Apprehensive New ST1300 Owner

Bike
2005 ST1300A
I've just bought a beautiful one-owner 2009 ST1300 from a dealer, it's ready for collection but I'm a little apprehensive, especially after I felt how top-heavy it was in the showroom. I've always liked the ST1300 and when this one came up I didn't want to pass it over, at least not while I can still get a leg over. My last heavy bike was a Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate in '91. I used to throw the Gold Wing around like a 50cc, but I was also 30 years younger and a little reckless. I didn't ride between 1994 and 2014, and since being back in the saddle I've ridden my PCX150 and spent a few months on an Aprilia Pegaso 650.

Am I being unnecessarily anxious? The last thing I want is to drop it at the dealer, or at home in full view of the neighbours!
I took a 30 year break from riding. Last bike was 85 Yamaha RZ500. Two years ago I climbed on a 650 V star. That was my "warm up"bike. Kept it for 1 Canadian riding season. Then jumped all the way to my current 05 ST1300. Wow what a weight difference. However, I started slow. Riding around the neighborhood getting use to the acceleration, braking, cornering and weight. After I installed the rear crash guards, I started practicing slow speed u turns in the school parking lot. Glad I did as I dropped it once. I did not have the technique to bring her up on my own. Thanks to some passers by, she was back on two wheels. Then I learned how to pickup bike based on utube videos and I practiced that in the garage.

So, if you don't know how to pick this big beautiful machine, learn that. Also, invest in the crash bars.

Ride her home, be careful and get to know her under controlled conditions. It has been a year and I am really comfortable now.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Regarding cross winds.

The ST1300 is not that bad in cross winds, but passing trucks can be a little unnerving. But here's a useful technique.

South Africa - you drive on the left, like the UK ??

Just prepare yourself for the 'bow wave' which is coming off the front of the truck when you pass. The bow wave is strongest when the wind is coming from between head on and to your left. Ride out well to the right, and as you are about level with the back of the cab, gently accelerate and countersteer left slightly - just enough to put a slight lean on the bike to the left (as if exiting a left hand bend). The acceleration will try to lift the bike upright again. You are aiming to be in the centre of your lane after you get past the front of the truck. This gets you and the bike balanced ready for the sideways blast of the bow wave. And if the blast doesn't come, you're in control of the steer to the left anyway. If it is strong, it will just lift you upright rather than unsettle you and blow you off course to your right.

It's probably something you will not need to do after a while, but it helps to generate the confidence as your are getting used to the feel of the bike.

Another thing that might help is to make sure that the rear suspension is not jacked up too high. It can make the ST1300 feel twitchy. WInd the suspension right down (anti-clockwise), bike on centre stand (it is easier) and then wind it up again. As soon as you feel the resistance, count seven clicks from that point.

It will need a good bit more than 7 if you are carrying a heavy load, but 7 is the standard setting. Read the handbook for how to set the suspeniosn damper to standard setting.
That’s one thing of the things Honda got wrong. The stock ST1300 is under sprung for almost every rider. Seven clicks of preload might work for solo riders under 150 lbs with no luggage. The rear spring is so soft seven clicks of preload barely gets the shock off the bump stop. Measure the static and rider sag and see for yourself. It’s not rocket science. It’s suspension tuning 101.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
That’s one thing of the things Honda got wrong. The stock ST1300 is under sprung for almost every rider. Seven clicks of preload might work for solo riders under 150 lbs with no luggage. The rear spring is so soft seven clicks of preload barely gets the shock off the bump stop. Measure the static and rider sag and see for yourself. It’s not rocket science. It’s suspension tuning 101.
My preload wasn't even functional until Larry showed me how to flush and refill it. My bike is a 2012 but wasn't sold until 2016 and only has 20K miles. The hose was filled with a white lard like substance and very little oil in the line. After completing the service I am at 4 clicks, I weigh 200lbs with no top box, and it is working perfectly. I am very happy with the change in handling.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I took a 30 year break from riding. Last bike was 85 Yamaha RZ500. Two years ago I climbed on a 650 V star. That was my "warm up"bike. Kept it for 1 Canadian riding season. Then jumped all the way to my current 05 ST1300. Wow what a weight difference. However, I started slow. Riding around the neighborhood getting use to the acceleration, braking, cornering and weight. After I installed the rear crash guards, I started practicing slow speed u turns in the school parking lot. Glad I did as I dropped it once. I did not have the technique to bring her up on my own. Thanks to some passers by, she was back on two wheels. Then I learned how to pickup bike based on utube videos and I practiced that in the garage.

So, if you don't know how to pick this big beautiful machine, learn that. Also, invest in the crash bars.

