And we wonder why motorcyclers have a bad rep...

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Compared to some of the sport bike antics we see around here I think they passed you relatively safely and cleanly. You're obviously passing traffic and then you moved right in your lane and I thought you were changing lanes, but you did not. They interpreted your move right as a signal from you to pass on the left and they did. If you didn't want them to pass you in your lane then you could have changed lanes or just held your position until you passed that last car when you moved right anyway.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Compared to some of the sport bike antics we see around here I think they passed you relatively safely and cleanly. You're obviously passing traffic and then you moved right in your lane and I thought you were changing lanes, but you did not. They interpreted your move right as a signal from you to pass on the left and they did. If you didn't want them to pass you in your lane then you could have changed lanes or just held your position until you passed that last car when you moved right anyway.
Yeah, I was expecting much more speed, impatience, and aggressiveness in the video. Seems the first rider hung back enough time to be noticed, and then rather gently passed. Those guys were tame.

While I don't prefer that behavior, I've been passed quite a few times by a motorcycle (or group) using half my lane, and I've seen it happen to other riders as well. For me, with my ever-constant SIPDE mentality, I usually saw and anticipated that they'd pass beside me in my lane.

However I've had a couple other instances when, on a 2 lane road, a motorcycle in the oncoming lane elects to pass a car or line of cars while I was in their oncoming lane. In those instances, the closing rates are so fast that seeing a bike oncoming in your lane and then processing "what is it I'm seeing, that motorcycle wasn't there moments ago, why is it getting bigger quickly, and then recognition and momentary 'oh crap!'" as it goes by is way beyond startling. :eek: These passes have occurred when I happened to be in the right half of my lane. There's a momentary decision by the oncoming rider that it is 'safe' given the oncoming half lane 'open' and that it's another motorcyclist oncoming (who clearly must expect this as a motorcyclist, and who's willing to share the unused half of their lane).

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have to agree here. I ride the mountain roads pretty often, and when I see the sport bike types coming up on me , or a couple build up behind me, and are riding beyond my comfortable speed on the prevailing roads, I pull over, and let them by. It's common courtesy, EVEN if you are passing slower vehicles in a left lane scenario. Sure some are going to pass in an unsafe manner sometimes- I have had that happen quite a bit on roads that were dangerous to begin with, and some squid passes on a corner....WTH? But, mostly, I just pull over and let them safely by...why not? Doesn't cost me a thing.

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
This is the correct assessment. They were following for a while and the move to the right, intentional or not, is what triggered their pass. I wouldn't like it either if I suddenly got passed by surprise, and would have admonished myself for not being more aware.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Watch the video again. Last rider to pass did what many four wheelers do. He completed the pass and immediately slowed down. Caught himself and took off with the rest of his friends.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd be more concerned about the two lane change in under 4 seconds to make an exit if I was a "cager". But I'm not so good video.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It seems to me, if you were situationally aware of someone moving up on your right close enough to hit your kill switch or brake lever (unless, of course, they were built like a chimp and drag their knuckles on the ground) you would have drifted left or accelerated or deaccel to give them more room. And, what would these jovial fellows say were you to have an accident as a result of these shenanigans?
Unless your required to stay abreast of each other while riding ;)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you expect everybody to act like their trying to kill you while riding, nothing surprises you :rofl1:
The only ones I complain about are the fools who lane split (California) on the freeway at 70mph, weaving in and out of lanes, and passing folks on the shoulder and the center divider, while the flow of traffic is only about 30 mph!
I've seen folks open up car doors deliberately in an attempt to stop them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Unless your required to stay abreast of each other while riding ;)
I find riding with our club uncomfortable sometimes, and we are supposed to maintain a 2 second spacing in a staggered line. I prefer double that, especially as speed increases and would never ride in a group with someone abreast of me. It is just a recipe for disaster, to my way of thinking. Wasn't that kind of riding a contributing factor to a couple of accidents in New England in the last couple of years that resulted in many deaths and/or injuries?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I find riding with our club uncomfortable sometimes, and we are supposed to maintain a 2 second spacing in a staggered line.
My local riding club also says to ride staggered, with a 1-second spacing from the nearest bike/2-second spacing from the bike directly ahead. The spacing distance naturally increases with greater speed.

