Apprehensive New ST1300 Owner

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Totally agree ref watching Jerry on YouTube. Took my Pan 1300 to a car park and practiced for 30 minutes doing slow U turns really helped in gaining confidence. Great bikes!
Great Job! Robert Simmons also has a good youtube channel where he demonstrates the basic police cone patterns. For those members who live in Florida, Robert regularly puts on free training days. You can also download the measurements for the police cone patterns from google. I use a $10 Rolatape to lay the patterns out. I'm glad it helped and I couldn't agree with you more about the ST.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
I took the bike out for a longer ride earlier. I noticed there's almost no movement in the front forks, all bumps are transferred directly to the handlebars. The selling dealer replaced a leaking fork seal, I'm assuming they refilled with the incorrect oil weight and/or quantity.

Oh, I can celebrate my first drop. :mad: Stupid mistake, I pulled away at a stop street in 2nd, thinking I had changed down to 1st. The engine cut and I had to walk off the bike, luckily two gents helped me get it up (not easy when it's tipped on a slight slope). Interestingly, the only damage is a slight scuff on the crash guard cover, no damage at all on the pannier or anywhere else.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I'll say one thing about getting accustomed to an ST, when you grab your Bonnie for a ride somewhere, you feel like you're on an MSF 250 with visions of Steve McQueen attempting to evade German soldiers.
ZACKLEY! I sold my ST1300 just before Christmas but I always found that switching from the ST to one of my old Yamaha XS650s felt like going to a bicycle.

The XS650 isn't exactly a lightweight at more than 450 lbs - but it sure felt light and small compared to the "Battlestar 1300".

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I took the bike out for a longer ride earlier. I noticed there's almost no movement in the front forks, all bumps are transferred directly to the handlebars. The selling dealer replaced a leaking fork seal, I'm assuming they refilled with the incorrect oil weight and/or quantity.

Oh, I can celebrate my first drop. :mad: Stupid mistake, I pulled away at a stop street in 2nd, thinking I had changed down to 1st. The engine cut and I had to walk off the bike, luckily two gents helped me get it up (not easy when it's tipped on a slight slope). Interestingly, the only damage is a slight scuff on the crash guard cover, no damage at all on the pannier or anywhere else.
Yes - the ST1300 is amazingly well designed to survive low-speed get-offs with little or no damage beyond a scuff on those black tip-over "wing" covers and of course, to one's pride. While there is a lot of very pretty and expensive plastic on the bike, somebody at Honda sure knew their geometry when they designed those wing-covers because they are the only parts of the bike that touches down in most cases.

BTW Ralf - the tip-over wing-covers are very inexpensive and easily replaceable and are still available from Honda (just look up the P/Ns on PartZilla.com - they are around $10 each I think) and of course because any scuffing will be on their undersides, you can just sand it off and keep going!

In fact, the covers are so easy to remove and replace that wherever I took my ST on a marine ferry or had it trailered, I slipped them off and used the very sturdy engine protector bars beneath them as anchor points for my tie-down straps.

All you need is a 5mm <I think> Allen key to remove and replace them. The screw is on the underside of each cover.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Regarding cross winds.

The ST1300 is not that bad in cross winds, but passing trucks can be a little unnerving. But here's a useful technique.

South Africa - you drive on the left, like the UK ??

Just prepare yourself for the 'bow wave' which is coming off the front of the truck when you pass. The bow wave is strongest when the wind is coming from between head on and to your left. Ride out well to the right, and as you are about level with the back of the cab, gently accelerate and countersteer left slightly - just enough to put a slight lean on the bike to the left (as if exiting a left hand bend). The acceleration will try to lift the bike upright again. You are aiming to be in the centre of your lane after you get past the front of the truck. This gets you and the bike balanced ready for the sideways blast of the bow wave. And if the blast doesn't come, you're in control of the steer to the left anyway. If it is strong, it will just lift you upright rather than unsettle you and blow you off course to your right.

It's probably something you will not need to do after a while, but it helps to generate the confidence as your are getting used to the feel of the bike.

Another thing that might help is to make sure that the rear suspension is not jacked up too high. It can make the ST1300 feel twitchy. WInd the suspension right down (anti-clockwise), bike on centre stand (it is easier) and then wind it up again. As soon as you feel the resistance, count seven clicks from that point.

It will need a good bit more than 7 if you are carrying a heavy load, but 7 is the standard setting. Read the handbook for how to set the suspeniosn damper to standard setting.

