Back surgery re-hab question

Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
I will be going in for a back operation on April 17th. Suffering from spinal stenosis and a herniated disc in the L4/L5 area. [Possible fusion also] Has anyone had this procedure done? If so what do you expect the re-hab time to be before getting back on the bike? Currently I'm riding my two wheel bike trainer to get my endorphins up and increase leg strength.
I've got too many miles yet to ride!

STOC #
I had a fusion done last July. The day after the operation they had me walking. The third day I went home. The pain is not that much but you are sure stiff and sore. They told me to start walking asap to strengthen the back. Within a week I was walking a mile and I could not even do that before. I was back riding after a month but boy (things are still fragile) you need to be careful!!! Its the bumps that could drive straight up your backbone that can cause a problem. It will take two or three months for the fusion to heal well and a year to be completed,. You will be back riding sooner than you might think but look for smooth roads for awhile.

OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
Thanks Hoosier!
I kinda thought it may take a while.
They said I'd be able to walk out of the hospital a day or two after surgery, a bit stiff I'm shure.
Good thing I live near a smooth interstate.
Will keep away from the twisties to start.
Thanks!
Mark

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I've got a close friend who's a motor-cop. He's had back surgery. Not sure if it's the same condition as yours, but I'll try to remember to ask him about it.

He's riding again, though, I'm just not sure how long it took him.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
When you do get back on the bike, be sure that you 'soften' the suspension as much as possible... It will have less 'impact' on your back that way... Go slow, do only what you 'feel' like doing... if it hurts, don't do it again for a while... I've had neck AND back surgery... I'm too young for that crap!!!! :D
:cool:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I had my L5/S1 fused a couple a years ago. The pain was no biggie compared to the sciatica I was having from a herniated disc :rolleyes: I was not able to ride for "6 months"... but I did sneak off in a back brace for TechSTOC after 5 months :D

I put surgery off for a year... couldn't do it anymore :rolleyes:

OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
I had my L5/S1 fused a couple a years ago. The pain was no biggie compared to the sciatica I was having from a herniated disc :rolleyes: I was not able to ride for "6 months"... but I did sneak off in a back brace for TechSTOC after 5 months :D

I put surgery off for a year... couldn't do it anymore :rolleyes:
I've been putting off surgery for my stenosis for some time. The herniated disc started in Jan. and it's been downhill since then. My operation isn't until the 17th and I'm already doing re-hab in my head. What type of back brace did you use?
My two boys & I do an annual bike trip, this year it was to be a 10 day Nova Scotia trip. Guess we'll have to reschedule to "09"....or just maybe late "08"....or just a shorter trip. No IBA rides this year I guess.

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
Well..... I could give you the not so good side of it if you want... but I do still ride and I can pretty much keep up with the best of them. Each person comes through it differently.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I've been putting off surgery for my stenosis for some time. The herniated disc started in Jan. and it's been downhill since then. My operation isn't until the 17th and I'm already doing re-hab in my head. What type of back brace did you use?
My two boys & I do an annual bike trip, this year it was to be a 10 day Nova Scotia trip. Guess we'll have to reschedule to "09"....or just maybe late "08"....or just a shorter trip. No IBA rides this year I guess.
It was a full snap up front, over shoulder strap on... with metal brackets on both sides of spine... they'll give you some type of brace to wear after surgery ;) I was off of work for 2 weeks... in Hospital for 2 or 3 days.

I went thru spinal block injections... physical therapy... the whole deal... just had enough. Just make sure you turn with your whole body until you are healed up from surgery ;) Man... you don't realize what back pain is until you try and bend or turn when you haven't healed up yet :crackup

OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
Mark, I had an L5/S1 herniated disc and had a microdiscectomy done ('92). I went home the next morning and was walking around the block in 2 days. Not without some discomfort <get it? DISComfort?:->>> Hoo boy...

Anyway, I begged off riding for a least 4 months, but it was winter anyway, so...

Now, for my very best advice: Get into a "work hardening"/physical therapy program BEFORE the surgery ! ! ! Even for just a couple of weeks will help. My orthopaedic surgeon made me do this as an agressive move to get me in the best physical condition before the surgery. Your body will recover much faster from the trauma of surgery if you do.

Here's to hoping it goes well for you!:hotpepper
Hi Ray:
Have been working out on my bike trainer about an hour a day. Most of my upper body moves trigger the electric shock pain:headbang: Plan on exercising right up to operation day.
Still too cold up here in New England to mount the headlight protector I bought from you.
Mark

OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
Well...operation day is two days away.
Have been exercising to get my body & mind ready for the event. Will be having three condtions corrected, spinal stenosis, herniated disc and fussion of the L4/L5 vertebrae.
looks like I'll have a legnthy re-hab. Hope to get on the bike later this year.
Planning on a Moonshine run next year!

