BMW RT riders here. GS also

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
Have you looked at the K1600. Yes I know it’s not lighter. But oh my. Had I stayed with the ST, I would’ve put all stuff I have on my K1600 GTL Exclusive. I do like the way it snorts even with the stock exhaust.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Have you looked at the K1600. Yes I know it’s not lighter. But oh my. Had I stayed with the ST, I would’ve put all stuff I have on my K1600 GTL Exclusive. I do like the way it snorts even with the stock exhaust.
Have sat on a couple and yes nice, but just feel too heavy.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
My neighbor is a Moto Guzzi guy and he got himself a new V100 a month or so back. I have only seen a photo so far, but it sure is beautiful and the internet says it's around 515lbs.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
My neighbor is a Moto Guzzi guy and he got himself a new V100 a month or so back. I have only seen a photo so far, but it sure is beautiful and the internet says it's around 515lbs.
Sat on a v85tt a couple of times and did like it. but small dealer network up here and tube type tires. Hard to get parts etc etc.
safer to go to vstrom which is an option.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
1050 vstrom with kappa/Givi windscreen and handle bar wind deflectors.Pick your luggage ,soft or hard.Bullett proof bike.Pleasing aray of easy to navigate electronics.CRUISE.What like 30 years of improvement and extensive dealer network.
The new Dl 800 has some rave reviews also.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
1050 vstrom with kappa/Givi windscreen and handle bar wind deflectors.Pick your luggage ,soft or hard.Bullett proof bike.Pleasing aray of easy to navigate electronics.CRUISE.What like 30 years of improvement and extensive dealer network.
The new Dl 800 has some rave reviews also.
Seriously looking at 1050. 650 actually more comfy, but think I would miss low end torque.
Ps just curious, how often do you have to adjust the chain.

My st1300 is getting to be too heavy for me.
This is not dumping on bmw, instead looking for info/experiences/opinions.
Last time I test rode an Rt was in 2010. Loved it. Didn’t buy it because poor dealer network and the old drive shaft problems etc.
Fast forward to now and I hoped things have improved so took out 2018 1200rt last week but not on highway so only got to 100 kph. Again great ride but still viby.
Over 100lbs lighter and it feels like it. Nice!
Sign on to various BMW owner forums and geez. Seems like more problems than ever. Splines/driveshaft, switchgear etc etc. 30 TSB’s for 2018 Hope to test 1250rt this week.
Can the guys on here with RT’s and even GS’s pass on their experiences, opinions. Would you buy another one?
Answering here or msg me is appreciated.
2009 RT, best sport tourer ever! Just change the oil, change the transmission fluid, lube the splines.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I haven’t yet.But appert first one 8000. K. Get a factory centre stand(expensive if you don’t go to the model level that has it.
No solvents , rag clean,lube at fill up at end of day,wipe off excess,or get a chain oiler.1 beer job.
More info on Stromtrooper site than a STOWNERS oil thread! Did l say oil thread!

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
I haven’t yet.But appert first one 8000. K. Get a factory centre stand(expensive if you don’t go to the model level that has it.
No solvents , rag clean,lube at fill up at end of day,wipe off excess,or get a chain oiler.1 beer job.
More info on Stromtrooper site than a STOWNERS oil thread! Did l say oil thread!
I would probably use a Tutoro oiler. Been through hundreds of posts on stormtrooper and haven’t found any saying how long between adjustments. Hope to take out 1050 next week.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wouldn't mess with an oiler, chains have come a long way over the years. I would just spray and wipe to clean once every day of a ride.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
For my Versys X300 (yes, I know it is a 300) I bought an aftermarket "gold" chain and clean it with DuPont Chain wax periodically. I have never adjusted this chain after 5,000 miles. Tewster2 on ADVrider lubed his chain at the end of the riding day when it was still warm. They say to just keep it clean and clean it with something that will prevent rust. I like the chain wax.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Doesn’t matter anymore. Took out 2020, for over a hour, which to me wasn’t as nice as the 2017. Vibes were ok up to 100-110kph but at 120+ they were not so good. Gave me headache in 1/2 hr. Screen not so good either at those speeds,so I can see why others buy the Werks QR.
May be just too used to my 2nd ST13, but weight is getting to me now and need something lighter.
Anyways can see why people like their RT’s just not for me
Was going to say something similar to this...
I have the K1600 GTL E. The '23 ECU wants you to be in 6th by the time you're doing 30mph, but that's just boring. She'll happily break the speed limit in 2ng gear, and earlier today, in an average 50mph I went to overtake a van that had crawled at 35 for a few too many miles... 3rd gear roll on and I was doing 75 before blinking.

The K16 makes the spaceships in Star Trek look slow. Wind the throttle past 5K RPM and she growls from the airbox (which happens to be right in front of the riders groin, so you get to hear it nicely). Wearing ear plugs I'm yet to hear the stock exhaust, but riding in cold weather a buddy did say he enjoyed the waft of warm air coming out the back of my bike.

Same thing. Heavy. Getting old sucks
Yes, the K16 is not a light bike (in-fact, heavier than my ST)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wouldn't mess with an oiler, chains have come a long way over the years. I would just spray and wipe to clean once every day of a ride.
Likey this. Ixnay on the oiler if you want the wheel to stay as clean as a shaft drive bike. Unless I’m riding 500 miles or more in the rain I don’t even wipe the chain each day. Take a miniature spray can of WD40 in a sandwich bag with a few blue paper shop towels. Dampen a paper towel with it and wipe the chain clean. That’s it. My NC goes 8,000 miles or more without a chain adjustment. It’s not very powerful in the engine department but it has a 520 pitch chain which is smaller than chains on bikes you are looking at.

Bike
ST1100, BMW GSA
I believe ST1100's were the best bike ever created. I sold BMWs and Triumphs and told this to anyone who was shopping for a BMW and asked what I thought was the best bike made. I've owned 3 and put on about 130K on them. Also owned three R1200 GSA's (2007,2012, and currently a 2016), to the tune of 145K miles. In between owned some of the GSA's and an RT I tried an africa twin DCT, TIger 800, and the 2009 R1200RT for about 20K. The RT did everything the ST1100's did but simply felt more refined. I only sold it due to hand arthritis and wanting the trick buttery suspension on the 2016 GSA. Never had a serious failure with any of my 73 bikes over the years. RTs can have problems though, like any bike. The shaft service bulletin on all wetheads from 2014-2018 did not inspire confidence either. I service my bikes myself and am anal about doing stuff well ahead of schedule. A newer wethead RT would be a phenomenal improvement suspension wise over any ST11 or 13 for sure. Cruise control is great to have as well, and weather protection is second to none. I still look at every ST 1100 that pops up though, as they are very smooth and I love them still. ST1300's are really nice once rolling but heaven forbid you get caught pushing one around because they are the second most top heavy feeling bike I know, the old K1200LT's being the all time winner.

Top Bottom