Apprehensive New ST1300 Owner

Bike
2012 PCX150
I've just bought a beautiful one-owner 2009 ST1300 from a dealer, it's ready for collection but I'm a little apprehensive, especially after I felt how top-heavy it was in the showroom. I've always liked the ST1300 and when this one came up I didn't want to pass it over, at least not while I can still get a leg over. My last heavy bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91. I used to throw the Gold Wing around like a 50cc, but I was also 30 years younger and a little reckless. I didn't ride between 1994 and 2014, and since being back in the saddle I've ridden my PCX150 and spent a few months on an Aprilia Pegaso 650.

Am I being unnecessarily anxious? The last thing I want is to drop it at the dealer, or at home in full view of the neighbours!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Welcome Ralf. Yes, the ST is top heavy compared to any GW. It does seem to lose it's weight pretty quickly though when you start moving. Just be very careful moving it around the first few months until you get the hang of it. Be cautious of where you stop and where your feet go down and you'll be fine.

Bike
VStrom 650
Ralf, ay up me duck.
No, I don't think you are really. Anxiety in small measures is not a bad thing, if you start sweating, swearing out loud and running around the dealership in just your shreddies, it maybe a little excessive.
I recall riding a GL1500 for the first time, it was a buddies pride and joy, it felt sooooooo big. But in a short while it felt good.
The advice above is good, plan your stops and manoeuvres in advance, also check out the GW rear crash bar fitment for the 13. It could save you a lot of pain.
Bon chance.
Upt'North.

Reactions: Djc
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Take it easy for the first few days and you'll soon feel comfortable with the ST I'm sure. Like you, I didn't ride for about 15 years, and I got myself a ST1300. I had the same thoughts - would I remember how to ride this beast etc. However, it was no problem and I soon felt just like I did in my 30's on my ST1100...

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome from WA STate!! The weight goes away quickly...have fun with the new toy. T

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I'm apprehensive on any new (to me) bike. Just take a little extra care until you become familiar with the bike. It is more top heavy than a Wing. The more top heavy the better the lean angle so go out and have fun on your new bike.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have the 1100, which is similar to the 1300 in that it is very top heavy. When you are moving around slowly in parking lots, gas stations etc... watch out for loose gravel, wet areas, oil that might make your foot slip and cause a tip over. If the handlebars are turned then avoid the front brakes and use the rear. If you feel yourself falling then just move your leg out of the way and let it go. The wings will catch it and minimize any damage + you don't want to get a leg or a foot caught under it.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Welcome from East Central Florida. I have a 1300 and a GL1800 Goldwing. At 75+ I ride them both regularly without any issues. Be careful doing slow maneuvers and doing U-Turns, plan your stops and I recommend not putting your feet down until you come to a stop. Dragging your feet coming to a stop can cause you to lose your balance. I move my bikes around the driveway and/or garage with me on them and not trying to push them around.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Welcome to the site and congratulations of the new to you bike. As others have said take it easy for a while and pay attention to where you stop, park etc. Before long you'll be slinging it around! That being said I had mine for over two years and thought I was doing great until I had my first drop! Followed by three more in the last the last 10 years; and yeah in front of several STO folks once!:rolleyes: LOL! Never hurt the bike! Low spots, gravel, sloping areas and packing top heavy can be troublesome!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I stopped riding in about 1990 when I had a beautiful Suzuki GS850G - and then I returned in 2015 when I bought a used 2007 Honda ST1300. Yup, it was heavy and powerful but what a machine! I got the hang of it and enjoyed it very much until I sold it just before Christmas. The only major issue I had was the failure of the clutch slave cylinder - about which I wrote an article. Fortunately, that seemingly very common problem is also pretty easy to remedy.

My advice to you with your new ST1300 is: be cautious and make sure that you are very well organized before you start to release the clutch. The ST1300 is a very fast but tractable bike with (IMO - but others may differ) good throttle response and truly excellent low-speed handling that somehow masks its weight and high centre of gravity amazingly well. But make no mistake, that bike is heavy and weight is up high - particularly when the fuel tank is full (there is 60 lbs of gasoline in the tank when it is full).

