Are BMW's Overrated ?

So I am looking at C14's (haven't found one to test), K1200GT, K1300GT, and the ST is still in the hunt. I tested an FJR and although the bike was a great performer, it felt just a little too small for me (I am on the big side of large). I really like the BMW. Expensive? yes. I did see that BMW of Daytona has a couple of K1300GT demo's with the Preferred package going for $16,500 with like 2000 miles on them. So that is not terrible.

The cost of maintenance scares me a little but then so does the quality of the Honda dealers around me. The ones around here rarely see an ST and the quality of the mechanics are, well, mediocre at best. The BMW service guys seem like pros.

Ultimately it is a personal decision as to what fits you and your style. I haven't made up my mind yet but in the mean time I am trying to pile up :money1:
I think just getting to the engine on the GT is gonna be more expensive (like the Honda) if you don't do it yourself. The nice thing about the RT is the boxer heads are easier to get to for the valve checks.

Bike
BMW R1150RT
BMW has been pushing hard over the past several years to get their dealers to commit to being exclusive dealers. "Pushing" is probably too polite of a word, based on the discussions I've heard about.

The interesting sideline ... while the two main BMW dealers I deal with in Texas are multi-vendor, both of the dealers I dealt with during the IBR were exclusive BMW shops. The one in Orange County had some VERY nicely restored older models (like a 1923 R32 that was on display from inside the parts counter).

BMW dealers might be far apart, but I've never had any problem getting my bike on a lift when needed while on the road, and have been able to get shops to open on days they're normally closed (the Orange County shop stayed open until midnight on a Sunday night waiting for me). Granted, the ST would have gone rally distance without needing service (at least during the event), but as someone who hasn't had time to do their own service in a long while ... they (BMW dealers) make dealer service easier than any other make I've ridden.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, only that they're different and different people have different wants/needs.
I'm not sure they are pushing that up this way. The BMW dealership in Naperville, Ill., Tag Sports, went out of business recently. The new BMW dealer in Naperville is NV Motors, which is a Polaris and Victory dealership. They got the BMW brand the day before I bought my bike from them, so technically I was the first guy to buy a Beemer from them as a true BMW dealer, even though it was a comission sale for a private owner. But they asked for and received the BMW brand, and to my knowledge they didn't have to dump the other brands they have now. They got it because they were doing all the service for the Beemer owners in the area. A couple of the guys who used to work over at Tag are now working for NV Motors, so they kind of know how to do the service stuff on BMWs.

And yes, I would recommend them.

Update: I just read over on the BMWMOA forum that NV Motors of Naperville is dropping the Victory Polaris brand, and going full BMW line in January. So my 'knowledge' has been corrected. I don't know if they were told that it was the only way to get the brand, but it sounds like they are switching product lines.

Rode a K1300GT at Mid-Ohio Vintage Days this past July. Wonderful bike that just needed an aftermarket windscreen maybe and BMW sport grips since the stockers were sorta like ST1300 stock grips. Really, really liked the bike and with only 2 CHEAP nits to address. Super usable power and really comfortable seat/riding position for me. Just felt EAGER, ready to go, roll on the throttle baby!

The people running the demos were great, friendly, loved to talk bikes, really enthusiatic (as is the Kawa Demo folks). Quick to say "Hey, when you get back from riding the R1200RT you gotta ride the GS1200 Adventure" type of hospitality. Friends of mine that have visited BMW dealers tell me they get treated great with demo rides offered freely.

If I had the money I'd buy a K1300GT tomorrow. If I had the money to buy a K1300GT I'd also be able to buy the ST version of the VFR1200 as a stablemate when it is released:).

When I hop on my ST for the ride home from Vintage Days I always think that it is SO much nicer to ride than even the best of the best bikes I've demo'd - except for the K1300GT.

Really hoping the ST version of the new VFR crushes the Beemer.

Bike
ST
STOC #
I tend to agree with many points made - The GT is on the short list for myself if the beloved ST has to be replaced tomorrow.

But if I got a GT I'd;
avoid the electronic suspension - I'm un-impressed with how it actually works. The changes between the modes are noticable, but the results are not worth the cost IMHO. I'd rather put a custom suspension from someone like RaceTech (as I have on the ST) which is more tuneable, and can be rebuilt.

fall-over protection - add a frame slider and be real careful. (yea, you still end up with a hole in the bodywork)

I'd do the same if I picked an R/RT - which is also on the short list.

But I'll probably wait until '12 for the VFR1200T - 1 year after the 'planned' production release - give them a chance to de-bug.

I tend to agree with many points made - The GT is on the short list for myself if the beloved ST has to be replaced tomorrow.

But if I got a GT I'd;
avoid the electronic suspension - I'm un-impressed with how it actually works. The changes between the modes are noticable, but the results are not worth the cost IMHO. I'd rather put a custom suspension from someone like RaceTech (as I have on the ST) which is more tuneable, and can be rebuilt.

fall-over protection - add a frame slider and be real careful. (yea, you still end up with a hole in the bodywork)

I'd do the same if I picked an R/RT - which is also on the short list.

But I'll probably wait until '12 for the VFR1200T - 1 year after the 'planned' production release - give them a chance to de-bug.
Don't forget the mods to put skis on 'em, gonna need them in MI :D

Bike
BMW R1150RT
Rode a K1300GT at Mid-Ohio Vintage Days this past July. Wonderful bike that just needed an aftermarket windscreen maybe and BMW sport grips since the stockers were sorta like ST1300 stock grips. Really, really liked the bike and with only 2 CHEAP nits to address. Super usable power and really comfortable seat/riding position for me. Just felt EAGER, ready to go, roll on the throttle baby!

