BMW RT riders here. GS also

STOC #
My st1300 is getting to be too heavy for me.
This is not dumping on bmw, instead looking for info/experiences/opinions.
Last time I test rode an Rt was in 2010. Loved it. Didn’t buy it because poor dealer network and the old drive shaft problems etc.
Fast forward to now and I hoped things have improved so took out 2018 1200rt last week but not on highway so only got to 100 kph. Again great ride but still viby.
Over 100lbs lighter and it feels like it. Nice!
Sign on to various BMW owner forums and geez. Seems like more problems than ever. Splines/driveshaft, switchgear etc etc. 30 TSB’s for 2018 Hope to test 1250rt this week.
Can the guys on here with RT’s and even GS’s pass on their experiences, opinions. Would you buy another one?
Answering here or msg me is appreciated.

Last edited:

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I've had my '08 GS for a year or so, and other than the tire pressure function giving me some occasional frustrations, it has been great. Historical maintenance only shows the ABS unit needing a rebuild and everything else normal stuff. Sounds like you want something newer, and I haven't followed closely, but it seems like there are some years around '15 where the cam lobes are soft and wear away (and BMW sometimes sort of warranties it) and some issues with the newer TFT (again, unsure on the years.)
Personally, I went with the Hexhead version because it blended a bit of modern like TC/ABS/digital odo/etc. with analog speedo/tach while keeping maintenance fairly easy and avoiding the servo brake issues from a year or so prior. I also don't feel any dropoff as a touring machine vs the ST (just my opinion), so if it's not too tall, a GS might be a good option that is lighter than the RT.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I sat on a low suspension GS Adventure with the seat in the low setting I think. It felt like the RT.. I'd like to have one as a 2nd bike, but I would ride it like the RT so not a smart move but life is short and I don't want to leave with a positive balance in the bank lol

The '21 RT has been awesome even if I only have 17,000 miles on it. No problems with the large TFT I love that. Bmw is trying to do navigation but they are way behind zumo in that area so that's the complaints you'll see. But, the TFT is great for all, the typical bike information you want/ need.

The 1250 engine is great and my first valve check was the easiest bike I've had to do in a while which is good since it's every 12k miles. Its got crazy power everywhere and a smooth throttle that feels like a bike with carburetors not drive by wire fuel injection. I have added shield, risers, seat to make things more quiet and comfortable.

The electronics and switches are very intuitive and you learn them quickly.

I would also consider the goldwing dct, the non-tour version as it will be smoother and probably feel as light as the RT, maybe a lower seat height and reverse is something I've missed since my last wing.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
I've had my '08 GS for a year or so, and other than the tire pressure function giving me some occasional frustrations, it has been great. Historical maintenance only shows the ABS unit needing a rebuild and everything else normal stuff. Sounds like you want something newer, and I haven't followed closely, but it seems like there are some years around '15 where the cam lobes are soft and wear away (and BMW sometimes sort of warranties it) and some issues with the newer TFT (again, unsure on the years.)
Personally, I went with the Hexhead version because it blended a bit of modern like TC/ABS/digital odo/etc. with analog speedo/tach while keeping maintenance fairly easy and avoiding the servo brake issues from a year or so prior. I also don't feel any dropoff as a touring machine vs the ST (just my opinion), so if it's not too tall, a GS might be a good option that is lighter than the RT.
Also considering the GS not GSA but used to more weather protection.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
I sat on a low suspension GS Adventure with the seat in the low setting I think. It felt like the RT.. I'd like to have one as a 2nd bike, but I would ride it like the RT so not a smart move but life is short and I don't want to leave with a positive balance in the bank lol

The '21 RT has been awesome even if I only have 17,000 miles on it. No problems with the large TFT I love that. Bmw is trying to do navigation but they are way behind zumo in that area so that's the complaints you'll see. But, the TFT is great for all, the typical bike information you want/ need.

The 1250 engine is great and my first valve check was the easiest bike I've had to do in a while which is good since it's every 12k miles. Its got crazy power everywhere and a smooth throttle that feels like a bike with carburetors not drive by wire fuel injection. I have added shield, risers, seat to make things more quiet and comfortable.

The electronics and switches are very intuitive and you learn them quickly.

I would also consider the goldwing dct, the non-tour version as it will be smoother and probably feel as light as the RT, maybe a lower seat height and reverse is something I've missed since my last wing.
Trying to test a 1250rt also to compare. For some reason there have been lots for sale locally?
As for new wing everyone is raving about, took base demo unit out fully expecting to love it and buy it that day. First wing I ever rode that I did not like. Less weather protection than ST, noisy exhaust, uncomfortable, not as smooth as last generation. Did feel lighter than ST because of weight being down low, not tippy at all Oh well who knew

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Loads and loads of BMW rider and owner opinions, experiences, info, fixes and observations on ADVrider > GSpot > Boxers, rivaling even BMW MOA and the BMW RA forums.
Jim Vander-something is the @Igofar of boxer twins over there, and has made DVDs for maintenance going several models back.
I would think functions and electronics aside, the biggest difference will be the engine feel / perceived vibration (not objectionable, but noticeable and different feel) of an opposed-twin versus our smoooooth v-four.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Loads and loads of BMW rider and owner opinions, experiences, info, fixes and observations on ADVrider > GSpot > Boxers, rivaling even BMW MOA and the BMW RA forums.
Jim Vander-something is the @Igofar of boxer twins over there, and has made DVDs for maintenance going several models back.
I would think functions and electronics aside, the biggest difference will be the engine feel / perceived vibration (not objectionable, but noticeable and different feel) of an opposed-twin versus our smoooooth v-four.
Will take a look

