smart riding nor an indication of anything. Well except for poor judgement.

True enough but mainly because so many people prefer to stereotype instead of using basic common sense and maintaining objectivity. It suits their various agendas. Jumping to conclusions is a national pastime. Maybe even international.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
A similar thing happened to me, too, while I was on my bike, legally passing a car around a gentle right-hand curve. The road was only one lane each way, so I was concentrating on the view ahead since I was in the opposing direction's lane.

A guy on a loud bike passed me on the left side as I was passing the car on its left side. He was going so fast I had no idea he was even there until I heard the exhaust as it passed me. That was quite startling.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
One of my motor officer friends used to scare the crap out of me once in a while by reaching over and gently applying my front brake just enough to cause my front end to dive down, thus taking my attention off of him cutting to the left in front of me.
We used to do that by reaching over and flipping the other guy's ignition kill switch.

While I have to admit, it did work, because if I'd have seen what he was doing, and tried to avoid it, I would have probably crashed, but with riding friends like that, who needs to worry about sport bike riders :rofl1:
With friends like us, who needs enemas? :biggrin:

Bike
2010 ST1300
One of my motor officer friends used to scare the crap out of me once in a while by reaching over and gently applying my front brake
We used to do that by reaching over and flipping the other guy's ignition kill switch.
It seems to me, if you were situationally aware of someone moving up on your right close enough to hit your kill switch or brake lever (unless, of course, they were built like a chimp and drag their knuckles on the ground) you would have drifted left or accelerated or deaccel to give them more room. And, what would these jovial fellows say were you to have an accident as a result of these shenanigans?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I'd say viewing the video, that he certainly wasn't "parked in the passing lane" as you'll notice he is passing cars in the right lane at a rapid pace. If he didnt give them permission by waving them through, I'd say the sport riders committed an illegal/bad pass.

Bike
R1200rt
This happened on my drive from Montreal to NYC. I was on NY's Taconic Parkway, joining I-84E:

I didn't even notice them until the first bike passed me. To be honest, I was in the last hour of a 7-hour ride and probably was not paying attention enough to what was behind me. Also, I was concentrating on joining the left-side traffic as I was trying to make the exit.

sorry bout that :rofl1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A few years ago some of us were at 737Captain's place for a tech day. When we were done with bikes there was still a couple hours of daylight and Skipcurt and I went for a late afternoon ride north along the Gulf, up towards Weekee Wachee. After an hour or so we headed east to the Suncoast Parkway to beat feet back to New Port Richey. The Suncoast would be much quicker back to 737's place. On the way east to the Parkway the road was busy with traffic and a loud V-twin came up behind us weaving through traffic. The two up couple passed Skip and I in our own lane like the riders in the video. We caught up with them at the last traffic light before the Suncoast entrance ramp. I pulled up next to the couple. With a smile I said " Beautiful bike, what a nice day for a sunset ride." They smiled back and agreed. Then I said "You don't know me well enough to pass my in my own lane pal." His smile turned to a sneer and he let me have a few choice MF words. While he was cussing me the light changed and he had to get out of neutral and find first gear. We stopped in gear so Skip and I took off and left him there cursing us and fishing for 1st. He caught up and roared by me a second time again in my lane and this time flipping me off. He wasn't good at judging the traffic and got caught up in a lane of slower traffic while Skip and I flashed by him. By then the toll booths were just ahead and the three of us stopped in the same lane with Skip just behind me and the V-twin behind us. I stopped first and handed the attendant enough to pay all three tolls, saying "tell the guy on the loud bike we paid his toll for him." We never saw him again and had a pleasant ride back.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'm surprised that anyone is ok with these riders passing in the same lane. Life and limb is not worth the risk.

If they had waited just a few moments, they would have had the the lane to themselves. And it's not like the OP was a left-lane hugger. I hate when people do that, but even then, passing in the same lane is taking needless risks for both riders.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Not that it happens often, but I usually get out of the lane if someone comes up behind me at a faster rate. It seems to be the nice thing to do. Plus, it'll keep them from getting frustrated and doing something stupid to get by. That could easily involve my undesired participation. There seemed to be several opportunities to tuck in behind/in front of one of the cars in the right lane.

