Apprehensive New ST1300 Owner

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The MSF courses will help, but training yourself is not out of the realm of reality, if you're familiar with riding.
As a RiderCoach, I always strive to become comfortable with slow-speed figure 8s / u-turns on any bike I own. I dropped mine after 2 days of ownership, doing precisely that. I wasn't prepared for the weight, although I'd had a couple days with it.
But it IS worth mastering this simple maneuver.
Couple rules of thumb:
1. ALWAYS come to a stop with the handlebars squared. Front tire in line with the bike.
2. In slow turns, TURN your head. You'll actually be looking over your shoulder, eyes up! when doing u-turns.
3. Counterweighting may help, although not actually a requirement.
Take your time, no hurry to get this done. An empty parking lot will suffice; 2 adjacent parking spaces is approximately the width of the 20-foot u-turn box in the MSF courses.
With minimum-to-no lean angle, at parking lot speeds or walking speed, the weight is nothing to worry about.
Remember too, there are motor cops who wheel these things like crazy, including gymkhana and bike rodeos. They're not super-human, but they have been trained, and they continually practice.
As should we all.
Welcome in!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it. You WILL drop it. But then you'll pick it up and ride more.

I dropped mine the very first time I rode it. Inexperienced rider + stop sign on uphill, slanted, awkward corner = over he went. I learned. Only dropped it five more times after that.

STOC #
Going along with what "ibike2havefun" said, watch some videos on picking up the bike. Your anxiety should decrease, knowing you can pick it up.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
And on a practical note make sure the dealer has the tires inflated properly....low front tire and she's a pig....can't tell you how many times I've seen a used bike at a dealer with low tires....have fun!

Bike
ST and K1600
Another thing not yet mentioned.. the stock seat has 3 height settings, and the lowest setting gives you the most sure-footed stance while also lowering the bike + rider combined center of gravity somewhat.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
You'll be fine. Just remember that any bike new to youwill seem like a little challenge. I went from a 250cc bike to a 550cc bike to a ST1100 bike. Rode that bike 60 miles home and never had a bit of trouble. Have I dropped it in 21 years...yep but it wasn't because of the motorcycle. It was on me for not paying attention. Is it top heavy yes it is especially with a full tank. But really you will get use to it. These bikes ST1100 or ST1300 is the perfect size and weight for in town riding or touring on country roads or the interstate. Just take it slow and learn your bike and you will be rewarded.
Those crosswinds sure are fun aren't they? Especially when you get a 50+ mph gust as you're passing a semi-truck :eek:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
With a little time in the saddle the bike will inspire confidence and some lightness at anything above parking lot speed. Until then watch your clutch engagement and rpm when starting each move (from a stop). Stalling at that point is a good way to earn Tip Over Tales membership.

At your earliest opportunity remove any slack (well you can keep the factory spec if you chose) from the throttle cable to help maintain more precise control over low speed throttle.

It probably wouldn't hurt to start working you quads as well. :D

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
especially after I felt how top-heavy it was in the showroom.
How fast did you go in the showroom? No getting around it, stationary, the ST13 is top heavy. Above about 3mph, I don't notice it anymore.
I used to throw the Gold Wing around like a 50cc,
A month or two after getting my 13, I was talking to an old friend and mentioned that I was back to biking, and had bought an ST... "Ah, so you have a pipe & slippers now too?" was his remark. "Nope, I'm throwing it around more than I used to when we both rode SV650's, and still out pacing the power ranger weekend warriors whenever I want to." We were usually riding 'at pace' on the 650cc bikes... the 13 just has more power.
Am I being unnecessarily anxious?
Nope, anxiety is a good thing, as others have said, makes you pay more attention & treat it with the respect it deserves. 600cc class bikes are pretty forgiving, and let you get away with a lot of mistakes. 1000cc and above, not so much.
Maybe I should limit my fuel to 8l for the first few months, that'll only use the lower tank and reduce the top-heaviness?
Months? Hell no. 8L? I was going to suggest "tell the dealer to only half fill the tank, ride it like that for maybe 2-3 fuel stops, after that, fill the tank & ride it like you stole it!"

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Adjust your seat so you can flat foot or get as close to that as you can. These are very top heavy bikes. Stopping on uneven ground is still a challenge for me. I've got a Russel seat so it elevates me a little.
I would install a set of these crash bars so if you do fall over, damage is minimal.
Once you're rolling down the road, you will like the stability of the bike and enjoy the power.....Good luck....

Attachments

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
Adjust your seat so you can flat foot or get as close to that as you can.
I would install a set of these crash bars so if you do fall over, damage is minimal.
I'm 1.87m, so flat-footing isn't a problem, I'll play around with the seat settings to see if I can go higher. Re crash bars, you guys are lucky, you order online and within a day or two it's delivered, not so easy our end of the world - if it arrives - not to mention the 15.5:1 exchange rate. I'l see if our local engineering partner can make me a set of bars. We're also looking at producing the infamous windscreen gear, possibly as a 3D printed or sintered unit to keep costs down. One doesn't want to make the gear too strong or it will prematurely destroy the next link in the chain.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Yeah so if you're 6'1" , then you should be able to flat foot, which helps stabilize the heavy beast. The seat has 3 settings so decide what works best for you.
I ordered my bars off Ebay and they were from China. It's normally a 4-5 week wait to Canada. I waited 4 weeks. The only 2-3 day shipping I ever get in Canada is through Amazon.ca, which is incredible how fast they ship!
If you can get someone to make the bars for you, that would be cool. They will save the expensive hard side luggage if you ever tip over.
Also, good luck on your windshield gear!