While most riders do not stay that close, I always try to, which minimizes the group getting split up by other traffic and at stop-lights, which cause the whole group to have to stop and wait to re-group.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Was out running errands today and a group of riders on sport bikes went tearing onto the road from an entrance ramp, easily doing triple digits, weaving in and out of traffic, cutting between vehicles to catch up to one another and riding the breakdown lane or right turn lane to pass on the right at lights. It's no wonder how easily a few can ruin it for the majority who are respective of the rules of the road and other riders/cagers while just trying to stay alive and enjoy a favorite activity.

I was embarrassed as a rider that people would group me together with them.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Lots of opinions. It seems they fall into the category of it's okay to pass another biker in his lane, or it scarred the holy crap out of me.

I suspect those that feel it is perfectly permissible have never had it happen to them. I had one Harley rider follow me in the HOV lane for a good 15 minutes. He hung back and I put him out of my mind as he didn't seem to be a danger. Just as the HOV lane was to split off onto what they locally call the I-5 Express Lanes, he went by me on my left at about 80 mph...then cut over two lanes with a big wave. I had no idea he was going to do that. If I'd moved over even a foot to avoid something on the road, there's no way he could've avoided hitting me.

If he gave me warning that he was going to pass, it wasn't in a manner I could be expected to know it.

On another time, I was coming home from a long trip. Tired; I'm probably at over 10 hours of riding so far with another hour to go. In very heavy traffic on I-405. The road is packed, but moving along at about 70 mph (in a 60 speed zone). Two riders come working their way through the traffic. After a minute or so, the first rider passes me on the left with no warning. Scared the crap out of me. Second rider comes up a minute or so later and tries to do the same thing. At this point, I'm pissed. I move over to the left. After a few minutes of this, he passes on the shoulder...mind you, we are all going 70 mph in a 60...flips me the finger and pops a wheelie in the middle of the traffic.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I don't mind letting riders by me, and I do it often. But for someone to assume I even know they are there...that's wrong and there's no justification for it. You cannot see into my head to know what's going on there. Have I been riding so long that I'm getting loggy and should've pulled off...but have no good options? Am I looking down at my GPS trying to figure out why it is routing me somewhere? Do I have a malfunction on my bike that's diverting my attention? You have no idea.

If you're passing in my lane and didn't get an okay signal from me, you are treating me as a pylon on your personal race course.

Chris

TPadden

Tom Padden
Lots of opinions. It seems they fall into the category of it's okay to pass another biker in his lane, or it scarred the holy crap out of me.

I suspect those that feel it is perfectly permissible have never had it happen to them. I had one Harley rider follow me in the HOV lane for a good 15 minutes...If you're passing in my lane and didn't get an okay signal from me, you are treating me as a pylon on your personal race course.
I use my mirrors and monitor what's behind me; that said if you are even 2 or 3 MPH slower than me and I get behind you, count on me treating you as a pylon, and although I prefer a signalling pylon, I will pass you as soon and as fast as I safely can.

for someone to assume I even know they are there...that's wrong and there's no justification for it. You cannot see into my head to know what's going on there.
That's exactly why I will treat you as a pylon! I haven't hit one yet. :thumb:

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
That's why we each ride our own ride ;).

Tom
I don't really care that my bike is skinnier than a car. It's my lane and sharing it with a yahoo is unnecessary and dangerous.

I am not a "pylon" and to refer to a rider in his own lane that way reflects a casual regard for safety. Feel free to "ride your own ride", but please don't jeopardize other's safety doing so.

Having said that, I'm well aware of what's behind me and if I see a vehicle behind me (car or bike) that's interested in moving faster than me, I will move the the right at the first opportunity.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I'm well aware of what's behind me and if I see a vehicle behind me (car or bike) that's interested in moving faster than me, I will move the the right at the first opportunity.
We agree then, you're not a pylon. :cool:. We also probably agree that if we didn't agree about " first opportunity" I'd probably be your yahoo. ;)

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
My local riding club also says to ride staggered, with a 1-second spacing from the nearest bike/2-second spacing from the bike directly ahead. The spacing distance naturally increases with greater speed.

While most riders do not stay that close, I always try to, which minimizes the group getting split up by other traffic and at stop-lights, which cause the whole group to have to stop and wait to re-group.
We often do a drop and sweep - esp for larger groups (more than about 10 riders).

Top Bottom