Avon STorms?????

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Assuming, (oooh dangerous) that we are talking 120/70 R18 then it fits the ST1100 ABS to '01 as well......

I hope questions like this don't prompt Avon to quit making them or the US distributor to quit importing them.
Seriously? I think Avon would have a pretty good idea of the market size BEFORE committing to producing and distributing a certain size of tire. My point was and is that Avon makes the tire in this size because they have an expectation of selling enough of them to make money. That may mean that they hope that ST riders will buy the tires, even if they can't or won't certify them. Kind of a don't ask - don't tell philosophy.

I'm back from my cross-country trip. Total miles on the new Avon Storm 2 Ultras is 7130. The vast majority of these miles were Interstate riding.

My overall impression of these tires is that they are a very good touring tire, and a good sport tire. I agree with previous comments that they are very neutral and slower to turn in then the Z6 front that I previously had on the bike. I would say that they make the ST13 "tossable" rather than "flickable" and require more work to turn in.

The do seem to track well with the exception that they do act squirrely for some reason on hot, dry tar snakes. I had about 4 hours of rain on the entire trip, but found them good.

They do seem to stick well and are very nice on long sweeping turns.

After 7100 miles, I measure about 3mm of tread left in the center of the front tire and 4mm on the back. The back has a bit of flattening, but nothing major. I'll post of a couple of pics.

You can see a stripe on the rear which I presume is the harder compound in the center.

Last edited:
I spent the last 4 days putting another 1500 miles on these tires in the mountains. I had the opportunity to ride a variety of twisty roads, some on great surfaces, and some not so great. I also spent some time in the rain with them.

I would like to revise my earlier review of these tires from "good" to "very good" for sport riding and remain with "very good" for touring. These are the best tires that I have owned. If they continue to wear out evenly through the balance of their life, I may have to revise my review again!

Right now, I love these tires.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I'm pretty happy with them too right now. I'm curious how they will behave when the temp dips below freezing :)

Top Bottom