Bionic Joint Club

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Today I became a member of the BJC! Right knee was a mess, full of arthritis, torn ACL, both meniscus shot, nearly bone on bone. First damaged when I was about 13, and 'scoped in my 20s, I had had enough!

Having made my insurance deductible for the 2nd time this year (another rant for another time) and it being winter (uh, says so on the calendar!) I decided to have it done.

So today was the day. Arrived at 8:30 am and loaded into the car about 3:45. Stopped on the way home for as bite to eat, and to pick up meds, I home all cozy in my recliner.

"Nurse Helda" (aka Annette) is doing her magic! She will keep me on my road to recovery, for sure.

6 weeks no driving is probably the most difficult issue. But I'm sure it will be worth it.

When is the next club meeting? Someone needs to teach me the secret hand shake!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Welcome to the club! My right hip joint is not my own. I also need the secret hand-shake.

As a quick healer, I was walking without crutches, walker, or cane at my three-week check-up.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Welcome to the club. I had my left knee replace almost 4 years ago. You will be glad you did it before long. Listen to your doctor and do your PT.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
No knees replaced but I'm about to do a reset of my jaws. Together we are on our way to a James Bond film! :)

Glad your home and hopefully feeling no pain.

You are gpig to experience PT, remeber, it's worth it!!!

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Glad that you are on the mend! Also, with nurse Annette, you can blame her cooking skills for any weightgain during recovery.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I had a total knee replacement on my right knee in November 2016. I stayed overnight. I'm surprised they have you home already, but maybe they are trying to keep the costs down and/or the procedures have improved enough to make that possible. Some unasked for advice...stay ahead of the pain meds. I had a bag of narcotics being pumped into my thigh. That ran out on Sunday evening and I was just very glad to be rid of the bag. I got behind though on the pain meds in the night. No problems till I tried to get to my PT on Monday morning. I was rushing to get in the car, and didn't move the seat back...and tried to bend the knee farther than it wanted to go in my rush. By the time I was at the PT appointment, I was almost ready to cry.

Things did get better after that. I learned my lesson. ;) Although I'll freely say that I pushed myself so much at my twice-weekly PT sessions that I was in pain till the morning of the next one. But I was also told I was the Total Knee Replacement poster child. My recovery went very fast.

Good luck on this. If you get questions, feel free to ask. From the responses, there are several here who've been where you are in the past.

Chris

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Pat
i had both knees done 6 months apart, three years ago and one hip last February. As mentioned follow the PT and you will get through it! I also had one of these with the knee cuff that helped circulate icy cold water around my knee. It was a life saver especially after PT and used it every 4 hours to reduce swelling.
Best of luck with your recovery!
Randy

1577435911342.png

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pat - I'll be glad to show you that handshake! :biggrin:
Just keep that knee elevated above the heart and it will reduce the swelling a lot.
I found my recliner with a couple of pillows for propping up my knee was my friend.
In 8 weeks or less you will be wondering why you waited so long to have it done.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Welcome to the club had mine done five years ago still a great stay on the meds to keep your therapy up and work on range of motion that's the ticket. Have a speedy recovery

Bike
1991 ST1100
I've had both hips done, and I wish I had been more disciplined about my PT. One downside was the fact that the surgeon made the right leg almost an inch longer. This meant that all my shoes need to be modified or I'd be walking in circles. :D I was studying kung fu at the time as well so my forms took on a decidedly clumsy look.... sorta like drunken monkey style. Still, a vast improvement and I was back scuba diving within a few months of having that one done. Bought my first ST1100 a few years later. It was that bike that made it obvious that it was time to do the other one.
This time the surgeon made sure that the second replacement brought the lengths in line, but that overall change in geometry reduced my flexibility and my IT bands apparently don't stretch. I finally gave up kung fu as my skills were declining rather than improving. Freeflow (slow motion sparring) got to be an embarrassment
However, I do just fine and aside from wishing my new (to me) ST was about a foot shorter, and age related issues kicking in, life is good.
I still fly, build, dive, and getting back to riding. Gonna take an advanced course this spring to learn how to ride SLOW. Who knew it was harder than riding fast? :thumb:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Daboo said:
I got behind though on the pain meds in the night.
Yeah breakthrough pain can be a real bear. All my joints are working just fine but I had a tib/fib incident and drugs saved the day. Keeping ahead required much less medication than catching up.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Good luck with your recovery Pat. I had my left shoulder replaced the end of September. I can now start strength training. I had more trouble with the side effects of the anesthesia then the shoulder, but all going well now. Good timing, you will be fit by riding season.
Ron

Bike
st1300, xr250
Had both knees done in 2018, 8 weeks apart. I was driving to PT in 6 days after I was off the pain meds. Just snow skied today for the first time in about 6 years.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Had my right knee done about 6 years ago. Only regret was I waited so long to have it done. Rehab and pain management (along with good attitude0 are keys.

Top Bottom