Agree, I am 5'7" and am not quite flat footed with the seat set to lowest position, but don't have any real issues. It was a significant change in weight distribution from my previous vulcan 1500 cruiser and does take some getting used to. Biggest risk for dropping is stopped or at very low speed, once you start to move the weight disappears. Backing up is still a bitch!! so I have learned to think ahead when parking :). I have ridden this for a year now and have gained my confidence back... first when I made the switch from the cruiser (which I was so comfortable with) the top heaviness on the ST (especially with a full tank of gas on board) was a bit intimidating. During the year I started back at the gym again with cross fit and power lifting and I noticed it felt much easier when I had to push the beast around, put on center stand or support some weight if stopped on some weird angle. I am currently watching these documentaries about two guys travelling the world on motorbike, and was thinking while the old ST is beautiful on the tarmac, I am not sure I would want to use it on a trip that includes off road :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
I am currently watching these documentaries about two guys travelling the world on motorbike, and was thinking while the old ST is beautiful on the tarmac, I am not sure I would want to use it on a trip that includes off road :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round
I dust off Long Way Round every 2 or so years and watch it again, by that time it's like watching it for the first time. ;)

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Agree, I am 5'7" and am not quite flat footed with the seat set to lowest position, but don't have any real issues. It was a significant change in weight distribution from my previous vulcan 1500 cruiser and does take some getting used to. Biggest risk for dropping is stopped or at very low speed, once you start to move the weight disappears. Backing up is still a bitch!! so I have learned to think ahead when parking :). I have ridden this for a year now and have gained my confidence back... first when I made the switch from the cruiser (which I was so comfortable with) the top heaviness on the ST (especially with a full tank of gas on board) was a bit intimidating. During the year I started back at the gym again with cross fit and power lifting and I noticed it felt much easier when I had to push the beast around, put on center stand or support some weight if stopped on some weird angle. I am currently watching these documentaries about two guys travelling the world on motorbike, and was thinking while the old ST is beautiful on the tarmac, I am not sure I would want to use it on a trip that includes off road :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round
I've been watching a youtube series that chronicles these two young men traveling across Canada, coast to coast, on too old motorcycles, one a 400cc and the other a Savage. These things are held together with bubble gum and duck tape but they head out anyways. They have a limited amount of knowledge and never think about looking at a manual when they repair something. If they could do everything they do on their bikes, I'm sure the ST would manage just fine. At 60, I wish I could get that, "throw caution to the wind" attitude back. It sure does make for some good memories.

I've been watching a youtube series that chronicles these two young men traveling across Canada, coast to coast, on too old motorcycles, one a 400cc and the other a Savage. These things are held together with bubble gum and duck tape but they head out anyways. They have a limited amount of knowledge and never think about looking at a manual when they repair something. If they could do everything they do on their bikes, I'm sure the ST would manage just fine. At 60, I wish I could get that, "throw caution to the wind" attitude back. It sure does make for some good memories.
will have to watch this !! Thanks

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'll say one thing about getting accustomed to an ST, when you grab your Bonnie for a ride somewhere, you feel like you're on an MSF 250 with visions of Steve McQueen attempting to evade German soldiers.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
I've been watching a youtube series that chronicles these two young men traveling across Canada, coast to coast, on too old motorcycles, one a 400cc and the other a Savage. At 60, I wish I could get that, "throw caution to the wind" attitude back. It sure does make for some good memories.
In my early 20s I wanted to get an XT600 Tenere and tour Namibia, this with zero off-road riding experience or any idea what it would be like handling this kind of bike on dirt roads and in heavy sand. Those were the reckless days, when I got in my car with nothing more than some money, water and a packet of cigarettes and headed into the wilderness, taking dirt roads marked as "4x4 Only!" and spending the night sleeping in the car wrapped in newspaper. When one gets older one spends too much time analyzing and considering what can go wrong, this becomes restrictive.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
In my early 20s I wanted to get an XT600 Tenere and tour Namibia, this with zero off-road riding experience or any idea what it would be like handling this kind of bike on dirt roads and in heavy sand. Those were the reckless days, when I got in my car with nothing more than some money, water and a packet of cigarettes and headed into the wilderness, taking dirt roads marked as "4x4 Only!" and spending the night sleeping in the car wrapped in newspaper. When one gets older one spends too much time analyzing and considering what can go wrong, this becomes restrictive.
You are spot on! I remember at 18 throwing my 125 Husqvarna in the bed of my mini pickup after getting off work on Friday and heading out to the desert for the weekend without a care in the world. I think I seized that motor and broke something on the bike every other trip due to its limited travel and my own reckless behavior. I went back to work every Monday so I could do it all over again another weekend. I'm now retired and I'm tired of seeing friends and family around me dying of cancer without enjoying the end of their life. That is why I ride everyday.

Take an intermediate or advanced riding course and get use to leaning the motorcycle again. The only time you will feel the weight of the bike is at a stop on an uneven surface or picking it up if you drop it. The ST1300 has an extreme lean angle before anything scrapes, especially compared to the Goldwing. Once you feel comfortable leaning the bike again in slow maneuvers and at speed, that feeling of top heaviness will disappear. If you watch Jerry Palladino and his tiny wife on youtube ride the largest bikes through intricate cone patterns with almost no effort, you understand the importance of advanced training to maximize your proficiency, confidence, and safety.
Totally agree ref watching Jerry on YouTube. Took my Pan 1300 to a car park and practiced for 30 minutes doing slow U turns really helped in gaining confidence. Great bikes!

Top Bottom