BMW Motorrad Releases 2018 Sales Figures

TPadden

Tom Padden
Short synopsis: Record Sales

"2018 was another very successful year for BMW Motorrad. We achieved a sales record for the eighth time in succession... The 2018 sales figure shows that our motorcycle growth strategy is taking effect... Good performance in big European markets and the US were a major cornerstone for these successful sales figures."

"For the first time in BMW Motorrad’s history, more than 51,000 R 1200/1250 GS and GS Adventure travel enduros alone were sold. With a total of around 84,500 units, the traditionally strong R Series once again confirmed its leading position in the overall range. "

"18,773 units of the sports-oriented BMW S Series with the S 1000 RR Supersports Bike, the S 1000 R Power Roadster and the S 1000 XR Adventure Bike were sold worldwide. "

“ In its second year of sales, above all the K 1600 Bagger, which is tailored especially to the US market, is proof of the unbroken trend towards large-capacity touring bikes... With 8,306 units sold and a 25 percent increase in sales, our six-cylinder models are among the big winners of 2018 again. The USA especially is an important market for these models."

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/434126/

Tom

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I want to ride the new R1250RS. But I am very happy with the one I have now. The more I ride it, the more like it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That bagger has to be the worst looking BMW I have ever seen. They used to have a great look, like the R80/100RT. Now look at what they are putting out. Yuch.
I think the exact opposite.. lol but, I never got into motorcycling until 1999 so everything before that point I never really considered or gave a lot of thought to and being in IT it's always the next best version of the newest thing ... I guess I'll grow up one of these days.. lol

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
That bagger has to be the worst looking BMW I have ever seen. They used to have a great look, like the R80/100RT. Now look at what they are putting out. Yuch.
Believe me: it's the most comfortable bike I've EVER ridden; and the one that get's the most attention when stopped - and I've owned old BMW's, Honda's, Triumphs, Ducatis, MV Agustas, Aprilia's, Moto Guzzi's, and almost everything else :D.

Tom

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Although an acquired taste, I also really liked the looks of the 1100S Multi ..... some in the Ducati world also said " Yuch" about it. :)

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thought I'd add; the Tuono couldn't keep gas in the tank, kept dumping it on the garage floor, the Ducati couldn't keep valve guides in the head, and the MV Agusta's couldn't keep me comfortably in the seat longer than about 80 miles at a whack (although the Turismo Veloce was good for about 200 miles). It ain't all about looks! :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Believe me: it's the most comfortable bike I've EVER ridden; and the one that get's the most attention when stopped - and I've owned old BMW's, Honda's, Triumphs, Ducatis, MV Agustas, Aprilia's, Moto Guzzi's, and almost everything else :D.

Tom
Great pic with the Guzzi.
I have to agree with Tom. That 6 cylinder bagger looks to be the ultimate touring bike.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Tom - I wanted to ask you a question about your 1100S - but couldn't get PM's to work. I've owned a variety of bikes including a couple of older Guzzi's, a couple of early BMW airheads and a 900SS Ducati, which was one of may favorite bikes (after some mods). I ride brand new rental bikes every year in Europe and a ST1100 for me and my wife to tour on here in NH.

I've been giving some serious thought to getting a 1100S, but don't know anyone who owns one. I was hoping you might share your thoughts on how you like/liked your 1100S. I would be looking to use it primarily solo (although I would take the wife if feasible). I'm curious if you ever used your 1100S to tour, how you found the reliability, frequency of service, weather protection, luggage capacity or any other thoughts you'd care to share.

Thanks - Charlie

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Tom - I wanted to ask you a question about your 1100S - but couldn't get PM's to work
Thanks - Charlie
It was a great 1 up tourer, I always camp so I loaded it up and rode coast to coast many times. Not a problem with the bike ever on tour, I put 60K miles on it, but I knew when it needed valve work as it wouldn't start first tap of the starter. Had new valves and guides put in around 25K and at 60K when it got hard to start again, the mechanic (Sebastian in Ocala, who's pretty famous in the Ducati world) just recommended a "new" rebuilt engine. The Acerbis plastic gas tanks, just like my Tuono, are famous for swelling with Ethonol, but would shrink back when drained and aired out for 3 or 4 weeks, so I just traded it in.