Last edited:
Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I noticed there's almost no movement in the front forks, all bumps are transferred directly to the handlebars. The selling dealer replaced a leaking fork seal, I'm assuming they refilled with the incorrect oil weight and/or quantity.
Take it back to them and ask how much oil and what weight they used. The forks could have too much oil in them.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
Take it back to them and ask how much oil and what weight they used. The forks could have too much oil in them.
They've offered to check the bike and fork movement. My concern is, if they couldn't do it properly the first time, why would their second attempt be any better. Honda is not one of their brands, so they may not have the knowledge and/or specs.
Looking down at the forks while riding I'm sure there should be up and down movement? I recall this from my Gold Wing Interstate in '91.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
BTW Ralf - the tip-over wing-covers are very inexpensive and easily replaceable and are still available from Honda (just look up the P/Ns on PartZilla.com - they are around $10 each I think) and of course because any scuffing will be on their undersides, you can just sand it off and keep going!
The local dealer quoted ZAR514 (roughly USD35 at current exchange rates). PartZilla want USD20.14, shipping to SA will cost twice that, plus other fees, so it seems the local price is fair. You guys are lucky, you earn Dollars and have everything on your doorstep.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The local dealer quoted ZAR514 (roughly USD35 at current exchange rates). PartZilla want USD20.14, shipping to SA will cost twice that, plus other fees, so it seems the local price is fair. You guys are lucky, you earn Dollars and have everything on your doorstep.
Weeeellllll....I earn short Canadian dollars.

Our bucks are presently worth about $0.73 USD....but I take your point.

Having said that....sand paper and black spray paint is even less expensive!

Last edited:

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Ive dropped my bike three times. I picked it up myself the first time and that sucked! But, the other two times i had help.
pls understand that if younare embarrassed, you can get on the bike and ride away. The embarassment is temporary.
those little black wings on the bike really do work! My paint still looks great!

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
Ive dropped my bike three times. I picked it up myself the first time and that sucked! But, the other two times i had help.
pls understand that if you are embarrassed, you can get on the bike and ride away. The embarassment is temporary.
those little black wings on the bike really do work! My paint still looks great!
Interestingly, I was remarkably calm, and not embarrassed, not what I would've expected from myself, almost like an out-of body experience. It happened around 2PM at a busy T-junction frequented by parents picking up their kids, traffic piling up behind me and to the right. Within seconds the first chap offered help and soon there was another. I was back on the bike within minutes. As the bike was tipped to the right lying on a slight downhill I doubt I would've been able to pick it up myself, the other two even said, "this thing IS heavy!".

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Welcome to the Tipover Club. Now you have done it, you know and understand how and why it happens, and what happens next. No reason to fear, plenty of motivation to be diligent in watching slopes, grades, loose materials, and footing. The world does not end when your ST elects to take a momentary nap.

IMG_1302.JPG

This happened on what appeared to be an utterly deserted, seldom-traveled Indiana country road mid-morning on a Sunday. Within moments, no fewer than FIVE motorists had stopped to help me reSTore Brutus to his proper orientation. (What isn't obvious in the photo is that the bike is on the edge of a two- or three-foot deep ditch; in order to work from the right side, I'd have had to be underneath the bike with almost zero leverage.) Ten seconds after we were done- almost before I could say "Thank you"- I was again totally alone.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Interestingly, I was remarkably calm, and not embarrassed, not what I would've expected from myself, almost like an out-of body experience. It happened around 2PM at a busy T-junction frequented by parents picking up their kids, traffic piling up behind me and to the right. Within seconds the first chap offered help and soon there was another. I was back on the bike within minutes. As the bike was tipped to the right lying on a slight downhill I doubt I would've been able to pick it up myself, the other two even said, "this thing IS heavy!".
It feels a lot lighter when moving!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I owned a rt breifly. I never filled the taknk and the bike felt like it fell into corners. I dont get the topheavy complaint on the st.
It's because it is top heavy, compared to other bikes that weigh that much, i.e. Goldwing, FJR, Concours, etc. I've sat on all those, and the ST feels the most top heavy to me.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
With the ST, Honda seems to have hit upon just the right steering and frame geometry to remove about 300 lbs at a speed of about 5 mph.

Above that speed, the ST feels like a 400-450 lb bike but below that speed and when stopped,....well.....let's just say that it feels much heavier.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
It i
With the ST, Honda seems to have hit upon just the right steering and frame geometry to remove about 300 lbs at a speed of about 5 mph.

Above that speed, the ST feels like a 400-450 lb bike but below that speed and when stopped,....well.....let's just say that it feels much heavier.
It is all clutch, brake, throttle control and hours of training. The only time you will feel the weight of the bike when properly trained is at a dead stop on an uneven or slippery surface or when lifting it off the kickstand.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
It's because it is top heavy, compared to other bikes that weigh that much, i.e. Goldwing, FJR, Concours, etc. I've sat on all those, and the ST feels the most top heavy to me.
Wow! Im a little suprised. Ive heard this from others, but after the beemer. It doesnt bother me. Of course, it was pretty topheavy when i front braked to a stop on a steep downhill and turned the front wherl just a bit! That was a struggle!

Top Bottom