Are BMW's Overrated ?

Bike
2013 K1600GT
Yes, it was the cruiser I think before BMW went all out for the LT model. It's called the James Bond motorcycle, looks cool, it has AM/FW/CD, but I'm starting to lean more towards the R1150RT. As I said, I wouldn't mind buying a 1200RT, but the price on the 1150RT is a good price. I know its 15HP rated under the 1200RT, but I don't think thats a big deal. there aren't a lot of 1200RT's out there for sale.

STOC #
OK, since you guys are a wealth of BMW knowledge, let me tap into those big brains,,how do you guys like the R1200CLC models? I know they are under powered a bit (61hp) I don't ride 2 up, they seem set up well for long distance riding. I'm not looking for a rocket, but a MC that will get me there and back in comfort, and still have some balls! The LT models seem too big unless your riding 2 up a lot, like the wing. I'm looking for a good all around MC that I can take around town, but be able to hit the road as well. I had a ST1300, and it was very nice, but I do like the looks of the BMW's. I know the maintenence is a bit more for the BMW's as opposed to the Hondas, Kawa, Yam, bikes, but I know guys that have put thousands of carefree miles on their Bimmers. I really don't want to buy new, as there are lots of low mileage used BMW's out there. The R1150RT, R1200RT, and R1200CLC are the three MC's I'm looking at. Problem is I have found a very sweet 04' 1150RT for $8K, with only 10K miles on it, and a 03' 1200CLC for $7.5K with only 4800miles on it, but all of the 1200RT's are over $15K, so I might settle for a little less MC if its half the price. I respect your opinions and input on these MC's. S2000-DAVE
Dave,

You are referring to the very short lived touring model of the R1200C cruiser line, introduced in 2002 as a 2003 model and discontinued in 2004 with the rest of the R1200C models. I know a little about them... yes, they are a bit underpowered for their size. But they are pretty comfortable from what I hear. They do have cruise control, which was unheard of on the R1150 series of bikes that they were based off of (not to be confused with the current R1200 hexheads from 2005 on).

One thing I do know is that they were not big sellers... in fact, a good two years after they were out of production, my local dealer were assembling some right out of the crate for a special deal that BMWNA was offering to the local BMW Manufacturing employees to purchase... they were being sold as new for about 10K.

They are fully loaded bikes though... heated grips, full fairing and all that. Pretty sedate bike, trying to appeal with the Harley baggers, but unfortunately the Euro design did not appeal to them... I don't know what will... you know BMW, they go their own way and do stand out.

Hope that helps some.

Bike
ST1300
gotta agree that honda does not promote the ST very much but around here the dealer did not know what an ST was, I bought local to build a relationship with them and buy some filter,s from them also, could not afford the beemer but like Joe said I would buy the connie or the fjr to fit my style and budget better than the beemer, only 2 dealers near, or do I mean 100 miles plus away, but if you can afford then you must must

Bike
2013 K1600GT
THX Chris, yes thats the MC I was wondering about. Thank all of you for the input. I just found a beautiful 05' R1200RT (Red) with 6K miles on it, and a top box, on craigslist. Just listed, the guy's asking $12.5K, I think the R1200CLC is out, but now it's between the 04' R1150RT at $8K, and the 05' R1200RT at $12.5K. I'll keep you posted!

STOC #
THX Chris, yes thats the MC I was wondering about. Thank all of you for the input. I just found a beautiful 05' R1200RT (Red) with 6K miles on it, and a top box, on craigslist. Just listed, the guy's asking $12.5K, I think the R1200CLC is out, but now it's between the 04' R1150RT at $8K, and the 05' R1200RT at $12.5K. I'll keep you posted!
The 2005 RT to which you refer (first model year and is Piedmont Red) is much nicer than the 04.. the price is a little high for the 05 excluding miles... with that low of mileage, then the price may be in line... the top case, if the 49 Liter, not the smaller all black 29 Liter, retails for $830.00 plus the cost of keying the lock. I love that color, btw... I had my choice of it or the Granite Gray and chose the Granite Gray because of the lower fairing color (black, which I liked better... you have the option of on each color of the bike to have either silver or black lower fairings and the Red in stock had the silver, which I did not personally like).

The 04 you are looking at would have to have a lot of accessories and not that much mileage on it to compete with the 05 in my opinion. If you could test each, that would seal it in my opinion.

Good luck...

Getting ready to go on a short hop into NC on my RT after I sign off here. Yahoo!

Bike
'09 ST1300
Dave, I traded '04 RT for ST1300. RT was a nice bike but those power assisted brakes (servo) drove me nuts. I think '05 still have the same set-up (servo brakes). If you can, get newer one without plus the FD will come with a drain plug unlike '05. Just my two cents.

