BMW RT riders here. GS also

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Same thing. Heavy. Getting old sucks
So then we're moving into RT or GS(A - Need long legs) territory.

Yes, when I ride my 2015 GSA with 50K on it into the ground (it'll be a while), I'll buy a new one. That said, I have not had any issues with that bike at all. Was riding a lot of offroad and gnarly stuff during the early years of this bike. But I realized that getting old sucks, and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere solo sucks too. So the GSA is now strictly a touring bike, with a little gravel and fire road stuff tossed in. And I love this Bavarian tractor.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
So then we're moving into RT or GS(A - Need long legs) territory.
<SNIP>
But I realized that getting old sucks, and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere solo sucks too. So the GSA is now strictly a touring bike, with a little gravel and fire road stuff tossed in. And I love this Bavarian tractor.
Simple answer... find someone else to ride with, offroad.
Always better to have another back, or two, to help lift it back onto its wheels.
The big ole pig IS quite capable, and even in the rough stuff, with the right technique.

Bike
2021 R1250RT
Checking in with '21 R1250RT, previously had ST1300. The RT is a very capable machine. The ACC type cruise control is fabulous & works very well. Suspension is great, ABS, traction control, self canceling signals, sound system, etc., nearly everything you could ask for. Ah but it does have some vibes compared to those sweet V4s. Not really objectionable but they are there. Not a fan of the phone reliant navigation system. Plan to remedy that w/ a Garmin. Still kind of a reach to the ground for us short folks too.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Checking in with '21 R1250RT, previously had ST1300. The RT is a very capable machine. The ACC type cruise control is fabulous & works very well. Suspension is great, ABS, traction control, self canceling signals, sound system, etc., nearly everything you could ask for. Ah but it does have some vibes compared to those sweet V4s. Not really objectionable but they are there. Not a fan of the phone reliant navigation system. Plan to remedy that w/ a Garmin. Still kind of a reach to the ground for us short folks too.
Congrats! Pictures?

yeah the navigation integrated stuff is useless in my opinion but some are liking it. The zumo is still a better option. I found it felt good for my short legs but I was on a couple adv bikes before that. I can easily flat foot one foot and both if I inch forward just a bit.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm still debating a Beemer. Pushing my ST around on my gravel driveway is really hard. Takes a three-point turn to turn it around. Ugh.
Looked at:
2003 R1150RT - wet weight 615lbs ~115lbs less than an ST w ABS
2010 R1200RT - wet weight 570lbs ~160lbs less than an ST w ABS

Bike
2021 R1250RT
Congrats! Pictures?

yeah the navigation integrated stuff is useless in my opinion but some are liking it. The zumo is still a better option. I found it felt good for my short legs but I was on a couple adv bikes before that. I can easily flat foot one foot and both if I inch forward just a bit.
There are a couple here --> https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-st1100-st1300-today.166923/page-160#post-2434432 #3197
Added frt. & rear crash bars and bar end weights since then so it's porkier now.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
If you're looking for a lighter bike with good touring capability the Tracer 900 GT or Tracer 9 GT is a good option. About 500 LB, great handling, great power, ABS, cruise control etc............. I'm continuing to enjoy my 2019 GT.

Downside........... chain vs. shaft + weather protection as fairings are small vs. an ST, FJR or and RT.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
I took out a 2020 rt now and found the vibes worse than the 2018?
Was ok up to about 110 kph. But got worse above that. May be heavier bar end weights?

Bike
2021 R1250RT
I took out a 2020 rt now and found the vibes worse than the 2018?
Was ok up to about 110 kph. But got worse above that. May be heavier bar end weights?
I did fit HVMP weights. They look great & seemed to help but I still have an issue w/ my right hand going numb after a short time. I don't think vibration is causing it as I had the problem riding the ST also.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I did fit HVMP weights. They look great & seemed to help but I still have an issue w/ my right hand going numb after a short time. I don't think vibration is causing it as I had the problem riding the ST also.
Risers might help that.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Well, I have been riding beemers for years and have had very good luck with them mechanically. Rock solid and almost trouble free has been my experience. I have tried, at times, to stay away, …….but like drawn to a magnet, I continue to gravitate back to a boxer. It’s happened again……

This is my latest, I bought about a week ago. 2016 R1200GS, triple black with 13k miles. A couple of days ago, I spent a long day in the garage giving it a full service. Oil and filter change, final drive fluid change and lubed the splines, new spark plugs, valve check (all in spec) new air filter, installed speed bleeders and flushed brake fluid front and back. Whew…..

This won’t be a low mile bike for long……lol!

IMG_2113.jpeg

Top Bottom