Avon STorms?????

I have Storms on my ST1100 and so far they've been good. I had them on a Kawasaki ZZR1100 as well and I liked them. I've been using PR2's on my Yamaha BT1100.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is funny how we have different impressions of the same tires. My Avon Storm experience is limited to AV55/AV56 Storms but lots of it with 40,000 miles. When I put on Michelin PR2s I immediately had less confidence on them. They lack the feedback in both dry and wet conditions that Storms gave me and aren't as stable at any time. I then ran a pair of Bridgestone 023s and liked them very much. I couldn't tell any difference between them and Storms. Now I am back on the same set of PR2s as they only had 3000 miles on them when the 023s were offered. I put the PRs back on and look forward to replacing them with 023s or Ultra 2s. The PR2s aren't terrible or anything I am just used to better feel on the roads I ride the way I ride them.

I think that tire feedback is a very subjective area. In the beginning, everything seems great simply because it is new and different. But then, a bad experience on a wet day or something unexpected when you are not paying attention, and suddenly your level of satisfaction changes.

I've been riding on an ME880 that started cupping a year ago, and has been a constant source of noise and vibration ever since (I'm too cheap not to wear it out first). Even though it has given me high mileage, I won't buy another one for this bike.

At this point, ANY new tires will seem fantastic in comparison. I'm still waiting on my Storm 2 Ultra's to arrive.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Well, today it rained harder and longer. I did some pretty good leans after I got a good feel of the Avon's... several traffic circles with some good leans too. Gotta say I feel a bit better about them today :bow1: I even screamed down a few black top and rain grooved slab that were rain covered... handled great. :bow1:

I'm going to attribute the tar snake episode to surface oil... and I'm going to stick to it :eek::

I'm going to bump the PSI up to 42, they did 38PSI at the dealer. ;)

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
It is funny how we have different impressions of the same tires. My Avon Storm experience is limited to AV55/AV56 Storms but lots of it with 40,000 miles. When I put on Michelin PR2s I immediately had less confidence on them. They lack the feedback in both dry and wet conditions that Storms gave me and aren't as stable at any time. I then ran a pair of Bridgestone 023s and liked them very much. I couldn't tell any difference between them and Storms. Now I am back on the same set of PR2s as they only had 3000 miles on them when the 023s were offered. I put the PRs back on and look forward to replacing them with 023s or Ultra 2s. The PR2s aren't terrible or anything I am just used to better feel on the roads I ride the way I ride them.
I like the PR2's, but they feel... spongy(?)... vague(?)... floaty(?)... when rolling on the throttle in corners if the road isn't smooth. I think the sidewalls are a bit soft and flex to much(?).

After my run up to Hyder, I'll have a real eval of the Avons :D

Yeah, I think you have to stick with 42 front and rear, at least for the inital evaluation period. It forms a good baseline for subjective comparison. I think that 4 psi difference can be significant on the ST13.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Yeah, I think you have to stick with 42 front and rear, at least for the inital evaluation period. It forms a good baseline for subjective comparison. I think that 4 psi difference can be significant on the ST13.
I ride a C14 :D

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, today it rained harder and longer. I did some pretty good leans after I got a good feel of the Avon's... several traffic circles with some good leans too. Gotta say I feel a bit better about them today :bow1: I even screamed down a few black top and rain grooved slab that were rain covered... handled great. :bow1:

I'm going to attribute the tar snake episode to surface oil... and I'm going to stick to it :eek::

I'm going to bump the PSI up to 42, they did 38PSI at the dealer. ;)
I liked my ST1300 with 36-38 on the front and 38-40 rear solo with Storms and they worn very evenly at these pressures. Because the PR2s have a proclivity to wear lumpy I have been keeping them 42/42. Perhaps Saturday I'll let the pressure down in the front to 38 and try that.

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
I know many use the Avons and have had success with them, but here's my experience with them: I installed a set of new Storm 2 Ultras on my ST1300A. Immediately experienced a slight bar wiggle at 45 and contacted Avon for comment (via their website contact tool). They were very responsive, and I got the reply within two days. The tires were same size/rating as stock, etc.

Worth noting is this reply came from Avon USA, not a local distributor or dealer: Feel free to contact them if you have questions.

Hi Tim, the tire that was purchased for your bike is not recommended. We do not offer a tire that will work on your bike. If you are having issues with out of round I would recommend returning the tires to your dealer for warranty and getting something that is recommended.