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Doesn’t matter anymore. Took out 2020, for over a hour, which to me wasn’t as nice as the 2017. Vibes were ok up to 100-110kph but at 120+ they were not so good. Gave me headache in 1/2 hr. Screen not so good either at those speeds,so I can see why others buy the Werks QR.
May be just too used to my 2nd ST13, but weight is getting to me now and need something lighter.
Anyways can see why people like their RT’s just not for me

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Doesn’t matter anymore. Took out 2020, for over a hour, which to me wasn’t as nice as the 2017. Vibes were ok up to 100-110kph but at 120+ they were not so good. Gave me headache in 1/2 hr. Screen not so good either at those speeds,so I can see why others buy the Werks QR.
May be just too used to my 2nd ST13, but weight is getting to me now and need something lighter.
Anyways can see why people like their RT’s just not for me
Hard to match the smoothness of the ST and Wing..

I went from the ST to a couple different ADV bikes and then the Tracer 900 so after those, the RT was plenty smooth to me.. Could just be the harmonics are such they don't agree with you. I know there are some vibes in the handlebars but barely perceptable to me.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
The RT's lesser weight is indeed sweet when moving it in your garage or in a parking lot. Little less intimidating when a U-turn is required, also. And although I'm finding my new RT to be a very good bike, my feeling about it lacks the enthusiasm that the Honda bikes have always generated. Goldwing - sure it's heavy, but has a forward and reverse crawler, so never a problem. And the stability at speed, even with a gusty crosswind, is just the best! Earlier today, I had the VFR1200X on the road to blow out the cobwebs - sneaky fast, and so much fun! It's been a while since my '05 ST1300 took me places, but I do have fond memories. As others have said, there are a number of lighter Hondas on the market, choose one and enjoy!

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
The RT's lesser weight is indeed sweet when moving it in your garage or in a parking lot. Little less intimidating when a U-turn is required, also. And although I'm finding my new RT to be a very good bike, my feeling about it lacks the enthusiasm that the Honda bikes have always generated. Goldwing - sure it's heavy, but has a forward and reverse crawler, so never a problem. And the stability at speed, even with a gusty crosswind, is just the best! Earlier today, I had the VFR1200X on the road to blow out the cobwebs - sneaky fast, and so much fun! It's been a while since my '05 ST1300 took me places, but I do have fond memories. As others have said, there are a number of lighter Hondas on the market, choose one and enjoy!
I wonder if the wing tour model would be better/different than the base model I rode and did not like.
Maybe vstrom

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A non owner browsing this forum might think it’s a good chance ST1300s have rear brakes that lock up, secondary master cylinders that dealers can’t fix, a wobble or weave at high speed, maybe a bad fuel pump, alternators costing $700 and 10 hours of labor to repair, annoying strange electrical gremlins or no starts that can be traced to a ground wire system that’s inadequate for the bike as it ages. And they all leak coolant……. We of course know better and unless we’ve had some of these issues to set right on our ST.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
A non owner browsing this forum might think it’s a good chance ST1300s have rear brakes that lock up, secondary master cylinders that dealers can’t fix, a wobble or weave at high speed, maybe a bad fuel pump, alternators costing $700 and 10 hours of labor to repair, annoying strange electrical gremlins or no starts that can be traced to a ground wire system that’s inadequate for the bike as it ages. And they all leak coolant……. We of course know better and unless we’ve had some of these issues to set right on our ST.
I had two defective 2003 ST1300s…….one attracted a six point buck that did it in and another ST1300 went out of its way to hit a concrete landscape paver causing $7000.00 worth of damage. My 2004 blue ST1300 was choosier how it was ridden.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had two defective 2003 ST1300s…….one attracted a six point buck that did it in and another ST1300 went out of its way to hit a concrete landscape paver causing $7000.00 worth of damage. My 2004 blue ST1300 was choosier how it was ridden.
The point being to the OP that forums are going to attract complaints a lot more than high praises. I put a lot of miles on my ST1300 and I thought I would always be riding an ST1300. It was a fantastic sport touring bike. Now that I’ve had my RT for almost 50 no 52,000 miles I am glad I made the trade.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
OP may want to consider lowering his ST. Shorter bikes SEEM lighter than they really are. I lowered my ST1100 and it made a huge difference. I had a lowered Works shock installed, a lower profile rear tire, and had a motorcycle suspension shop lower the front a like amount. It felt like a different bike. I wish I hadn't sold it, especially when you consider how little I got for it.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
The point being to the OP that forums are going to attract complaints a lot more than high praises. I put a lot of miles on my ST1300 and I thought I would always be riding an ST1300. It was a fantastic sport touring bike. Now that I’ve had my RT for almost 50 no 52,000 miles I am glad I made the trade.
Yeah, I get that complaints show up more than praise. I still think of my ST1300 bikes as one of my favorites ….. the only complaint was the lack of factory cruise. Otherwise, the ST1300 was a very comfortable mile eater.

Top Bottom