The only problem you might have, (aside from getting it onto the centrestand - which is actually pretty easy if you do it right) - could happen if you try to lean it over at low speed and something goes wrong and you have to stop quickly - or if you don't get your feet under you when actually stopped. That could easily result in a "tip-over" and let me assure you, it ain't easy to stop an ST that wants to lie down and have a snooze.

Other than that, have fun with your new bike and pay attention to which gear you are in. The ST is so smooth and comfy that it is quite easy to find yourself roaring along a freeway at 70 MPH in 4th gear (or possibly even 3rd - DAMHIK).

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300A
I've just bought a beautiful one-owner 2009 ST1300 from a dealer, it's ready for collection but I'm a little apprehensive, especially after I felt how top-heavy it was in the showroom. I've always liked the ST1300 and when this one came up I didn't want to pass it over, at least not while I can still get a leg over. My last heavy bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91. I used to throw the Gold Wing around like a 50cc, but I was also 30 years younger and a little reckless. I didn't ride between 1994 and 2014, and since being back in the saddle I've ridden my PCX150 and spent a few months on an Aprilia Pegaso 650.

Am I being unnecessarily anxious? The last thing I want is to drop it at the dealer, or at home in full view of the neighbours!
Take an intermediate or advanced riding course and get use to leaning the motorcycle again. The only time you will feel the weight of the bike is at a stop on an uneven surface or picking it up if you drop it. The ST1300 has an extreme lean angle before anything scrapes, especially compared to the Goldwing. Once you feel comfortable leaning the bike again in slow maneuvers and at speed, that feeling of top heaviness will disappear. If you watch Jerry Palladino and his tiny wife on youtube ride the largest bikes through intricate cone patterns with almost no effort, you understand the importance of advanced training to maximize your proficiency, confidence, and safety.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Maybe I should limit my fuel to 8l for the first few months, that'll only use the lower tank and reduce the top-heaviness?
Not going to make that much difference. And the fuel pump uses the cool fuel as a heat sink. Don't run the tank dry for fear of running the pump hot. There are articles here somewhere.
T

Maybe I should limit my fuel to 8l for the first few months, that'll only use the lower tank and reduce the top-heaviness?
I wouldnt, cause it won't make *that* much of a difference. You're better off "being used to it" sooner rather than later.

My first "top heavy" bike is my 2003 ST13. (also have a 2008)

The wife and I drove a one way rental car to test ride the ST, purchased it on the spot, dropped off the rental ... then rode two up, in 40 mph cross winds (full tank of fuel), to include night time riding and some riding on interstate highways with 18 wheelers around us, for 4.5 hours. (Port Aransas to Magnolia TX).

We did the exact same thing when we bought the Gold Wing. Yea, the GW is easier to move around when your feet are planted, but I don't recall being apprehensive on the "ST trip" home.

Don't overthink it, just be aware of the trait.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
If you watch Jerry Palladino and his tiny wife on youtube ride the largest bikes through intricate cone patterns with almost no effort, you understand the importance of advanced training to maximize your proficiency, confidence, and safety.
I just watched a few of his videos, they make it look so easy. "Clutch in friction zone, gentle rear brake, look where you want to go... and practice, practice, practice." I can only gain from doing an intermediate and advanced course.

Bike
2000 ST1100
You'll be fine. Just remember that any bike new to youwill seem like a little challenge. I went from a 250cc bike to a 550cc bike to a ST1100 bike. Rode that bike 60 miles home and never had a bit of trouble. Have I dropped it in 21 years...yep but it wasn't because of the motorcycle. It was on me for not paying attention. Is it top heavy yes it is especially with a full tank. But really you will get use to it. These bikes ST1100 or ST1300 is the perfect size and weight for in town riding or touring on country roads or the interstate. Just take it slow and learn your bike and you will be rewarded.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don’t have anything to add except additional encouragement. It will be hard not to be anxious but ride as much and as often as you can. Nothing beats seat time to build confidence. I’m only 5’ 6” and never could touch both feet flat on my ST ( and almost every bike I’ve ridden ). It’s all mental and we must know absolutely that we are masters of our machines. Technique will come but we gotta put in the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom