Bionic Joint Club

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Chris had her Right knee replaced 30 years ago. She has required 2 'revisions' since then (wore the 1st 2 out in about 10 years each).
She might might be close to needing the pads replaced again according to her past history!

Good luck and wishing you a fine recovery.
Remember if you put work into PT you'll enjoy that knee a lot longer... The only things Chris can't do now is play basketball (no jumping) and her right leg sinks when she tries to float in the pool! :D

Bike
2000 ST1100
First Uncle Phil then Pat. My friend I wish you well and I'm glad it went well. See you in April at Moonshine:thumb:

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Losing weight before my hip replacement helped, but I agree a good attitude is important. I've always had the mindset that, if I were ever hurt and told by doctors that I'd never walk again, I would prove them wrong.

As for meds, I was taking Tramadol before my hip surgery, and never filled the prescriptions I was given. I was walking unaided at my three-week checkup, and cleared to drive then due to me taaking no other meds.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Good luck with healing. always follow pt schedules but don't overdo it.
Now if I could have a brain replacement surgery I might be normal.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Pat welcome to the bionic parts replacement! Had my right hip replaced Nov 14th and it’s as good as new!!
Prayers for you but especially Annette LOL!!!

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
So route planning for the time being will consist of all left hand turns and running counterclockwise.....:biggrin:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Glad things went well Pat. Dianne has had both knees and one hip replaced. Im still limping around on my beat up originals. For some reason I just cant seem to give the ortho doc the approval to start swapping parts.lol

Good time of the year to do it. Hopefully this will fix that hip for you and no more issues dismounting.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I have had both hips replaced five and six years ago. Anterior front cut. One night in hospital, no restrictions on leg movements, even cross your legs without problems. No pain meds at home , walking in three days without walker or cane. Driving stick shift car in one week. They used to do the full replacement from the side or butt and the recovery was months instead of weeks.

Ed Wing

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I had my right shoulder replaced on Oct 21. Doing PT now - it'll still be a couple months until I'm cleared to ride, but I should be able to continue with my bike makeover soon, as long as I get someone to help me with the heavy parts.

Attachments

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Bionic Joint Club. Thought this was going to be news out of Colorado. Could see battery powered hookahs and discounts on the herb.

Good luck with the new parts and do the therapy!!

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Brief update: 12 days on, have been to therapist 3 times (1 for evaluation and 2 working sessions) I've added 3-4 deg of flexion and up to 92 deg bending. Also graduated from walker to cane.

Nurse Helga has yet to implement cast iron adjustments and continues to take exceptional care of me! I am a lucky man to have her.

Trying to use drugs as little as possible. Ice pack w compression helps lots! Compression machine goes back on Friday, I won't miss wearing the sleeves 20hr a day!

All told, I feel I'm about where I expected to be at this time. I know ROM will take lots of work, but I haven't had a full range of motion for 35 years! Any improvement will be outstanding!

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
but I haven't had a full range of motion for 35 years! Any improvement will be outstanding!
Does this mean you and Annette will be taking up Ball Room Dancing soon?? You'll be doing the Ohio Curly Shuffle Dance ! :rofl1:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I had a total knee on my "totalled" right knee just about a year ago and as others have said - what a huge relief.

I originally wrecked my knee (fractured patella - knee cap) in a "trip and fall" when I was about 13-14 years old and so it has been 45+ years of pain and limited mobility.

At the time, the quacks talked about an "artificial" knee but it was the early 1970s and these had just been developed. My folks were told at the time that the new joints only lasted about 7-8 years and the surgery could only be done twice - plus as I was still growing, it would not be a wise move. Winding up with a fused knee at the age of around 30 was not an attractive prospect. Since then, I have had three surgeries and countless physio sessions, none of which really worked all that well although I could pretty much get around as I wished.

Now however, I can climb stairs and walk as far as I like pretty much pain free and it has made a big difference in my quality of life. The key things to recovery are:
  1. keep up with your pain meds - don't be a hero as it will not help you to recover;
  2. do the physio therapy - religiously - every single frickin' day and do it as much as, and the way they tell you to do it;
  3. loose some weight if you need to.
My replacement knee was installed on Jan. 19/2019 and within five weeks, I could drive myself around and I started riding my bikes again when the decent weather arrived in late March/2019.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
I am getting close to a double replacement. Kinda scared to lose the originals. And kind of worried about riding again. I guess it sounds doable. My other concern is ladders.

Top Bottom