Any Lithium Ion Battery Fans?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OK, my GF's NT700VA was parked outside at 6°C from Friday till Sunday afternoon... again 3 click till starter finally came to life...

So tonight first try with the installed gel type battery @12.9V... starter turns kinda lame...
Threw the NOCO in... phew!... starter is really buzzing now... the small thing does pack some punch (500/40A, 51Wh, only 1.2kg/2.58lbs)

Relieved that my GF is safely on the road again, I'm ordering more for my ST1100's... :cool:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Packed a NOCO NLP14 into my ST1100...
Some fitment issues to solve between the bike's battery lead crimps and the battery posts (contacted the MFG if they would care to offer classic style battery posts as accessory), but hey, those tings really pack...
The starter barely whirs when engine is already firing, promptly, like pushing the ON button of a consumer electronic device... for now I like them... a lot...
Long term test will commence due this season... especially if those types will survive a longer grounding period...

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Absolutely a fan! I finally replaced the Ballistic EVO 2 lithium I installed in my ST1300 10 years ago this month! It was still starting just fine, but figured I had pushed my luck far enough. I had it tested in 2020 and it checked out fine. We'll be heading down to the Smokies the end of this month and don't want to risk getting stranded. I replaced it with a NOCO NLP14, which dropped in perfectly using the 17mm vertical spacer.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I replaced it with a NOCO NLP14, which dropped in perfectly using the 17mm vertical spacer.
Yup, like those solid plastic spacers they provide, their securely clip into the bottom of the battery.
With other brands you'll get those soft foam spacers, leaving the battery wiggling and bouncing... the movement might loosen the terminal screws...

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I never had much luck with batteries in the ST1300. It ate a Yuasa in under a year, then two MotoBatts
(their problem was that they discharged too quickly, even after being sat on an Optimate battery tender).
My current bike came to me with a JMT LiFePO4 battery, which so far has been great, and once I get the
ST running again I may well treat it to a lithium ion battery too.

20211219_140129.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... I can replace my battery with an AGM 3 times for the price of that NOCO.
Not anymore, currently the NOCO comes at € 140,-, the OEM YUASA YTX14H-BS will hit you with € 160,- at the Honda stealer, a pattern gel type battery is listed at € 80,- and probably lasts one season only...
Sorry I ride a €15K motorcycle, hence no bean-counting... :cool:

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
First one I built was a bigger one, for the ST to do double duty as a power supply when I camp.
Do I understand you built your own lifepo4 battery pack?
I want to do this and I'm close to sourcing batteries and building one of these myself, would be interested in your journey for that.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
My Shorai was installed spring of 2015 and it is still cranking like new. The original battery was really slow cranking at the end of the third season which made me replace it the next spring since where crossing North America the following year.

Bike
ST1300A
My Shorai was installed spring of 2015 and it is still cranking like new. The original battery was really slow cranking at the end of the third season which made me replace it the next spring since where crossing North America the following year.
I have been using Shorai LiFePO4 batteries in our CBR1000F and ST1300 bikes for about ten years. So far, all but one has been they have been reliable.

LFX19A4-BS12 (shoraipower.com)

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
If it matters, I'm going back to good old AGM after using Li-ion. They're nice but too finicky for the occasional rider like myself. And the price gap just isn't worth the extra hassle of having a capable charger handy. AGM holds charge better IMO and is easier to recover if it gets too depleted. What's a few extra pounds in the big picture?

[EDIT] By finicky, I mean that yes the Li battry holds charge better in the short term (about a month), but after that it drops quickly. Conversely, the AGM tapers off more linearly. Since I am a more occasional rider, I fell into that longer-term pattern and I'd end up having to "reset" the battery to get it to recharge. This was particularly true as the battery aged. It was annoying and got tired of it. I want to ride WHEN I want to ride, not once the battery was appeased and happy. I got 5 good years out of it so I can't complain, but I'm not willing to continue the cycle.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Currently testing this bugger:

DEESPAEK YTX14-BS 9Ah 520CCA

Full size, hence no fumbling with spacers (actually had to remove some rubber cushion pads from the battery tray to get it in), very solid terminals -> better suited for the ST1100 battery terminal crimps, good punch so far, not been killed by deep discharge* yet...
Currently for around ~€ 160,- in my corner of the woods...

(* already had to hold a funeral for two NOCO batts that cannot be revived, a BMS protecting the cells was the actual reason for even looking at LiFePO4... :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Don't know if I'm a fan but I've just put an antigravity in my ST, got it from a buddy his 890 electronics didn't like it, thank goodness the ST is a simple bike

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just an update on my Scorpion Lithium battery installed about this time a year back in 2019. Not much to report as it's still going strong 5 years on. I have managed to drain it twice accidently. First when locking the steering stem, I inadvertently turned the key too far to the "park" position which lights the taillight and then left it overnight. How I failed to notice the taillight being on I'm not sure. Dead as a doornail in the morning. I carry a small jump pack and upon connecting it to the battery terminals seemed to immediately wake it up allowing the bike crank over and it started as normal. The second time was when riding with a group out in Death Valley. We stopped for lunch and I failed to turn the key off after hitting the kill switch. It wasn't completely dead but not enough grunt to turn the engine over fast enough to start. Luckily being with a group, a quick push start got me going again. By the time we reached our next stop, maybe 50 miles or so, the battery had recovered. Both of those incidents happened in 2021 and so far the battery seems unscathed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom