Bicycle steering video, also applies to motorcycles

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
oops. my tire pressure was a bit low.
Measured two psi. So that explains why I need to do more counter steer in a fast turn.
now that the pressure is 26 psi there is a lot less effort in holding it in the turn.
So there are many variables that effect steering.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Counter steering is such a boring and beaten term which I've never understood. This goes for many riders and I think this term should be dropped from moto language.
I'm inclined (no pun intended) to disagree with you. I turn solely by counter-steering 99% of the time.

On faster corners, I do apply foot pressure on both pegs, but I steer the bike with handlebar torque.

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
Less than a mile from my house I'll often turn right onto Brighton Dam Road. There are a couple of speed bumps, with potholes on either side then the road descends into a blind righthander. To dodge new and old bumps in that stretch I'm jabbing the bars to evade left or right supplemented with a healthy knee and thigh shove into the tank area. It's the only to avoid the potholes - knee action and jabs left and right on the handlebars. The same techniques can save your life when someone comes over the center line or unexpectedly drives into your path from a side road or driveway. Counter steering is steering.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, than you're pushing the bike outside canceling the cornering side push
When counter-steering correctly, you can even put all your weight on the outside peg and still lean in.

Counter-steering lets you compensate for, or even ignore intentional or non-intentional weight shift.

Hang your weight off to either side on a straight road, and note that you can still ride straight ahead.

Top Bottom