Dark side

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Playing both videos side-by-side, it's obvious the MC tire puts less rubber on the road in upright, straight line conditions while the car tire puts down at least as much in the corners.

Mac, I'll take yur view over anything I've read on the web.
Thanks George. Those videos definately show why I went with the CT. I will admit, it takes just a bit more to get it leaned over than a M/C tire, but it takes all of 15 seconds to get used to that part and then it's business as usual.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is something telling in the oft repeated comment "it handles and turns just fine once you get used to it". I have heard or read the comment in practically every discussion on the subject.

Just what do you have to get used to? Does the bike initially resist turning or is the first few degrees of lean somewhat disproportionate to the amount of countersteer that is normally applied to turn a MC tire equipped motorcycle vs the same machine with a CT mounted?

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
There is something telling in the oft repeated comment "it handles and turns just fine once you get used to it". I have heard or read the comment in practically every discussion on the subject.

Just what do you have to get used to? Does the bike initially resist turning or is the first few degrees of lean somewhat disproportionate to the amount of countersteer that is normally applied to turn a MC tire equipped motorcycle vs the same machine with a CT mounted?
The latter. And as I said it is a minute amount more pressure on the handlebar. My driveway is 22' long. The first stop sign is 60' away from the mouth of my drive and by the time I got to the stop sign, I had the additional 1/2 ounce of pressure required mastered. A new set of tires on the same bike requires less pressure to lean than an old set that have flattened in the center of the tire.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
That's what I tell people about the ST. :D

Tom, ya forgot to add the obligatory <ducking!> to that post. So, here's yur PIE!

(Unless, of course, you were alluding to only the 1300, in which case I'll let it pass.) <ducking!> :D

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
In the video, the Valk was running 40 psi in the CT. Most darksiders run between 28 to 32 psi which would put even more tread on the road in turns. This psi range seems to give the best feel, traction and smooth ride under most conditions.

Gary

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I am sitting here just a fuzz north of Padden knowing how much fun he is having with this thread. I'm thinking about buying a banjo and a 205/55/16 and see what comes of it.

Let's add some more variables to the topic;

My sister dated this guy that was a SCCA member. He raced his showroom stock Fiat 124 in a class the the VW Siroccos and Alfa Romeros, etc. He would buy brand new tires and take them to a tire company and have the brand new tread shaved down. I thought that was stupid so I asked why he would do such a thing. He said shaving the tread made the tires faster.

Along that same thought process I feel like my PRII's are more confidence inspiring now with 10,000 miles on them than they did when the tires were brand new.

Maybe the same things applies to a CT on a MC when it is worn down and the tread is not so tall.

Mac and Gary, I know you meant well in this post but I am now taking an extra dose of Celexa just so I can deal with this thread.

Jeff

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm Happy with MC tires for now...great discussion... I would take a ride on a aWing with a CT though.....just "To See what it's like" :crackup

On the filp side of darksiding.....I wouldnt consider mounting a car-tire on my BMW K-bike. There is just no real good reason to do so. The Metz's protect the rims very well, and there is no issue with traction on a 500-600 pound bike. With lighter bikes it would be more difficult to generate the Force of the mighty wing.

"Once you have experienced the Power of the Darkside" :hyp1:

:bmwkick1: he. he.. he.....Don ...:TiWing1:

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
You wont see a CT on a moto gp bike because they have exacting criteria that are not needed on the public streets (smooth transitions side to side, superb traction, quick turn in, etc, etc)
??? :confused: ??? That's pretty much everything I look for in a street tire. :D
George's vid the bike didn't lean a whole lot more than it does on a kickstand, certainly not 45 degrees.

Maybe on a Valk. I tried a Buddies Valk out, first stop sign I turned left at I dug hard parts into the road, they lean what seemed so little before dragging stuff (was more genteel and careful after that one, yikes). Not enough lean angle in the bike to sweat it a whole bunch. However on an ST? yeah the ST grounds out a little early but not as early as a Valk. Put a peg to earth on the ST and take a vid. I doubt it would be looking real superb back there with a CT on.

Fine sitting on the slab I suppose, but sure not an option for me. Always thought it was very oddball, or eccentric, like some stuff invented by the English (not a slur against the English, I dearly, deeply, loved my Triumph, BSA Goldstar, Greeves, James, etc. But look at Mr. Lucas electrics, and those Greeves forks along with shifter on the right, all that sort of thing :p: )

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I rode a Valk ona test ride several years ago, grounded both pegs just getting out'a the parking lot! :22yikes:

TPadden

Tom Padden
I rode a Valk ona test ride several years ago, grounded both pegs just getting out'a the parking lot! :22yikes:
Either there was something wrong with the Valk or you just kept dropping it :D. Seriously I have no problem keeping up with this group:

on this bike:

at a very brisk pace. ;)

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
When I was in Spartanburg for the IBR start, I saw one FJR and one GL1800 with a car tire. There may have been others, but that was all I saw. On the FJR, the guy riding it has FJRforum name "Catfish" and he makes and sells a narrower brake caliper strut which has to be used since the OEM one will rub the CT. We'll see how it does in the IBR, but makes some sense especially not worrying about tire changes like most will do.

JDP

Top Bottom