Kevin Corbett
Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek/Avon Motorcycle
Technical Service Representative
1-800-222-9092
Ext.3169

Bridgestone does offer two "ST1300 approved" tires: the 020 and the 023. Dunlop one, the 220. My guess is its all about the radial ply being supported by the circumferential cord construction common in these three tires keeping the tread attached to the core. In the BTs its called MonoSpiral. In the Dunlops its Jointless Band.

And here's Dunlops opinion:

Always make sure that the tires recommended for your bike appear in a written form. In other words, don't follow someone's personal recommendation. It is too critical a situation, and one rider's preference does not necessarily suit another's. Take the advice of the professionals: the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know many use the Avons and have had success with them, but here's my experience with them: I installed a set of new Storm 2 Ultras on my ST1300A. Immediately experienced a slight bar wiggle at 45 and contacted Avon for comment (via their website contact tool). They were very responsive, and I got the reply within two days. The tires were same size/rating as stock, etc.

Worth noting is this reply came from Avon USA, not a local distributor or dealer: Feel free to contact them if you have questions.

Hi Tim, the tire that was purchased for your bike is not recommended. We do not offer a tire that will work on your bike. If you are having issues with out of round I would recommend returning the tires to your dealer for warranty and getting something that is recommended.

Kevin Corbett
Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek/Avon Motorcycle
Technical Service Representative
1-800-222-9092
Ext.3169

Bridgestone does offer two "ST1300 approved" tires: the 020 and the 023. Dunlop one, the 220. My guess is its all about the radial ply being supported by the circumferential cord construction common in these three tires keeping the tread attached to the core. In the BTs its called MonoSpiral. In the Dunlops its Jointless Band.

And here's Dunlops opinion:

Always make sure that the tires recommended for your bike appear in a written form. In other words, don't follow someone's personal recommendation. It is too critical a situation, and one rider's preference does not necessarily suit another's. Take the advice of the professionals: the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.
This not the first time Avon makes a similar comment but the fact remains that while there are only two recommended tires for the ST1300: the OEM fitment Bridgestone 020 (F model) and the OEM fitment Dunlop 220 many owners select other tires from these two and other manufacturers and have experienced good service for many millions of owner-miles.

Some common sense is required by choosing tires in the correct size, load index, and speed rating.

OP
OP
Down Under
Bike
08 ST1300A
I'm leaning toward the manufacturers recommendations. It's hard to argue against Avon's recommendation when they are responsible for the engineering, development and research into a particular tyres suitability for a certain motorcycle, after all they are the experts in this area.

Thanks for your input but I'm going with a set of Michelin PR2's. Yep....they are recommended by Michelin for the ST1300. :)

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I'm leaning toward the manufacturers recommendations. It's hard to argue against Avon's recommendation when they are responsible for the engineering, development and research into a particular tyres suitability for a certain motorcycle, after all they are the experts in this area.

Thanks for your input but I'm going with a set of Michelin PR2's. Yep....they are recommended by Michelin for the ST1300. :)
Good choice I prefer these on the ST1300

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
Some common sense is required by choosing tires in the correct size, load index, and speed rating.
What I found just plain frustrating is that I matched tire sizes and load ratings to the bike requirements. Yet the tire wasn't "correct". The Storm 2's felt good - better than OEM tire feel, and close to how my BT021's felt (gave up on BT021's due to a 5600 front tire mile life).

I now have BT023s on, and they make the bike feel a tad heavier - but I prefer the extra control it allows (requires intentional input to change a radius).

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What I found just plain frustrating is that I matched tire sizes and load ratings to the bike requirements. Yet the tire wasn't "correct". The Storm 2's felt good - better than OEM tire feel, and close to how my BT021's felt (gave up on BT021's due to a 5600 front tire mile life).

I now have BT023s on, and they make the bike feel a tad heavier - but I prefer the extra control it allows (requires intentional input to change a radius).
I am one in the camp that as long as the tire meets the specs on the DOT placard on the bike and in the service manual I might run the tire and see for myself and not let a legal department make the decision for me. I know coffee is hot and not to unclog my lawnmower chute while the mower is running.