One of my favorites for long distance touring, very comfortable and reliable.

Tom

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Looks a bit like my T3 in the garage.
Only 1 disk brake so 850T. Kept mine for 38 years, mainly because of the memories! Still running when I gave it away to a neighbor kid in 2013. :)

I'm sure I paid more for mine than you did; 1,300,000, a gym bag full of lira.

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
I guess BMW is making the bikes people want to buy. Well diversified company cars and motorcycles. As far as bike division they offer scooters, trail bikes, adventure bikes, sport bikes, Tourers, sport tourers, naked standard bikes. Yep every thing a bike nut could want. No wonder why they are so successful. Also lets not forget they probably have a fan base worldwide that is as big as HD. Fiercely loyal.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Only 1 disk brake so 850T. Kept mine for 38 years, mainly because of the memories! Still running when I gave it away to a neighbor kid in 2013. :)

I'm sure I paid more for mine than you did; 1,300,000, a gym bag full of lira.

Tom
Yup, you win. Mine was, I think a few hundred bucks in milk crates and boxes. ST's may go forever, but Guzzi's were there first. I have a friend who rides an old ambassador. He grafted on a dual disk setup - he had spacers made for the calipers and changed front wheels and master cylinders. You can never tell w/ old bikes by the number of discs.

I guess BMW is making the bikes people want to buy. Well diversified company cars and motorcycles. As far as bike division they offer scooters, trail bikes, adventure bikes, sport bikes, Tourers, sport tourers, naked standard bikes. Yep every thing a bike nut could want. No wonder why they are so successful. Also lets not forget they probably have a fan base worldwide that is as big as HD. Fiercely loyal.
Not only a fan base, but superb support from the factory. Look at BMW adventure (off road) classes, rider workshops, not to mention their MOA and RA national rallies. MGNOC publishes an on line newsletter and has quite a few local rallies. Last I heard, national Moto Guzzi rallies were fading away (as well as some local rallies). Does any other marque come close to what BMW offers? Is there a Suzuki or Yamaha National Owners Club? Triumph rallies? Ducati magazine? Harley certainly rivals BMW w/ clubs, rides, and rallies, but is there factory support (I don't know)?

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
It was a great 1 up tourer, I always camp so I loaded it up and rode coast to coast many times. Not a problem with the bike ever on tour, I put 60K miles on it, but I knew when it needed valve work as it wouldn't start first tap of the starter. Had new valves and guides put in around 25K and at 60K when it got hard to start again, the mechanic (Sebastian in Ocala, who's pretty famous in the Ducati world) just recommended a "new" rebuilt engine. The Acerbis plastic gas tanks, just like my Tuono, are famous for swelling with Ethonol, but would shrink back when drained and aired out for 3 or 4 weeks, so I just traded it in.

One of my favorites for long distance touring, very comfortable and reliable.

Tom
I can't remember what year it was, but you showed up in Casey with the red Ducati. After the lunch run you took off for Florida with some other guys. A few hours later one then called Terry and asked who the heck you were, because you had left them far behind. I think the word crazy was in the conversation, but that was one beautiful bike.

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
Yup, you win. Mine was, I think a few hundred bucks in milk crates and boxes..
I bought my 850T new from a dealer in Milan who spoke no English and I spoke no Italian. I basically shoveled out Lira until he let me roll the bike out the door. I toured Europe until I met the USS Iwo Jima in Rota Spain, rode the bike onto a helicopter and flew it onto the Iwo LPH-2 (ship that recovered Apollo 13).

Flew it off in MCAS New River, NC, took an Italian bill of sale into the North Carolina DMV, they asked what the bill of sale was and I told them it was a title. They titled and registered it, no customs paperwork or anything. I was even able to register and title the grey market bike later in California.

I think 1,300,000 Lira was about $2,000. Memories and stories. Talk about thread drift........

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom