Be the first on your block to order the BMW R 18

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
BMW reportedly sold out the first year pre-orders of 180 R 18s in two hours last Friday.
Those are probably not the kinds of buyers who lust after and save for a bike of their dreams. These buyers have the resources to buy just so the can say they have one. Like the OP said... be the first on your block.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Those are probably not the kinds of buyers who lust after and save for a bike of their dreams. These buyers have the resources to buy just so the can say they have one. Like the OP said... be the first on your block.
Yes. I know of a fellow who paid 40K for one of them custom choppers when they were all the rage. To me I'm thinking what a waste of good money as he never rode it more than 20 miles at a time. Between the time it was in the shop and the time he spent cleaning it what a failure. To me a bike has to look good but also be highly functional.....sorta like an ST1100;)

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Yes. I know of a fellow who paid 40K for one of them custom choppers when they were all the rage. To me I'm thinking what a waste of good money as he never rode it more than 20 miles at a time. Between the time it was in the shop and the time he spent cleaning it what a failure. To me a bike has to look good but also be highly functional.....sorta like an ST1100;)
Just read this on a cruiser forum:
"I know a fella who paid $11k for one of those touring bikes that no cool rider likes. To me I'm thinking what a waste of good money because why ride one for more than 20 miles at a time. why not just get a civic or hyundai. It was always dirty and was used just to commute to other states for a bite to eat, while listening to audio in his helmet on that bluetooth crap thing while stopping at some large ball of twine or taking pictures of a large oversized thing in some obscure place, never stopping for a break and socializing with friends. Between the time he bought it and sold it, he rarely cleaned it, was changing tires as often as I put in gas, always rode with helmet that you can't see well out of, with some plug in heating clothes (wuss!), and not experiencing mother nature, or the sound of a cruiser's raw power--what a failure to ride such a wimpy sounding bike like that (not being heard to stay safe), riding it around so much when a budget car would do. Why ride to Maine anyway? To me a bike has to look good and the rider has to look cool, not like some crash-prone power ranger going across the country like a car .... a chromed out custom cruiser and a rider with a bandana is where it's at."

Last edited:
Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
My Bud has a CLC and this thing doesn't come close.
a friend of mine still has a CLC, I was ( un ) lucky enough to get to ride it home for him. the ride was terrible and the seating position was horrible, I stopped four times on the 35 mile ride back to his house. i'll pass on this R 18, I've never been a cruiser guy

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
a friend of mine still has a CLC, I was ( un ) lucky enough to get to ride it home for him. the ride was terrible and the seating position was horrible, I stopped four times on the 35 mile ride back to his house. i'll pass on this R 18, I've never been a cruiser guy
I do miss those big gas tanks on the ST. The tracer only holds 4.4 gallons.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I don't have nothing against cruisers. I rode one for 17 years. Its just this thing. probably for the same money that this thing cost you could buy yourself a well equipped Bmw RT1250 and look way cooler.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I've got the ST 1300 and the 2011 BMW r1200 gsa, new bikes don't interest me because they don't hold enough gas
I guess getting off every couple of hours is good for and old coot though. Nice screen name. I hit quail with my truck and buzzards with my bike. Confusing, very confusing.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If anybody is or is at all concerned about being a 'real' rider they don't care about 'looking cool'. That's for poseurs. For a forum that's supposedly about 'STs primarily but all rides/riders welcome' it's pretty harsh on H-Ds and most everything new. Apologies Mellow. It's not the forum.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
If anybody is or is at all concerned about being a 'real' rider they don't care about 'looking cool'. That's for poseurs. For a forum that's supposedly about 'STs primarily but all rides/riders welcome' it's pretty harsh on H-Ds and most everything new. Apologies Mellow. It's not the forum.
most of the guys I ride with ride H-D's, I would have one too but they don't play well with my pinched nerve. i my have to give up my GSA for the same reason

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Harley riders are a fun bunch generally and often mentioned my ST sounded like a sewing machine. That cost me $1000. worth of Staintunes.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
LOL! But I have to say – not that I put a lot of stock into stereotyping – I've seen more H-Ds running in the rain that any other brand of bike.
A Harley rider is the only person who will stand in the rain with you to show you what he has done to restore his bike to it's previous glory without a rain jacket. The rain was cold.............

Top Bottom