Ride her home, be careful and get to know her under controlled conditions. It has been a year and I am really comfortable now.
U see? Axel was smart! I’ m the moron that goes 40 years without a ride and buys a 700 lb bike! I swear the first three weeks the bike wanted to kill me! But, i did the miles and made the mistakes and the bike and i get along just fine.
you are gonna find your own way if you dont give up. Its just a motorcycle. The st can pop a wheelie and it can slide around a corner. I dont do that! Its a really good ride and it will make you sooo happy!
Being from the city, the first destination was the interstate. I knew the cars all went inthe same direction. I freaked at the on and off ramps.
its not like that now.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I understand your anxiety and apprehension as I have the same feelings. I went from an '81 Interstate with 146K that I rode for 24 years and replaced it with an '04 ST. My first outing of the year is filled with anxiety even getting it out of the garage, getting it down the driveway, and out in the street. It takes me about 25-30 miles and multiple stops to get reasonably comfortable again. The ST has 57K on it now and it has never been dropped yet. One of the issues is that I ride a 919 regularly while the ST is relegated to 1-2 per year for a long trip.

At 5' 7" with a 27 inch inseam and a lowered seat, it is still a handful until you are underway. Confidence comes with practice and repetition. I never back this beast up without dismounting and pushing it by hand for it is much easier than trying to pick it up.

Good luck!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My preload wasn't even functional until Larry showed me how to flush and refill it. My bike is a 2012 but wasn't sold until 2016 and only has 20K miles. The hose was filled with a white lard like substance and very little oil in the line. After completing the service I am at 4 clicks, I weigh 200lbs with no top box, and it is working perfectly. I am very happy with the change in handling.
Yes, this 10 year old forum tech article contains many helpful hints on servicing the preload adjuster: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-pre-load-fluid-replacement.106715/

But what I'm talking about in Post #65 is that with a functional preload mechanism 7 clicks might get sag in the ball park for a very light rider. At your weight you need many more than 4 clicks of preload to get sag in the correct range.... then when you check static sag the shock will be topped out which indicates the spring is too soft for your weight. Textbook stuff but until you have good suspension you don't know how bad the stock stuff is.

What are your sag numbers?

I understand your anxiety and apprehension as I have the same feelings. I went from an '81 Interstate with 146K that I rode for 24 years and replaced it with an '04 ST. My first outing of the year is filled with anxiety even getting it out of the garage, getting it down the driveway, and out in the street. It takes me about 25-30 miles and multiple stops to get reasonably comfortable again. The ST has 57K on it now and it has never been dropped yet. One of the issues is that I ride a 919 regularly while the ST is relegated to 1-2 per year for a long trip.

At 5' 7" with a 27 inch inseam and a lowered seat, it is still a handful until you are underway. Confidence comes with practice and repetition. I never back this beast up without dismounting and pushing it by hand for it is much easier than trying to pick it up.

Good luck!
I'm the same height and inseam as you. I just got my PAG and have never ridden it yet. I'm sure I'll drop it. I hope I can get the crash bars on before I do.

JJ

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It's only heavy, like to over heavy, when it's not rolling under it's own power.

Assume it turns slower than you think and work on your cornering. Lean forward on the bike, that improves everything in is handling.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Yes, this 10 year old forum tech article contains many helpful hints on servicing the preload adjuster: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-pre-load-fluid-replacement.106715/

But what I'm talking about in Post #65 is that with a functional preload mechanism 7 clicks might get sag in the ball park for a very light rider. At your weight you need many more than 4 clicks of preload to get sag in the correct range.... then when you check static sag the shock will be topped out which indicates the spring is too soft for your weight. Textbook stuff but until you have good suspension you don't know how bad the stock stuff is.

What are your sag numbers?
I don't have my actual numbers yet Dave. I went with Larry's experience and adjusted it to his recommendation. I need an additional person to get my numbers and my wife is not interested in helping :) I plan on going out to Larry's in March and can get the numbers than. I will post how close we came or how far off after we take the measurements. I saw the video you did getting your sag numbers.

gordow88

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 st1300
I stopped riding in about 1990 when I had a beautiful Suzuki GS850G - and then I returned in 2015 when I bought a used 2007 Honda ST1300. Yup, it was heavy and powerful but what a machine! I got the hang of it and enjoyed it very much until I sold it just before Christmas. The only major issue I had was the failure of the clutch slave cylinder - about which I wrote an article. Fortunately, that seemingly very common problem is also pretty easy to remedy.