Let 'em go! Don't let someone else give you a bad day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nexus
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Just thought I'd share. For my type of riding ( I sometimes ride with a very aggressive group ), these riders (in video) provided ample warning they were most likely gonna pass.
They gave no indication that they were going to pass. I, generally, also sit in the opposite side of the lane when I come up to another driver. Not because I want to pass in that part of the lane, but because it gives me extra asphalt to stop in an emergency. Admittedly, I was not fixated on my rearview mirrors as I was concentrated on finding a place to merge right to get to my exit. But why should I assume someone will use half of my lane to pass? I wouldn't be ok with a car deciding to use half of my lane either.
That wasn't so bad... to me looks like they hung back to make sure you noticed them and then you moved to the right which probably looked like you making room for them to get by.
Again I didn't notice them. As is evident by the fact that I was moving back to the left as the first guy was passing me.
Quit parking in the passing lane. Then they can easily pass....
I was not "parked" in the passing lane as I was passing traffic.
But do they? If you see one aggressive car driver do you think all car drivers are the same? Probably not.
We all have our own comfort zone with speed, riding style, etc. We will not agree on that. Never.
Nope, I don't assume all drivers are bad because I see one, or two, or three aggressive drivers per outing. But I also drive 4-wheeled vehicles. The general public does not ride on two (or three) wheels. Don't ask "why?" when politicians make ridiculous laws aimed at motorcycles.

Here is my main issue: I did not know he was passing until he was beside me. I tend to stay on the "inner" track, "forcing" cars to treat me as a full-size vehicle giving me an option when they don't. Had I had to move back to the left side (pothole, debris, car moving into my lane, etc) this video would likely have been used for a very different purpose. Out of respect to the other rider, or safety for that matter, I have never passed a motorcycle, or any vehicle, until I was sure he had completed his lane change maneuver.

Honestly, If these guys wanted to speed off at 150 mph, or some other reckless behavior, I really don't care. As long as they don't endanger other people. By doing this illegal maneuver, they decided to increase my risk without my consent.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A few years ago some of us were at 737Captain's place for a tech day. When we were done with bikes there was still a couple hours of daylight and Skipcurt and I went for a late afternoon ride north along the Gulf, up towards Weekee Wachee. After an hour or so we headed east to the Suncoast Parkway to beat feet back to New Port Richey. The Suncoast would be much quicker back to 737's place. On the way east to the Parkway the road was busy with traffic and a loud V-twin came up behind us weaving through traffic. The two up couple passed Skip and I in our own lane like the riders in the video. We caught up with them at the last traffic light before the Suncoast entrance ramp. I pulled up next to the couple. With a smile I said " Beautiful bike, what a nice day for a sunset ride." They smiled back and agreed. Then I said "You don't know me well enough to pass my in my own lane pal." His smile turned to a sneer and he let me have a few choice MF words. While he was cussing me the light changed and he had to get out of neutral and find first gear. We stopped in gear so Skip and I took off and left him there cursing us and fishing for 1st. He caught up and roared by me a second time again in my lane and this time flipping me off. He wasn't good at judging the traffic and got caught up in a lane of slower traffic while Skip and I flashed by him. By then the toll booths were just ahead and the three of us stopped in the same lane with Skip just behind me and the V-twin behind us. I stopped first and handed the attendant enough to pay all three tolls, saying "tell the guy on the loud bike we paid his toll for him." We never saw him again and had a pleasant ride back.
Sounds like this guy wasn't wearing a cut off, or colors, or more than likely he would have just kicked you off your bike for that comment.
If you were to do something like that to someone in formation, they more than likely would have chased you down and educated you on biker conduct, and paying their toll would not have made a bit of difference.
You should be more careful, and respectful to folks you don't know....specially in the Gunshine state.

Top Bottom