I am not an old timer around here - there are plenty of riders with more time and experience than I do but I have run a variety of tires by Bridgestone, Metzeler, and Michelin in the soon to be 80K on my ST1300. Only one was recommended [by Honda] and that was the OEM 020's which I did not like and did not refit. In the time I have owned my ST the riders on this forum alone have racked up 10 or 15 million miles with no known record of accident or injury due to running an "incorrect tire". I settled on the Avon AV55/AV56 Storm as my favorite and ran them for 40,000 miles. During that time a few instances of riders having problems with low speed or decel headshake wobbles were noted - I had it once with a worn tire myself but it lots of bikes have decel wobble and the Avon Storm seems more likely to provoke it than others. But overall I really liked the tire. If I were you I would have just asked for a replacement and moved on with life. I liked the 023s I ran very much and might run another set, lets just say they aren't on my list of crossed-off tires I won't run. The 023s and Storms (first gen) are very similar to me in feel and wear. The 023 rear refused to flatspot like a Storm did by 4 or 5 thousand miles and that gives it extra points in my estimation. A good tire by my lights.

Avon Storms are great for lower speed twisty type driving (65 mph and lower). I?ve only used one on the front with the Battle Axe on the rear. I still have the Avon storm on front and I like it more the more it wears. Storms come to a point in the center so they give you quick leaning and turning with little effort. This quick control works against you when you?re passing a semi truck at 80 mph down the freeway when you?re in turbulence :eek:. I was on I-80 leaving on a trip when I first installed the Storm on the front :eek:. I got used to it. The more it wears down it seems like the more stable it is becoming. I think I have a new Battle Axe in the basement, but I would not hesitate to install a Storm again.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Avon Storms are great for lower speed twisty type driving (65 mph and lower). I’ve only used one on the front with the Battle Axe on the rear. I still have the Avon storm on front and I like it more the more it wears. Storms come to a point in the center so they give you quick leaning and turning with little effort. This quick control works against you when you’re passing a semi truck at 80 mph down the freeway when you’re in turbulence :eek:. I was on I-80 leaving on a trip when I first installed the Storm on the front :eek:. I got used to it. The more it wears down it seems like the more stable it is becoming. I think I have a new Battle Axe in the basement, but I would not hesitate to install a Storm again.
I find the Avon's don't turn in as quick as the PR2's... I find them pretty neutral myself. I'll find out how stable they are during the winter coming up :eek:: The PR2's were sticky enough during 20* weather.

I think I'll give the Pirelli Angels a go the next time around since I'm hearing good things about them :)

Bike
st1300
Just put a set of Avon Storms on my ST1300. Only have about 300 miles on them but really like them. Bike seems about 100 lbs. lighter and very stable in corners. I like them better then the 020's and much better than the 021's that I had previously on the bike. Can't comment on the wear yet but so far the Avon's have really improved the handling, much quicker reacting to any steering input you give the bike and just feels more planted.

My Avon Storm 2 Ultra's were installed on Friday, July 9 and on July 11, I left Vancouver, bound for Boston, MA. I arrived in Plymouth, MA 5.5 days and 3400 miles later.

My initial impressions on this trip:

The tires are comfortable at 75 - 80 MPH highway speeds. I initially, found them more stable and less quick to turn in (more neutral) than the Z6 front and ME880 rear combo that I had on before.

They are very neutral, and stable in long sweeping turns, which is a large improvement. They feel like I could just take my hands off the bars on interstate on-ramps (for example).

They seem to stick like glue, but I have had no experience with them in cooler or wet weather as of yet.

I hit one tar snake abberation that made the front go a little squirrelly, but it was a seam that was parallel to the direction of travel and I think it was uneven (domed) in the center. It took me by surprise, but nothing nasty developed.

My subjective opinion is that the ST13 moves around a bit more in dirty air around 18 wheelers than it did with the Z6 front. But my bike is loaded more heavily on the rear end than usual. She shakes her head a bit more at times, but nothing really scary. This usually happened when I had a fairly stiff head/cross wind on top of the dirty air.

Tire wear on the front after 3400 miles of slab riding is not observable. There is a small flat spot on the rear, but it is not significant.

One thing I found is that the bikes seems more stable at walking speeds. I seem to be able to hover on the point of stopping without putting my feet down more easily.

So far, I like the tires. I have run them at 42/42 so far this trip. I expect to put about 8000 miles on them by the end of July.

I too contacted Avon US about fitment on the ST13 and got the same story. I then asked them why Avon bothers to make an 18 inch front tire that would only fit the ST13 and the old Concours. They replied that it was a very good question and that they were going to pass it along to head office. No reply so far.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I too contacted Avon US about fitment on the ST13 and got the same story. I then asked them why Avon bothers to make an 18 inch front tire that would only fit the ST13 and the old Concours. They replied that it was a very good question and that they were going to pass it along to head office. No reply so far.
I hope questions like this don't prompt Avon to quit making them or the US distributor to quit importing them.

Top Bottom