Thanks for all your re-hab advise!
Mark:)

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I had back surgery 10 years ago performed by a magician! I was dragging my right leg and in excruciating pain. The doc who performed the surgery was a neuro-surgeon who did micro-laser stuff. One inch incision. The pain was gone the minute I first stood up three hours after the procedure. Walking 2 blocks the next day, etc. Back to work in two weeks and riding in two months. He left in enough of the disk so that it would not bulge out again yet would provide adequate cushion between the two disks and therefore would not have to do a fusion. He believes a fusion limits range of motion, can break, and puts too much pressure on the disk immediately above which can start the cycle all over again. May your doc be as accomplished as mine. Knock on wood, zero problems in 10 years!!!!!!!!!!1

Mark,

I had a diskectomy and fusion 26 years ago. The problems started to reappear in the adjacent vertabrae/ disks, to the point where another doc recommended two more fusions. I didn't do it, instead focused on stretching and exercise, which eventually helped the body to recover enough to function pretty well. I now realize that the rest of my life will have to include this regimen; when I fall off the wagon, it doesn't take too long for me to notice. So, +1 on stretching and strengthening, it will make your life better. As you know, you don't realize how important a state of non-pain is until you have a state of pain

Good luck, it sounds like you are preparing yourself as much as possible.

Mike

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I know it's not quite the same thing but I had my C6-C7 vertebrea fused (screws, titanium plate and all) back in 2004 and I was back on my Superhawk for a 2 day road trip around Oregon 2 weeks later. I was a little sore but it was nothing comparted to the pain I was experiencing prior to the surgery. 4 years and 25,000 miles later, I'm still good as new. Good luck and make sure you take care of yourself so you don't have to end your riding early...:07biker:

Bike
'19 Kawasaki Z900
STOC #
In 96' had my first back surgery. Herniated disc L4-L5 with arthritis around it. They did a Microdiscectomy and a partial Laminectomy. I walked out of the hospital the night of the surgery. It was uncomfortable to lay down on the maxi-pad like gauze taped over the stitches so I pretty much walked around my apartment all night long. I have a phobia of hospitals.

I am being scheduled for my second back surgery this week. I have pockets of arthritis putting pressure on L4-L5 again and a bulged disc at L5-S1 pinching the nerve and iliolumbar ligament all of which attach to your pelvis so every time I step or rotate my pelvis I am sent a wake up call of unhappy nerves.

I can almost find a perfect neutral position while riding the ST.

Be patient and do the physical therapy as they recommend and you will be back in the saddle in time. A huge part of your recovery will be mental. Don't let it get to you and work through any challenges of discomfort......

Good luck and you will be in our thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
:)
In 96' had my first back surgery. Herniated disc L4-L5 with arthritis around it. They did a Microdiscectomy and a partial Laminectomy. I walked out of the hospital the night of the surgery. It was uncomfortable to lay down on the maxi-pad like gauze taped over the stitches so I pretty much walked around my apartment all night long. I have a phobia of hospitals.

I am being scheduled for my second back surgery this week. I have pockets of arthritis putting pressure on L4-L5 again and a bulged disc at L5-S1 pinching the nerve and iliolumbar ligament all of which attach to your pelvis so every time I step or rotate my pelvis I am sent a wake up call of unhappy nerves.

I can almost find a perfect neutral position while riding the ST.

Be patient and do the physical therapy as they recommend and you will be back in the saddle in time. A huge part of your recovery will be mental. Don't let it get to you and work through any challenges of discomfort......

Good luck and you will be in our thoughts for a speedy recovery.
Wish I could report that the operation went well, however while at the hospital doing pre-op they found that I have a UTI. Am now on antibiotics with the surgery posponed until May 8th. Dam!:( Still hope to get on the later this year. Still upbeat :)
mark

Bike
'19 Kawasaki Z900
STOC #
Very sorry to hear about the delay...

I had Cortisone injections done at L4-L5 and L5-S1 on Thursday. I was pain free for almost 2 hours and then the Lidocaine wore off. Very frustrating...
More shots in two weeks and then we will discuss the surgery date.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
Very sorry to hear about the delay...

I had Cortisone injections done at L4-L5 and L5-S1 on Thursday. I was pain free for almost 2 hours and then the Lidocaine wore off. Very frustrating...
More shots in two weeks and then we will discuss the surgery date.

Good Luck!
Well good luck to you Eric....back problems are quite fustrating. Seams like certain body positions leaves a body
pain free, but only for a moment.
My Dr. bi-passed the shot routine after looking at my latest MRI. I hate the notion that I have to wait around til May 8th.
Hope you get some releif with your next shot.
Mark

OP
OP
markst1100
Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
Post-surgery update:
Well the deed has been done. Repair of spinal stenosis, and a herniated disc and fusion of the L4-5 vertebrae. Spent five days in the hospital as I had a few other complications after surgery. It?s now 10 days after surgery and I'm walking around with the use of a cane. All of the nerve pain is now gone, surgical pain is still around but diminishing day by day. Cannot bend, lift or twist for six weeks then on to [hopefully aggressive PT] so I can get on the bike early this fall. So far surgery has been quite successful, better than I anticipated! Am already planning a series of LD rides for ?09?. Surgery is great when it works!:) :biker:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Well... I rode my first rollercoaster yesterday since my surgery :nuts1: I was a little sore after the ride... that was a big deal for me... I love riding RC's :bow1:

I won't be doing that again, but it was the first REAL RC ride for my 10 y/o daughter... so I had to ride with her :D

Glad to hear your surgery came out well and you are doing great! ;)

Top Bottom