Bike
2013 K1600GT
Just put $500 down on a 08' FJR1300A. Very nice bike, almost brandnew, 600 miles on her! Comes with 3 Y.E.S. and 2 year maint contract (additional $75 to transfer to my name) $9800 (including taxes) out the door! Bought it at Foothills BMW here in Denver, loved looking at the BMW's, but the cost was the deal breaker on those, and the deal maker on the FJR. I'll be back in the saddle in a few months, when my hip surgery is all healed up :hurt1: Thx for the input on the bikes.

Bike
SSM '91 ST1100
STOC #
Great Thread! :hat4:

My search for a great Road Bike started with the BMW R1200RT New. :bmwkick1:
It had everything I wanted.

I soon went to the only local dealer in town and was literally ignored, so I started some inquiries to their service department (Slow for civilians, great for LEO's) 3 weeks for a service seemed too much. I think that is why so many local people work on there own BMW's, except for the mandatory routine maintenance (so I hear). :chatter:

I start looking for comparable bikes and the ST1300 quickly rose to the top of the list. :clap2:
There are at least three local Honda dealerships in town and all were happy to spend time answering my barrage of questions. :chat1:

Well, I settled for the ST1100, but don't feel the least bit disappointed at all! :1st:

So until somebody wants to get rid of there ST1300 for a newer model, I'll wait patiently.:capwin:

And No I don't think there overrated at all, just overpriced! :hyp1:

Good thread. As an owner of a K1200rs se (04) and an R1200rt se (05), I would say that BMWs are neither over nor underrated; they are just different.

The K1200rs is supremely comfortable for rider and pillion, but for touring, is let down by a miserable tank range, small tank bag and small left hand pannier (scooped away for the exhaust). It is a bit heavy (285kg) around town and picking it up out of hairpins, but otherwise handles very well. Everything else is great. It is a 'natural' ride and is surprisingly quick for such a heavy machine. It accelerates much faster than a Pan, having 130 bhp and being a tad lighter. Adjustable bars and pegs, 2 position manually adjustable screen. all help for a perfect set-up. The overall impression is of a VFR750 on steroids but is not affected by crosswinds like a VFR. Top speed is over 150mph, although some markets have top speed limited to 142mph. Engine sounds great and is really smooth except for an irritating tingle at around 4,250 to 4,500 rpm.

The RT is light (229kg) and feels more powerful than it's 110bhp would suggest; surprising nimble for its size. Lots of extras, including heated seat and grips, electric suspension adjustment, and windscreen. On board computer with finger tip control for readouts of ambient temperature, average speed, mpg etc. Not as smooth as the K or the Pan, but not too rough either. Much better than older boxers I have ridden and owned. Way down on top speed, but happy cruising at 110mph. In the twisties it is particularly good, better than a Pan, better than a GS (2009 model) in my experience. I often travel in company with a Pan rider, and he says the RT is quicker in places like the Swiss Alps and the Pyrenees. It is very stable, good brakes and has no problem changing line in mid corner. It is comfortable enough, not as comfortable as the k1200rs or the Pan, although it has better wind protection with little or no turbulence for rider or pillion. The gearbox could be better, the seat is a bit wide, and if one wants to be really picky it sounds horrible, although the engine takes on a distinct rasp when chasing the revs in 3rd and 4th gears. The engine feels unburstable, is flexible, but not as flexible as the Pan or the k1200rs two-up. It runs out of steam at around 125mph. The foot pegs are a bit iffy as the rubbers tend to twist on the shanks. Big tank bag, top box and panniers. Good tank range, just short of 300 miles if you are careful.

Despite all these 'good' points, the RT a difficult bike to recommend to someone coming straight from a Japanese machine. Gearbox, throttle (comparative heaviness and travel), front tyre, suspension and steering all seem a bit vague at first. The headlight is not as good as it looks. All in all, I reckon that the RT is an acquired taste. It goes and handles better than it looks and is easy to ride. Having said that, I would have had a Pan were it not for the weave, although they are more expensive in the UK.

Bike
2013 K1600GT
To all on this thread,,thank you for the imput on the bikes. As I said earlier I bought a Black 08' FJR1300A. The hip is healing very nicely, Took the bike out the last few days for a little twistie fun. The bike is all I thought it would be. Handles excellent, and has all of the power I will ever need. Hopefully I'll see some of you down the road,,,,,S2000-Dave :06biker:

Bike
2015 FJR1300
To all on this thread,,thank you for the imput on the bikes. As I said earlier I bought a Black 08' FJR1300A. The hip is healing very nicely, Took the bike out the last few days for a little twistie fun. The bike is all I thought it would be. Handles excellent, and has all of the power I will ever need. Hopefully I'll see some of you down the road,,,,,S2000-Dave :06biker:
Dave a review of the bike once you put some miles on her would be greatly appreciated.

Bike
2013 K1600GT
dkjkwood,,,I would be more than happy to express my opinion of the bike in the near future. I was thinking of taking it to NM soon. I have a friend that lives in Los Alamos,,I will get back to you guys in the short term..again, thank you for all of your input, it made the decision very easy, this is one of the best websites around, you guys/guyettes are very knowledgeable and experienced in the art of motorcycles. Thank all of you.

Top Bottom