And we wonder why motorcyclers have a bad rep...

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
We agree then, you're not a pylon. :cool:. We also probably agree that if we didn't agree about " first opportunity" I'd probably be your yahoo. ;)

Tom
In which case, don't be surprised if this pylon makes a sharp weave to the left and puts you in the shoulder. I deserve the same respect and space as if I was driving a car or a semi even.

Chris

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Our sportbike club did semiannual trips to Suches in North Georgia, in the spring and the fall. It was a good group, up to 50 making the trip at our peak membership (about 5 hours from Birmingham.)
Some riders wanted to get there yesterday, some were "we don't piddle", and some were "We'll see you when we get there", so we often had 3 smaller sub-groups leaving, based on preference.
All of us were good enough, and knew each other well enough to ride staggered with the 2-second following distance on the freeway and straight roads, but fell into single file in curves.
It's unusual to be among such predictable riders in a group that size, in stark contrast to most charity rides with hundreds of bikes. THAT can be nerve wracking, and I rarely do that.
For motor scouts, they are highly trained compared to most people riding, so parallel works for them. Most cruiser clubs I've seen are sloppy and dangerous riding sids by side.
I'm going long, but one thing not seen in these comments is signaling.
The overtaking rider should consider flashing their headlight if they must pass, and likewise the slower rider could signal Wait, Slow, or Pass on by with their left hand and arm.
Communicating your intent in traffic is taught in the Basic RiderCourse.

TPadden

Tom Padden
In which case, don't be surprised if this pylon makes a sharp weave to the left and puts you in the shoulder. I deserve the same respect and space as if I was driving a car or a semi even.

Chris
Chris,

Visiting hours are over, time for your meds. :rofl1:

Mom

Bike
2000 ST1100
Got my version today of and we wonder why. Had a bunch of Idiots on their Harleys with the exhaust loud enough to wake the dead. Music systems crank up to full decibles. I guess I must be an old codger cause I sure as hell didn't think that was cool:well1:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
From the comments it appears we have some who regard a motorcycle ...(Q: do you even have a motorcycle endorsement?)... anyway, a motorcycle as a license to ride as fast as they can. I didn't notice that in the fine print when I got my license. Must've missed it.

Then there's others who obviously object strenuously to having someone intrude on their space. They feel someone else isn't just riding their own ride, but are taking their life in danger without asking permission.

It would seem like those that want to treat the public highways as their private race course should go to a private race course. And acknowledge that others have a right to be on the road too.

It'd be "interesting" to see the reaction of two riders if they were heading to the same STOC rally. Where one got blown off the road, even though they were keeping up with the traffic in their lane...and the other treated them like crap. Would they give each other a hug and buy each other a beer? I doubt it. You do things like blow people off the road because you hope you never see them in person.

Chris

Bike
2009 ST1300
The worst drivers in my overall experience are on motorcycles; when I get passed by something that I didn't see approaching on my left side, if it's too close for comfort it's invariably another bike, sometimes a car, but rarely without seeing it first. There's just guys out there that don't care if you see them coming or not, your job is to operate your bike at a predictable speed and in a predictable manner to enable them to ride however they like.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My local riding club also says to ride staggered, with a 1-second spacing from the nearest bike/2-second spacing from the bike directly ahead. The spacing distance naturally increases with greater speed.

While most riders do not stay that close, I always try to, which minimizes the group getting split up by other traffic and at stop-lights, which cause the whole group to have to stop and wait to re-group.
Drop and sweep will fix that problem.

TPadden

Tom Padden
The worst drivers in my overall experience are on motorcycles; when I get passed by something that I didn't see approaching on my left side...
In over 50 years of riding I've never been passed by anything on the left that I didn't see approaching. Not expecting a pass isn't the same thing as not seeing what's behind you. If a motorcycle is approaching at a greater speed than me my experience is to ALWAYS expect a pass and I won't be surprised.

Look at the video unbiasedly and tell me those bikes were invisible approaching the driver/ rider, they certainly weren't to his GoPro. This whole extension of the "my safe space" concept to the road is a large part of the worst driver/ road rage problem (as evidenced by some of the posts here). :oops:

Tom

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
They did? Horns? Flashing lights? I didn't see any indication except maybe the following closer than safe. "" isn't smart riding nor an indication of anything. Well except for poor judgement.

True enough but mainly because so many people prefer to stereotype instead of using basic common sense and maintaining objectivity. It suits their various agendas. Jumping to conclusions is a national pastime. Maybe even international.
In California, when a small group has approached from the rear and hovers a bit, it's a pretty good sign that they want to pass. This has been my experience, even on canyon sweepers, hahaha

STOC #
Passing as politely as possible is a huge factor for me. Some of the twistier roads it's tricky because you have to get close enough to pass at the first safe chance. I try to give a wave as I pass, especially to other motorcyclists.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Having said that, the majority of other motorcyclists are great, give you a chance to become aware they're there, and I don't care about the lines on the road, I never collided with one. It's the few guys that come up way too fast, likely knowing you're not aware of them and pass you closer than they really need to. I mean, I imagine it's gotta be a lot fun, but I'd be willing to bet that if it never happens to you, you likely carve a wider swarth than myself.
Law of the jungle, it's all good.

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
I don't know, I think it just depends on the situation. I think they passed without much fanfare, so mundane, and not 40mph faster than you.
I've had guys come up behind me very closely, and then weave back and forth in their lane (aka Bob Weaver) and I won't give them the time of day or acknowledge them, we are on a two lane highway, and they could pass easily if they wanted to, plus I'm already doing 60 in a 50.
People ride how they want to, but if someone crashes into me because they are careless, I'll be severely pissed.

Top Bottom