The people running the demos were great, friendly, loved to talk bikes, really enthusiatic (as is the Kawa Demo folks). Quick to say "Hey, when you get back from riding the R1200RT you gotta ride the GS1200 Adventure" type of hospitality. Friends of mine that have visited BMW dealers tell me they get treated great with demo rides offered freely.

If I had the money I'd buy a K1300GT tomorrow. If I had the money to buy a K1300GT I'd also be able to buy the ST version of the VFR1200 as a stablemate when it is released:).

When I hop on my ST for the ride home from Vintage Days I always think that it is SO much nicer to ride than even the best of the best bikes I've demo'd - except for the K1300GT.

Really hoping the ST version of the new VFR crushes the Beemer.
I hope that Honda and BMW really start pushing each other to build better and better bikes, giving all of us a great choice between the two. That would be much better than having one bike be way better than the other, especially when it comes down to price vs value.

just a few thoughts ...

1. The ST1100 underwent a MAJOR revision in 1996 - it got ABS/TCS/LBS plus Radial Tires, 43mm front fork, and 40 Amp alt plus a few other things, that's why my 2002 ST1100A is still relatively up to date :)

2. Only BMW offers ESA, nobody else even comes close.

3. Only BMW offers ABS on *every single model* nobody else even tries.

4. BMW is a lifestyle, just like Harley Davidson - don't believe me ? see EU ;)

5. BMW's are expensive in the USA because the U is losing value while the Euro keeps going up.

6. The number of dealers in the USA is small compared to Honda - but world wide there are tons of BMW dealers - you can get that rear drive replaced in Argentina or Australia or Angola - TRY THAT WITH A GOLD WING ... HA!

7. more 'around the world' guys choose BMW than anything else.

8. more 'IBA' guys choose BMW than anything else.

to each his own ... I enjoyed BMW ownership for awhile .... went back to Japanese but one day come back to the fatherland ... almost traded my ZZR1200 for a K1200S !!!! ... hmmmm K1200S ... hmmmmm :D
Nice, but you may want to revisit #8, as more BMW riders went to Honda this year for the IBR. I should talk, I happen to have a BMW in my garage now cuz Honda dropped the ball on other styles that I like.

Bike
BMW R1150RT
While I don't have that much seat time on my 04 1150RT, I would rate it very high so far. The seating position works so well for me that even with my tailbone injury, I believe I could stand long days in the saddle. That upright position with no pain was the final reason I bought the RT. I also had a chance to get an 06 ST1300 with almost the same miles for the same price. I had looked at and sat on both bikes the very same day. But the RT seat and riding position was more comfortable for me, so I bought it. It was like they made the bike to fit me. All my other bikes I had to adjust to fit.

I wish I could have afforded a new 1200RT, as that was just as comfortable as the 1150RT, but spending close to 20 grand on a bike wasn't in my budget. I only had about half that amount to spend. And it was very hard for me to choose between the ST and RT, due to my other recent bikes being V4's. I couldn't really afford an expensive bike such as a new 1200RT, or even a new ST, so comparing apples to apples wasn't easy, either. They really are different bikes, each with it's own strong points and weak points. I have a BMW dealer within 50 miles of my house, and have Honda dealers closer than that. So travel for service wasn't an issue.

Maybe the ST is underrated?

Bike
2013 K1600GT
Don't know about 2 wheel BMW's, but I've owned and own 4 wheel BMW's, their great! I currently own a 335xi, which as you can see from my avatar is now a DINAN 3. Just can't wait till the runflats go bald so I can put some decent tires on it. I heard the same things about BMW cars, "their prone to mech failures, electric problems",, blaw, blaw, blaw. None of that has happened to any BMW I've owned, their rock solid cars. So I assume (I know *****-u-me) they make a quality MC as well. My PD has them (1300 model) and they love them.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
They are going away from that on some models. The K1300S & I think at least one other model now has a <proper> turn signal switch.

HD - they won't change..... :rolleyes:

MCN and Motorcyclist both reviewed the new K13 with the one-switch turn signal system and said (1) Hallelujah!, and (2) too bad it failed on our test ride.

As far as why don't we mention H-D's switch system, I thought I'd be true to the thread title, but since you brought it up, it's just as nutty to have three switches on a Harley.

Bike
BMW R1150RT
And three turn signal switches!
Actually, I only have two that work the signals, left and right. They are self cancelling, which is sometimes a pain, as they shut down too quickly. But I don't have to remember to shut them off, either.

The turn signal cancel button is switched for my PIAA lights. I just press it, release, then press and hold for 3-4 seconds. Works pretty slick.

Bike
BMW R1150RT
Don't know about 2 wheel BMW's, but I've owned and own 4 wheel BMW's, their great! I currently own a 335xi, which as you can see from my avatar is now a DINAN 3. Just can't wait till the runflats go bald so I can put some decent tires on it. I heard the same things about BMW cars, "their prone to mech failures, electric problems",, blaw, blaw, blaw. None of that has happened to any BMW I've owned, their rock solid cars. So I assume (I know *****-u-me) they make a quality MC as well. My PD has them (1300 model) and they love them.
I hope to get a BMW Z3/4/8/M...whatever some day. I really like the looks of those 2 seat roadster Bimmers. OF course, the others are nice, too.

Bike
2013 K1600GT
When my wife was alive, we looked at the Z3/Z4, but it was too short for tall ppl. I'm only 5'10", but my wife was almost 6'. The S2000 actually had more head room. I also like the looks of the Z3/Z4, they only come in rear wheel drive :(

Top Bottom