Bionic Joint Club

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am getting close to a double replacement. Kinda scared to lose the originals. And kind of worried about riding again. I guess it sounds doable. My other concern is ladders.
I have had both of mine done (not at the same time).
You'll be fine on ladders once you get over it.
And I still do ride just a little bit ... ;)
But one piece of advice - if you are not going to stay active after the replacements, don't do the surgery.
Their 'serviceability' depends on muscle tone so you have to keep working on it.
I walk 4 miles a day, 5 days a week - perhaps a bit extreme, but it works for me.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Chris has had her right knee replacement for over 30 years. The 1st was done incorrectly and lasted 10 yrs. The 2nd was done correctly but, needed additional 'calc' (from a cadaver), was a joy and lasted 11 years. The 3rd was done because she noticed the knee sometimes 'locked up'. The xray showed an 'object' loose in the joint. It turns out Chris can pop the head off a stainless steel screw by doing squats (still have those pieces in the sterile pouch). She only had the pads replaced (and the screw). This one has been in 9 years and I expect it to last at least another 10 (she doesn't do squats any more!).
Get it done and follow the advice above. Although I will add that you should push the PT people as much as you can as the mobility you earn during the initial PT is all you're going to get. Chris had people ask her what she did that she was PTing so hard. She said 'stay at home mom' and they couldn't believe it.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
We have an olyptical and a tred mill. I can't do either now. I wonder if I will ever do the olyptical again.
The only thing the Dr. told Chris she couldn't do was jump. She asked about playing basketball. He said as long as you don't jump. DOH! (Chris played BB in college). She didn't ask about Volleyball; but, I think she should have! She still digs in the sand. Double Doh!

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Ron, I don't know how old you are, but the question in my mind is, what kind of life do you want to live? And for how long?

I've had my right knee replaced and now there isn't much I can't do. Five months after mine was replaced, my future son-in-law took me on a "short" and "level" hike. It turns out the "short" was actually 8 miles. And the only place that was level was when the trail quit going downhill and started going back uphill, and vice versa. I did good on that. Prior to the surgery, there's no chance I could've done it. I went to Zion National Park and hiked up the East Observation Point trail. It's four miles in and a 2100 foot elevation gain...and then you get to do it in reverse. My body in general was pretty taxed with the hike, but I didn't even notice the knee.

If you can't push yourself to do things like ride a motorcycle, use an elliptical or treadmill machine...then eventually you'll just sit around and wait to die. And that will happen...sooner than if you had stayed active.

Do it. You won't be sorry. Take the advice of the people above. Mark's words about PT are especially important. Push yourself hard. If you don't, scar tissue will develop and you won't get the mobility you need. I had PT appointments twice a week. I hurt all the way from one PT appt to the night before the next one...and then did it all over again. But in less than a month, I was riding my motorcycle again.

Chris

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I had PT appointments twice a week. I hurt all the way from one PT appt to the night before the next one...and then did it all over again. But in less than a month, I was riding my motorcycle again.
Well done!

Bike
ST1300
Thanks everyone. Life has been limited. No long trips recently because of the arthritis pain. And recently I have been not riding short trips in fear of dumping it. Also other things were limited like exercise. I will push the PT. I'm going to hate sitting still.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
No long trips recently because of the arthritis pain. And recently I have been not riding short trips in fear of dumping it.
My knees and hips were on fire and screaming within one to two hours of riding, until I got an RDL seat that suits my legs.

It has a higher and farther-back position that allows me to sit, rather than squat, and using the blades is much better, too.

Pat,
had both knees replaced ( at the same time ) on July 1st--- tomorrow is 3 months. Stick with the PT and everything will work out just fine. I replaced my slave cylinder 1 mth after the operation ( Thanks to Larry (Igofar) ) so work hard.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I am getting close to a double replacement. Kinda scared to lose the originals. And kind of worried about riding again. I guess it sounds doable. My other concern is ladders.
UPDATE on Oct. 1/2020 (about 22 months post-surgery): right knee is working great with no difficulties on ladders, stairs etc. I would do this again without hesitation - BUT - you must do the exercises and keep the knee mobile and continue to work on range of motion - regardless of the pain level after surgery.

It gets a lot better after about 3-5 weeks and after that, I was able to pretty much use my daily activities as my therapy.

Pete

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
My knee has been doing very well. I did have an MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia) to improve the range of motion. Only "complaint" I have is if I try to go down on the right (replaced) knee, very tender! Doc says "don't do that" but sometimes it's needed.

As long as you are willing to push yourself through the PT, do it!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The only caution my doctor gave me was to NEVER EVER twist on the leg while putting weight on it.

He said that there is no way to damage anything as long as my foot is aligned with my hip and there is no twisting motion in my knee.

Sooooo....I'm not as stylish a dancer as I once was, but oh well.

Bike
st1300, xr250
I had my left done in Feb 2018 and right one in April 2018. Both were partial replacements. The inside on both were gone but the rest was fine. In doing a partial you don't lose your ACL and they don't touch your knee cap. After close to a year I have forgotten that I had them replaced. And since they don't touch your knee dap I can get down on my knees for hours at a time. Make sure you do everything your PT tells you to do.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I'll chip in on joining the club, left knee 12 months ago, right knee 2 years ago. To reiterate what others have said, pre & post PT, use pain meds an hour before PT (it helps, I can't take the precrip stuff so just use Tylenol) lots of ice/cooling etc. You get results based on what effort you put into PT & home exercise, I was doing 10 flights of stairs after several months. I'm very happy with the results, 120/130 degrees of flexion & pain free, can ride 400 km days! Just have to stop & stretch out every few hours, what a chore :biggrin:.. Medical science is pretty amazing these days. If you really need it, do it.
PS Larry, no Depends, just briefs. :rofl1:

Top Bottom