Be the first on your block to order the BMW R 18

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Would never buy something like this, but it's not bad looking, except the exhaust... looks like something from a comic book, just seems so out of place compared to the rest of the bike. Oh, and it's got "timeless design features, such as the white double striping". Really, striping is a 'timeless design feature'? Who falls for that kind of marketing garbage?

Wow, I still just can't get over how bad that exhaust looks... who looks at that giant bulge in the rear and says, "yeah, that's cool!"

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Not a cruiser guy, but do kinda like the WWII ish retro look. I like the exposed driveshaft. I'd be more concerned if I had one of those exposed belt V-twin thingys. Chances of having either is ZERO.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's not my cup of tea but if not for the looming recession I think it would do OK for BMW. As a low volume manufacturer they don't have to sell too many of them to be a successful model. BMW only sold 175,200 motorcycles world wide last year (only 15,000 in the US and Canada )and over 70% of them were GS models leaving about 53,000 units spread between all of their touring and standard models. The previous cruiser model, so-called Chromeheads in BMW speak, were repulsive to the faithful core buyer and yet BMW sold enough of them to keep various versions of them in the line-up from 1999 to 2005. I think they believe there are just enough folks that will buy something different in order to stand out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Really, striping is a 'timeless design feature'? Who falls for that kind of marketing garbage?
So are you saying 'timeless' is only applicable if it means since the dawn of time?

I think BMW gets to say their signature double white striping is a 'timeless design feature' - you know - in a retro kind of way and that they get to point it out in their ad copy.

Who falls for that kind of marketing garbage?
I don't understand. Are you implying BMW thinks somebody will buy the bike because of the stripes? Or that there's something wrong with anybody who'd buy this bike? How many people noticed the stripes were back without any mention of them.

It's really odd to see people get so nutted up over the aesthetics of a bike. Like it or not - understandable. But it's not like your wife and/or daughter came home with 'Property of Hell's Angels' tattooed on their forehead.

knee is bent back a lot, uncomfortable for longer rides
I think the ergos might be bad for taller riders. But if you rock the rider forward in that position the butt knee foot placement is almost exactly the same as that of the ST1300 (don't know about an 1100). I wouldn't mind the ST's footgear moved forward 6" or so. The reach to the bars looks a little long but so was the ST's bars. Enter Helibar.

The one thing that puts me off is the muffler. I didn't and still don't like the ST's mufflers but there's nothing I'd replace them with. Maybe somebody will make aftermarket cans for the R18. Or a sawzall and some black VHT paint to guide the eye. Other that that it's a good looking bike.

Bike
R1200rt
So are you saying 'timeless' is only applicable if it means since the dawn of time?

I

I

I think the ergos might be bad for taller riders. But if you rock the rider forward in that position the butt knee foot placement is almost exactly the same as that of the ST1300 (don't know about an 1100). I wouldn't mind the ST's footgear moved forward 6" or so. The reach to the bars looks a little long but so was the ST's bars. Enter Helibar.
With the seat so low there is no way it's like a st1300 see this video about seat/knee angle

Bike
2000 ST1100
Wonder how much heat will be coming off that big air cooled boxer engine?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
With the seat so low there is no way it's like a st1300 see this video about seat/knee angle
I already saw that video which is one of the reasons I made that comment. The seat is lower but the feet are farther forward. 0:11 shows this. Taller riders will have a problem just as they do on the ST. I didn't say it was ideal but I'll say it's not as bad as some may think. But a test ride is on order.

Wonder how much heat will be coming off that big air cooled boxer engine?
That'll need a test ride. If one of the two BMW shops near me gets an R18 I'll be looking for a demo ride. (The local Honda dealers won't let the new 'Wings out for demoing.)

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Well you could mount highway pegs - out past /on top , of the after market accessory cylinder head guards , if you like your legs minimum 90° apart ! Funnel in that crotch cooling air ! - Unless you are stopped in traffic !

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I have never understood lying down backwards to ride a motorcycle -with the soles of one's boots leading the way. Seems a bee with half a sense for aim could make it up your billowing pants leg all the way to your crotch. Certainly the inability to pose in that position will be a deal-breaker for a large part of the intended market.

Doesn't seem that they studied the market (or they think they can change it). I expect they will woo as many Harley riders away as this thing did.

rune.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
The ergonomics are awful ... knee is bent back a lot, uncomfortable for longer rides
I'm about 50% cruiser guy and that peg position is a deal breaker. Well, not winning the lottery is the actual deal breaker. It's difficult to see what segment they're targeting with this.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I dunno....I was a loyal BMW rider 'til they stopped caring about engineering, and went just for the wow factor. My last BMW ( '78 R100S) will probably be my last BMW, but I do kinda like the styling of the R18.

Would I buy one? Sure, if I hit the lottery, but not likely any way else.

As for heat, I NEVER had a problem with my BMW's being hot, not even close to how bad the ST1300 is. Despite spending loads of money and time, and LOTS of different schemes, the ST remains the hottest bike to ride I have ever owned. I really like my ST, but it is just not a good summer bike, at least in the south. I just acquired an NC700X to ride in the summer.....the ST is just too uncomfortable.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
... the ST remains the hottest bike to ride I have ever owned.
A BMW K1100 comes close (or beats it). Generally water cooled bikes are cooler for the motor and hotter for the rider because the designers fail to properly channel the hot air out of the radiator without contacting the rider space. Water-cooled BMW GS's are hotter on the rider than otherwise similar air-cooled GS's. I've always thought it would be interesting to use the equivalent of the Meredith radiator on the P-51 Mustang with an insulated air channel through the bike that exits looking like a large exhaust pipe under the seat. It would need fans (unlike the Mustang) and above 100 mph or so you might get a little jet boost from it ;)

mustang duct.jpg

mustang.jpg

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
That's a definite departure from the norm... unless you recall the R1200C from 20 years ago.

It seems to be missing the BMW unique front end and has "normal" forks.
My Bud has a CLC and this thing doesn't come close.

Bike
VStrom 650
A BMW K1100 comes close (or beats it). Generally water cooled bikes are cooler for the motor and hotter for the rider because the designers fail to properly channel the hot air out of the radiator without contacting the rider space. Water-cooled BMW GS's are hotter on the rider than otherwise similar air-cooled GS's. I've always thought it would be interesting to use the equivalent of the Meredith radiator on the P-51 Mustang with an insulated air channel through the bike that exits looking like a large exhaust pipe under the seat. It would need fans (unlike the Mustang) and above 100 mph or so you might get a little jet boost from it ;)

mustang duct.jpg

mustang.jpg
You can roast potatoes on the K1100 tank.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda had it's Vultus with virtually no one speaking kindly of it. Honda brought 1000 a year in and reportedly sold all of them pretty quickly.

BMW reportedly sold out the first year pre-orders of 180 R 18s in two hours last Friday.

Top Bottom