My advice to you with your new ST1300 is: be cautious and make sure that you are very well organized before you start to release the clutch. The ST1300 is a very fast but tractable bike with (IMO - but others may differ) good throttle response and truly excellent low-speed handling that somehow masks its weight and high centre of gravity amazingly well. But make no mistake, that bike is heavy and weight is up high - particularly when the fuel tank is full (there is 60 lbs of gasoline in the tank when it is full).

The only problem you might have, (aside from getting it onto the centrestand - which is actually pretty easy if you do it right) - could happen if you try to lean it over at low speed and something goes wrong and you have to stop quickly - or if you don't get your feet under you when actually stopped. That could easily result in a "tip-over" and let me assure you, it ain't easy to stop an ST that wants to lie down and have a snooze.

Other than that, have fun with your new bike and pay attention to which gear you are in. The ST is so smooth and comfy that it is quite easy to find yourself roaring along a freeway at 70 MPH in 4th gear (or possibly even 3rd - DAMHIK).

Pete
A full tank of gas would be 48.5 lbs. 7.7 gal x 6.3 lbs per gallon.

OP
OP
Ralf_CT
Bike
2012 PCX150
I must confess, this "apprehensive new ST1300 owner" has decided to let the bike go after a mere 4 weeks of ownership and less than 50km of riding. I would probably have kept it if I hadn't taken a 20-year break from riding between 1994 and 2014, and 30 years since I last owned a Gold Wing Interstate. Training, practice and time may have changed my mind, but at this point I feel more comfortable on a maxi-scooter. It's now with someone who will really appreciate and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I must confess, this "apprehensive new ST1300 owner" has decided to let the bike go after a mere 4 weeks of ownership and less than 50km of riding. I would probably have kept it if I hadn't taken a 30-year break from riding between 1994 and 2014. Training, practice and time may have changed my mind, but at this point I feel more comfortable on a maxi-scooter. It's now with someone who will really appreciate and enjoy it.
Everyone has to decide their own comfort zone. Enjoy your ride and be safe!

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I must confess, this "apprehensive new ST1300 owner" has decided to let the bike go after a mere 4 weeks of ownership and less than 50km of riding. I would probably have kept it if I hadn't taken a 30-year break from riding between 1994 and 2014. Training, practice and time may have changed my mind, but at this point I feel more comfortable on a maxi-scooter. It's now with someone who will really appreciate and enjoy it.
I went 40 years without a ride, and like an idiot, i went out and bought a 1100! I have to say the first few weeks i was petrified. I didnt know i was a beginner again. I had to make myself go to the garage and mount up. So, i understand his apprehension. I swear that bike wanted to kill me!
But after a while tje bike and i decided to get along.

Sterno

2003 ST1300
Was in the same sitch not long ago. The cops ride in the friction zone at 4k rpm, eating clutches, but the gyro effect is awesome. If you haven't taken the intermediate course I'm pretty sure you would dig it. Consider even use their student level 300cc bikes. Sounds stupid, but the learning and increased confidence was worth every penny at least for me.

Oh, and TAKE YOUR TIME when it comes to putting down the side stand and loading it with the bike. Push your bike around, learn to notice the difference in a road grade that is not level. You are on a great adventure... take your time and enjoy it! Cheers!

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
I see that even though Ralf_CT has decided to sell his STeed, one thing I did not see mentioned was to wear good m/c boots with good traction. Planting your foot securely can go a long way in avoiding a dropped bike. Once a ST starts to tip, it's quite a challenge to stop its fall. IMHO, tennis shoes do not suffice. All great advice here. :thumb:

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I bought my 96 1100 last spring. It had 13,300 on it. With that short riding history, miles wise, im certain the st has scared the crap out of more than one rider. It has more power than any sane man needs and im not shocked at all if it frightens people. Scared the hell out of me! Persistance and patience were a priceless resourse.

The weight is a great thing stable at high speed and planted in corners i love it every other bike feels like a toy in comparison. Having dropped it many a time here would be my recommend tips.
1. if you use a disc lock get one with a alarm to warn you you forgot to remove it. abus detecto is very good.
2. be aware of any inclines like curbs etc when going slow speed.
3. when parking dont park on anything that looks like your facing downhill because backing a pan up on any slope is work.
4. get a bit of string cut it to the length of the mirrors if your ever riding down hill towards a narrow gap park walk down and check with the string. again you don't want to get to the gap and find out the bike doesn't fit and you cant turn round.
5. dont be cocky and try to full lock turn the bike slowly two up. Ask your pillion to get off.
6. invest in switchbacks and novsight led headlights both will help you get noticed more especially at night
7. have fun they are amazing bikes and invest in some protective mods like rad guard and fenda extendas in the FB group in files is a 1300 document about mods it includes every upgrade you can put on a pan

Top Bottom